d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Chelsea Clinton Changes 2016 Election Dynamic
Prev123457Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 20.31
Apr 21 2014 11:37am
Quote (Mastersam93 @ Apr 20 2014 10:05am)
Speculation by whom?

Absolute nobodies, LOL. That's even if it's true. This changes nothing.
Gold: 7,252.72
Apr 21 2014 11:42am
Quote (Pollster @ Apr 21 2014 01:37pm)
Absolute nobodies, LOL. That's even if it's true. This changes nothing.

By TAL KOPAN | 4/17/14 4:31 PM EDT Updated: 4/18/14 11:43 PM EDT

In a joint appearance, Chelsea and Hillary Clinton announced Thursday that Chelsea is expecting her first child later this year.

Speaking at a No Ceilings event, sponsored by the Clinton Foundation and Microsoft, the Clintons addressed women’s issues with moderator and actress America Ferrera at the Lower Eastside Girls Club in New York City. At the end of the event, Chelsea Clinton expressed how inspiring she found the audience of women — for multiple reasons.

“Marc [Mezvinsky] and I are very excited that we have our first child arriving later this year, and I certainly feel all the better — whether it’s a girl or a boy — that she or he will grow up in a world full of so many strong young female leaders, so thank you for inspiring me and thank you for inspiring future generations, including the one that we’ll be lucky enough to welcome into our family later this year,” Chelsea Clinton said. “I just hope that I will be as good a mom to my child, and hopefully children, as my mom was to me.”

“Girls: A No Ceilings Conversation” was livestreamed and brought four schools from around the country in via Skype as well as questions from viewers worldwide. The conversation touched on everything from human trafficking, to girls in STEM education, to immigration reform.

The former secretary of state beamed as her daughter announced the news of her grandchild, “which I’m really excited about,” she said.

Connecting the news to the topic of the day, Hillary Clinton said it made the efforts of No Ceilings more pressing.

“It makes this work even more important,” Clinton said. “Even in the course of my life, I’ve seen a lot of progress, but I want to see us keep moving, and certainly for future generations as well, so that maybe our grandchild will not have to be worried about some of the things that young women and young men worry about today. So obviously, we are very excited about what’s happening in our family, but we’re also very excited because of what we’re doing that we hope gives confidence and support to so many of you across our country.”

The news was not entirely unexpected, as Clinton and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, have made no secret of their hope that their daughter would make them grandparents soon. Chelsea said in an interview last October that she and her husband planned to make 2014 “the year of the baby.”

Others have noted that Hillary Clinton has seemed more cheerful and relaxed in recent appearances, fueling theories that there was good news in her life.

With continued speculation around the former first lady’s plans for the 2016 presidential race, where she is the presumed frontrunner for the Democratic nomination, some have wondered whether a grandchild might make Clinton less likely to enter the fray.

Apr 21 2014 11:45am
I'm not sure what that's from given that there's no link to it but it looks like a typical article written by a member of the chattering class. Those people don't know anything about elections, they are paid to chatter and fill up column inches.
Apr 21 2014 11:49am
Quote (Pollster @ Apr 21 2014 01:45pm)
I'm not sure what that's from given that there's no link to it but it looks like a typical article written by a member of the chattering class. Those people don't know anything about elections, they are paid to chatter and fill up column inches.

..I clearly identified them as political pundits , something you are not . It was a topic of discussion on the Sunday morning network talk shows .
Apr 21 2014 12:02pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Apr 21 2014 01:49pm)
..I clearly identified them as political pundits , something you are not . It was a topic of discussion on the Sunday morning network talk shows .

That's definitely true, I am not a pundit. I actually understand how elections work.
Apr 21 2014 12:04pm
Quote (Pollster @ Apr 21 2014 02:02pm)
That's definitely true, I am not a pundit. I actually understand how elections work.

...what you don't understand is people . If she chooses not to run all your supposed ability to crunch polls on a computer are worthless .
Apr 21 2014 12:07pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Apr 21 2014 02:04pm)
...what you don't understand is people . If she chooses not to run all your supposed ability to crunch polls on a computer are worthless .

Well, no, I understand people quite well, especially in the context of politics because unlike the chattering class I actually have years of experience in campaigns and candidate recruitment. And unlike them I don't have the need to focus on a bunch of inside baseball nonsense that'll cause me to scramble to find a campaign cliché, including an all-time favorite: "oh my god, a family event, this changes EVERYTHING!!!111one"

I'm not sure what the second half of your babbling is supposed to mean. This is not a local activist being approached by the party to take the plunge for the first time and run for the House. Hillary Clinton is a Tier 1 Presidential candidate, and this isn't even pertaining to a spouse or a member of her immediate family. Changes the 2016 election dynamic? LOL.

This post was edited by Pollster on Apr 21 2014 12:18pm
Gold: Locked
Apr 21 2014 12:41pm
Quote (Pollster @ Apr 21 2014 11:07am)
Well, no, I understand people quite well, especially in the context of politics because unlike the chattering class I actually have years of experience in campaigns and candidate recruitment. And unlike them I don't have the need to focus on a bunch of inside baseball nonsense that'll cause me to scramble to find a campaign cliché, including an all-time favorite: "oh my god, a family event, this changes EVERYTHING!!!111one"

I'm not sure what the second half of your babbling is supposed to mean. This is not a local activist being approached by the party to take the plunge for the first time and run for the House. Hillary Clinton is a Tier 1 Presidential candidate, and this isn't even pertaining to a spouse or a member of her immediate family. Changes the 2016 election dynamic? LOL.

This just in: a daughter isn't a member of your immediate family.
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Apr 21 2014 02:42pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Apr 20 2014 10:04am)
...with the announcement that Chelsea Clinton is pregnant there is speculation that Hillary will not run for President but instead opt for the more traditional womens role of grandmother and better spend her time  helping her daughter than running around the country campaigning for office . A very interesting development indeed .

cause changing diapers is more important than world policy - cool I/ll tell that to my wife.
Gold: 5.77
Apr 22 2014 12:37pm
How did they turn "it makes this work even more important" into "less likely to enter the fray" ??
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123457Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll