d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2016 > Trump Vs Clinton
Prev1199819992000200120023169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 2,504.69
Jun 12 2018 07:10am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 12 2018 07:07am)
The expectation of legislation was what propped up the DOW in the first few months, but we're well beyond that point now. All the trends have settled back to where they were.

its almost like when you punch a shit load of money into the stock market as investment into corporations they invest in their own business, or something.

your stance is essentially like saying that a fighter took steroids but it didn't matter because their cycle was up by the time the fight happened. its nonsensical, and inexcusably ignorant about the basics of the economy and how stock investing actually works.

I've yet to see anything that Trump has done, or any company that has come out and said "We did X instead of Y because Trump promised Z". We actually had the opposite though, in that plenty of businesses when asked by the Trump administration said "I was planning on X, and I'm still doing X because X is a good idea regardless of Z".

so after months of downplaying (rightfully in many cases) businesses moving back to the US (Foxconn, Carrier, etc) you've now forgotten it happened at all?

or did you just not see the months worth of fluff pieces coming out of the whitehouse?

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jun 12 2018 07:11am
Gold: 260.11
Jun 12 2018 07:12am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 12 2018 07:10am)
its almost like when you punch a shit load of money into the stock market as investment into corporations they invest in their own business, or something.

your stance is essentially like saying that a fighter took steroids but it didn't matter because their cycle was up by the time the fight happened. its nonsensical, and inexcusably ignorant about the basics of the economy and how stock investing actually works.

Except I already gave credit to the tax cuts as a potential source of Trump actually doing something positive to the economy.

This is the second or third time you've done this, where you're attributing a hard-line stance to me that I just don't hold, even after I made the clarifications that I don't hold that stance.
Jun 12 2018 07:16am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 12 2018 07:12am)
Except I already gave credit to the tax cuts as a potential source of Trump actually doing something positive to the economy.

This is the second or third time you've done this, where you're attributing a hard-line stance to me that I just don't hold, even after I made the clarifications that I don't hold that stance.

I've yet to see anything that Trump has done, or any company that has come out and said "We did X instead of Y because Trump promised Z". We actually had the opposite though, in that plenty of businesses when asked by the Trump administration said "I was planning on X, and I'm still doing X because X is a good idea regardless of Z".

so after months of downplaying (rightfully in many cases) businesses moving back to the US (Foxconn, Carrier, etc) you've now forgotten it happened at all?

or did you just not see the months worth of fluff pieces coming out of the whitehouse?

stop being hyperbolic if you want to act factual. you're a hater that often delves outside of the facts to post for effect. that's fine but then back down, don't double down with more incorrect statements like the above.
Gold: 4,404.67
Jun 12 2018 07:19am
Quote (Thor123422 @ 12 Jun 2018 13:44)
Honestly, Trump's victory has been great for my personal and professional life. Ever since I realized that people are actually that easily manipulated I've been doing much better. Never underestimate how dumb people can be, and ever since Trump got elected I really took that to heart and have been doing great.

so... you're saying you found new ways of manipulating your step-mom into buying you groceries? :rofl:

Quote (Thor123422 @ 12 Jun 2018 14:32)
Trump had a cosmic coincidence. With how demographics are shaping up they better enjoy it while it lasts, because they've only got two or three more cycles before it becomes a mathematical impossibility to hold the executive.

only if the current allegiances and demographic trends continue into the future. if the GOP can hold onto its "Trump-margins" with white working class people, they can hang onto electoral college victories into the 2030s - according not to me, but to a study by the center for american progress, the brookings institute, the bipartisan policy center and the prri:

https://bipartisanpolicy.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/States-of-Change-Americas-Electoral-Future.pdf

and if the GOP can make even slight inroads among minorities, things are looking entirely different anyway. for example, asians (and not latinos) have been the largest-growing group of immigrants in recent years, and they tend to be more conservative overall than either latinos or blacks, even though they (of course...) still support dems at a higher rate than the gop. but the margin the dems are getting out of asian americans is smaller.

and there are also signs that 3rd-generation latinos, like any group of immigrants before them, is drifting towards conservatism and away from the democrats.

----

the notion that the democrats dont have to change anything about their current agenda, that they just have to wait until demographic change hands them everything effortlessly, is completely delusional. this thinking might have already cost them the 2016 election. when I just went through my list of bookmarks to find that pdf link, I stumbled across this gem from the washington post from march 2016:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/03/18/hillary-clinton-doesnt-need-white-men/?noredirect=on

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 12 2018 07:20am
Jun 12 2018 07:23am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 12 2018 07:19am)
so... you're saying you found new ways of manipulating your step-mom into buying you groceries? :rofl:

Congrats, you've fallen down to the level of the disembodied head.
Jun 12 2018 07:24am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 12 2018 07:16am)

stop being hyperbolic if you want to act factual. you're a hater that often delves outside of the facts to post for effect. that's fine but then back down, don't double down with more incorrect statements like the above.

I generally don't follow fluff pieces coming out of the whitehouse.

We go over those instances when they happen here, and generally, it comes down to "COMPANY X MOVES JOBS BACK TO THE UNITED STATES! Oh, wait the following week they announced it's 1/10th of the jobs they promised to move back? And it's only after we promised tax cuts that offset the benefits by 5x that amount? Shit."

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jun 12 2018 07:25am
Gold: 22,164.69
Jun 12 2018 07:25am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 12 2018 07:19am)

:hail:
Jun 12 2018 07:30am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 12 2018 07:24am)
I generally don't follow fluff pieces coming out of the whitehouse.

We go over those instances when they happen here, and generally, it comes down to "COMPANY X MOVES JOBS BACK TO THE UNITED STATES! Oh, wait the following week they announced it's 1/10th of the jobs they promised to move back? And it's only after we promised tax cuts that offset the benefits by 5x that amount? Shit."

Fluff pieces become frontage headlines on all news sources. so i'm not sure what type of media-ignoring you'd have to do to avoid those.

Also Foxxconn and Carrier both announced pre-tax cut, i included them as examples for a reason.

own your hyperbole?

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jun 12 2018 07:30am
Gold: 1,969.88
Jun 12 2018 07:31am
world peace at last!
Jun 12 2018 07:45am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 12 2018 07:30am)
Fluff pieces become frontage headlines on all news sources. so i'm not sure what type of media-ignoring you'd have to do to avoid those.

Also Foxxconn and Carrier both announced pre-tax cut, i included them as examples for a reason.

own your hyperbole?

The kind of media ignoring has mostly been trying to finish my current degree before starting medical school, at which point I'll likely go full blackout.

Thing is, the tax cuts can't be ignored as when Republicans got control of both chambers and the presidency it was already a done deal. That was the minimum everybody expected them to accomplish, cutting taxes.

My actual position with regards to Trump and the economy, and Obama and the economy, is that the president has very little influence on the economy and it largely depends who controls the chambers of Congress. The primary reason Trump's economy has been doing well is because Trump inherited a strong economy from Obama, they knew tax cuts would come from a Republican controlled congress and president, and other than that there hasn't been much change which allows businesses to "know the field" and make better long-term plans. Trump's policies that could be carried out by the executive are largely unable to be enacted because he hasn't properly staffed departments, such as the EPA under Pruitt.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jun 12 2018 07:46am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1199819992000200120023169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll