d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing Week
Prev1183184185186187443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 22,164.69
Sep 26 2018 01:51pm
There is nothing sure now. We've never been in waters like this media circus, everything on an hourly basis is uncharted territory
Gold: 5.77
Sep 26 2018 01:52pm
Quote (Brian_D @ Sep 26 2018 12:47pm)
Oh im sure they will push him through, no doubt about that. The republican party used to be, at least they called themselves, "The party of law and order" What a fucking pipe dream that was. There is no more law and order, only powerful and weak.

They will let the ladies say their piece and on Friday they will confirm their boy. Gotta get him in before they loose control in NOV.

They want civil war.

Watch them respond to this with "yes we will own the weak libs!"

Absolutely anti-American and totalitarian to a fault.

This post was edited by inkanddagger on Sep 26 2018 02:23pm
Gold: 2,504.69
Sep 26 2018 01:52pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Sep 26 2018 01:51pm)
There is nothing sure now. We've never been in waters like this media circus, everything on an hourly basis is uncharted territory

its a bit fucked up that i spent 30 minutes this morning in vain just trying to figure out if/when the accusers will go before the senate and what format they agreed to. paged and pages of wild speculation and reporting on reporting...
Gold: 2,620.00
Sep 26 2018 01:53pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 26 Sep 2018 14:13)
they're definitely real reviews. I've looked up a bunch of names of people on mylife.com and noticed plenty of incorrect bot-trawled data, but no personal/professional/dating reviews on anyone.
I was a bit wary that it might be some scam where it has template-generated reviews with personal data to smear people and convince them to pay them money to scrub their reputation, but there's no signs of that.
Of course, the automated data is either wrong or unconfirmed/dubious. She's definitely not an african-american with 10 kids, but she is 55, worked at IBM, has criminal lawsuits in her record, has tax liens, lives in maryland

Its particularly damning that her personal reviews from years ago including specific allegations that she lied to ruin people's lives. "She'll send you to jail by lying like she did with me." A defamation suit from 2000

So you think all of the sexual misconduct allegations are bullshit...

...but are willing to put a lot of stock into the equivalent of Yelp reviews?

If you want to say the sexual assault and misconduct claims against Kavanaugh don't have enough evidence and corroboration, that's more than fair. I'm actually inclined to agree. But I don't know how you can then simultaneously post these online reviews as 'interesting' evidence against Swetnick.

If your overall point over the past two to three pages is to point out that a certain threshold of evidence/corroboration/credibility must be met before taking allegations seriously, then 10/10 troll my good sir. That is a good point.

But otherwise...there's a huge difference between putting your name behind a sexual assault claim in the public during a heated national SCOTUS confirmation debate and an online yelp review.
Gold: 2,504.69
Sep 26 2018 01:55pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Sep 26 2018 01:53pm)

If you want to say the sexual assault and misconduct claims against Kavanaugh don't have enough evidence and corroboration, that's more than fair. I'm actually inclined to agree. But I don't know how you can then simultaneously post these online reviews as 'interesting' evidence against Swetnick.

If your overall point over the past two to three pages is to point out that a certain threshold of evidence/corroboration/credibility must be met before taking allegations seriously, then 10/10 troll my good sir. That is a good point.

But otherwise...there's a huge difference between putting your name behind a sexual assault claim in the public during a heated national SCOTUS confirmation debate and an online yelp review.

in criminal proceedings you call character witnesses to establish what kind of person someone is. both sides can do it. all of these witnesses can be blissfully ignorant to the crime or even specifics. they're just there to say what kind of person someone is.

these reviews, while unreliable i agree, do serve a purpose in that sense. they are imperfect by comparison, but let's be honest, character witnesses are always bs, its just under oath.
Gold: 2,009.99
Sep 26 2018 01:56pm
Quote (Brian_D @ Sep 26 2018 02:47pm)
Oh im sure they will push him through, no doubt about that.

Quote (Brian_D @ Sep 24 2018 06:17pm)
Kav is going down, just so all the righty tighties around here are aware.

Why the change of tune ?
Sep 26 2018 01:56pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Sep 26 2018 12:53pm)

The dude is willing to accept yahoo answers over sworn testimony that could lead to the stripping of her security clearance, perjury charges, and massive civil suits.
Gold: 4,404.67
Sep 26 2018 02:00pm

coincidence? I dont think so! ^_^
Gold: 22,164.69
Sep 26 2018 02:00pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Sep 26 2018 01:52pm)
its a bit fucked up that i spent 30 minutes this morning in vain just trying to figure out if/when the accusers will go before the senate and what format they agreed to. paged and pages of wild speculation and reporting on reporting...

I don't even try to figure out senate procedure. It took me long enough the other day just to figure out whether they have a friday session or not (they do), I couldn't figure out how the swearing in / ability to rehear oral arguments works on scotus

Quote (ThatAlex @ Sep 26 2018 01:53pm)

Independent, corroborating Yelp reviews that are timestamped as coming from long before she was in the public fray. Yes, I give those lots of stock, and I've been waiting patiently for any such evidence against Kavanaugh which has yet to materialize
I don't care if it was scribblings on a bathroom wall that told you to call Sputnik's phone number for a good time- if it can be established as clearly independent from the accusation and weighing into her credibility, that's significant evidence.

She provided essentially zero details for her allegation, leaving us nothing but her credibility to go on. And then we find out she has a history of being sued for defamation, accused of lying to ruin people's lives and accused of being a duplicitous whore.
Unlike classical smear campaigns against accusers (cough Bill Clinton Saga /cough), this history is independent of and predates the media spectacle. Which is precisely why it bears importance.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1183184185186187443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll