d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Revelation Series - Jesus Revealed > #4 Be Faithful To The End
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 152.00
Nov 4 2014 09:52pm
Even if God doesn't exist, prayer isn't a waste of time because it has all sorts of psychological benefits, and you sound like a condescending shithead.

This post was edited by Voyaging on Nov 4 2014 09:53pm
Gold: 0.00
Nov 4 2014 10:02pm
Quote (Voyaging @ 5 Nov 2014 03:52)
Even if God doesn't exist, prayer isn't a waste of time because it has all sorts of psychological benefits, and you sound like a condescending shithead.

I'm not trying to be condescending... sorry if it sounds like I am.

Prayer to me is just an example of time lost on religion. I'm sure it does have some benefits for the believer... But to me the negative outweighs the positive. It is part of a condition which has a negative effect on their life as a whole.

Also prayer is not all positive on it's own, excerpt from harvard study on prayer -

Investigators enrolled 1,802 bypass surgery patients from six hospitals and randomly assigned each to one of three groups: 604 patients received intercessory prayer after being informed they may or may not receive prayers (Group 1); 597 patients did not receive prayer after being informed they may or may not receive prayer (Group 2); and 601 patients received intercessory prayer after being informed they would receive it (Group 3).
Caregivers and independent auditors comparing case reports to medical records were unaware of the patients' assignments throughout the study. The study enlisted members of three Christian groups, two Catholic and one Protestant, to provide prayer throughout the multi-year study. The researchers approached other denominations, but none were able to make the time commitments that the study required.
Some patients were told they may or may not receive intercessory prayer: complications occurred in 52 percent of those who received prayer (Group 1) versus 51 percent of those who did not receive prayer (Group 2). Complications occurred in 59 percent of patients who were told they would receive prayer (Group 3) versus 52 percent, who also received prayer, but were uncertain of receiving it (Group 1). Major complications and thirty-day mortality were similar across the three groups.

In closing -

“It is scientifically proven that prayer leads to a plethora of mental deficiencies,” Dr. John Christian, PhD WIT

This post was edited by Scaly on Nov 4 2014 10:05pm
Gold: 500.00
Nov 4 2014 10:05pm
Quote (IceMage @ Nov 4 2014 10:44pm)
Communicating with the God of the universe is not mindless and certainly is not a waste of time.

Praying and meditation takes minutes a day, lol.  It's just like the hour I spend at the gym, which judging by your personal pic, is a practice you avoid.  Meditation is extremely beneficial and makes me a better person.

I'm really not depressed right now... I think it's a seasonal thing.  I create a better life every day, and that creating process includes meditation and prayer.  Spiritual maturity is a rare gift, especially in Britain.  :(

so what'd he say last time you talked to him :huh: ?
Nov 4 2014 10:07pm
Quote (duffman316 @ 5 Nov 2014 04:05)
so what'd he say last time you talked to him :huh:  ?

I believe it's more of a one way thing. He sends messages knowing god gets them and listens to them.
Gold: 5,016.77
Nov 4 2014 10:12pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Nov 4 2014 11:05pm)
so what'd he say last time you talked to him :huh:  ?

You don't want to know.
Nov 4 2014 10:13pm
Quote (Scaly @ Nov 4 2014 11:02pm)
I'm not trying to be condescending... sorry if it sounds like I am.

Prayer to me is just an example of time lost on religion. I'm sure it does have some benefits for the believer... But to me the negative outweighs the positive. It is part of a condition which has a negative effect on their life as a whole.

Also prayer is not all positive on it's own, excerpt from harvard study on prayer -

In closing -

“It is scientifically proven that prayer leads to a plethora of mental deficiencies,” Dr. John Christian, PhD WIT

Benefits for the prayer, not the prayee.

Obviously praying for someone doesn't cure their cancer.

Also that quote is legitimately one of the dumbest things I've ever read and that guy is an embarrassment to science.

This post was edited by Voyaging on Nov 4 2014 10:20pm
Nov 4 2014 10:17pm
Quote (Voyaging @ 5 Nov 2014 04:13)
Benefits for the prayer, not the prayee.

Obviously praying for someone doesn't cure their cancer.

My bad. Should look up Doctor John Christian's study then. Or do some research on the mental disorders that prayer can lead to. I rlly can't be fucked tbh... I have had enough for tonight.

Prayer sucks imo. Leads to mental disorders and can help reinforce indoctrination or lead to feelings of isolation, abandonment and hopelessness.
Gold: 5,016.77
Nov 4 2014 10:20pm
Quote (Scaly @ Nov 4 2014 11:17pm)
My bad. Should look up Doctor John Christian's study then. Or do some research on the mental disorders that prayer can lead to. I rlly can't be fucked tbh... I have had enough for tonight.

Prayer sucks imo. Leads to mental disorders and can help reinforce indoctrination or lead to feelings of isolation, abandonment and hopelessness.

Lol, maybe for a transgender trying to find God, but not for the elect.
Nov 4 2014 10:22pm
Quote (Scaly @ Nov 4 2014 11:17pm)

I can't find the study, I'm thinking it's a hoax and idk if this guy even exists.
Nov 4 2014 10:22pm
Quote (IceMage @ 5 Nov 2014 04:20)
Lol, maybe for a transgender trying to find God, but not for the elect.

I have never prayed. Not seriously at least... i have said prayers and sung hymns but never with the belief I was speaking to god.

As you said - Science doesn't lie. Studies indicate prayer leads to mental deficiencies.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll