d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2016 > Trump Vs Clinton
Prev1182418251826182718283169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 14.88
Apr 26 2018 09:28am
Quote (duffman316 @ Apr 25 2018 06:14am)
#maga

White House budget czar Mick Mulvaney told banking executives that while he was serving in congress before joining the Trump administration, he enacted a pay-to-play scheme for lobbyists looking to meet with him. “We had a hierarchy in my office in Congress. If you’re a lobbyist who never gave us money, I didn’t talk to you,” Mulvaney explained to the 1,300 banking industry officials at the American Bankers Association conference. “If you’re a lobbyist who gave us money, I might talk to you.”

Makes sense. Lobbyists who donate to candidates are often ideologically similar to the policies the representatives campaign on. Like a conservative meeting with the NRA and not bothering to talking to Moms Demand Action or whatever the fuck it's called.
Gold: 2,504.69
Apr 26 2018 09:30am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 26 2018 09:25am)
the majority of republicans are corrupt crooks who will pretend to stand for whatever their voters want at any given moment. trump is forcing a massive policy realignment on the GOP in many fields, something like that doesnt happen over night; it will take several years.

but you can already see how figures like, for example, jeff flake have become outsiders in their own party. anti-welfare state republicans like paul ryan are losing influence all over the place. even the freedom caucus is aligning itself more and more with trump.

i think both bold are doing the same. i dont see any massive policy shifts tbh, just a tax plan that was preferred policy but never got done until now. its not like under trump the GOP has shifted on guns, immigration, regulation, crime, or HRC.
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 26 2018 09:37am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 26 2018 10:25am)
the majority of republicans are corrupt crooks who will pretend to stand for whatever their voters want at any given moment. trump is forcing a massive policy realignment on the GOP in many fields, something like that doesnt happen over night; it will take several years.

but you can already see how figures like, for example, jeff flake have become outsiders in their own party. anti-welfare state republicans like paul ryan are losing influence all over the place. even the freedom caucus is aligning itself more and more with trump.

Policy realignment on what? The trade issue is obviously one, but Republican politicians are constantly pushing back on that. The tax reform was classic Republicanism. Trump obviously doesn't care about running up the debt, which is classic Republicanism in practice. The non-interventionism has been a strain of the Republican party for a while, and has steadily become more popular. Getting tough on illegal immigration has been a Republican talking point for decades, I know Trump likes to pretend nobody talked about it before him, that's just not true.

Jeff Flake is an outsider because he speaks out against Trump's behavior in office. Trump is governing mostly as a standard Republican, apart from trade. It's his party right now, but when he leaves the personality cult is going with him, and the next Republican president isn't going to be a populist.
Gold: 4,404.67
Apr 26 2018 10:24am
Quote (IceMage @ 26 Apr 2018 17:37)
Policy realignment on what? The trade issue is obviously one, but Republican politicians are constantly pushing back on that. The tax reform was classic Republicanism. Trump obviously doesn't care about running up the debt, which is classic Republicanism in practice. The non-interventionism has been a strain of the Republican party for a while, and has steadily become more popular. Getting tough on illegal immigration has been a Republican talking point for decades, I know Trump likes to pretend nobody talked about it before him, that's just not true.

Jeff Flake is an outsider because he speaks out against Trump's behavior in office. Trump is governing mostly as a standard Republican, apart from trade. It's his party right now, but when he leaves the personality cult is going with him, and the next Republican president isn't going to be a populist.

many GOP politicians were talking tough on immigration before trump, but they never acted on it. moreover, trump has shifted the debate on immigration in a direction that is more in line with what voters truly care about: he was the one to raise the question whether legal immigration levels are too high, he was the one to question the green card lottery, he is the one who got the whole DACA/dreamer issue going and forced congress to no longer delay the issue.

a good summary is found in the following article:

https://www.vox.com/2018/2/14/17012358/immigration-congress-trump-daca

Legal immigration has replaced “amnesty” as the core of the debate.

Donald Trump singlehandedly changed the Republican Party’s position on legal immigration

The key insight of Donald Trump’s short political career — the one that allowed him to rocket to the top of the primary polls soon after he launched his campaign in June 2015 — was that a segment of the Republican base was hungry for a candidate that was willing to speak harshly not just about unauthorized immigration, but immigration itself.

The irony is that Trump’s brought Republicans to a position that’s more in line with what their voters care about. A majority of Republican voters have, for years, supported legalizing DREAMers. A majority have often supported legalizing unauthorized immigrants more broadly. And the divide between “citizenship” and “legalization without citizenship” has usually been a bigger problem for Republican elected officials, worried about the composition of future electorates, than Republican voters (many of whom are leery of anything that smacks of a “guest worker” program).

But the American public has never been able to come to a consensus on overall immigration levels. A lot more people want to see immigration reduced than want to see it expanded, and it’s only very recently that keeping current immigration levels has become more popular than imposing further restrictions.

his realignment on the trade issue is also obvious, as you already mentioned. his approach to the north korea issue has also been a sharp break from the stance of clinton, bush and obama. we'll have to wait and see in which direction his foreign policy will be headed form here on out.

anyway, he has brought a severe realignment on the issues of trade, immigration and the stance with which the US interacts with foreign powers.

therefore, I'd say yes and no: yes, trump is governing like a standard republican when it comes to taxes and deregulation, but he is taking a more populist, centrist position on welfare state issues and fiscal responsibility, and he is taking a much more hardline stance on immigration, trade and certain aspects of foreign policy. he really isnt a standard republican, and the big question, of course, is whether his brand of republicanism will outlast his term in office or whether it will go away with him.

Apr 26 2018 10:39am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 26 2018 10:24am)
many GOP politicians were talking tough on immigration before trump, but they never acted on it. moreover, trump has shifted the debate on immigration in a direction that is more in line with what voters truly care about: he was the one to raise the question whether legal immigration levels are too high, he was the one to question the green card lottery, he is the one who got the whole DACA/dreamer issue going and forced congress to no longer delay the issue.

his realignment on the trade issue is also obvious, as you already mentioned. his approach to the north korea issue has also been a sharp break from the stance of clinton, bush and obama. we'll have to wait and see in which direction his foreign policy will be headed form here on out.

anyway, he has brought a severe realignment on the issues of trade, immigration and the stance with which the US interacts with foreign powers.

therefore, I'd say yes and no: yes, trump is governing like a standard republican when it comes to taxes and deregulation, but he is taking a more populist, centrist position on welfare state issues and fiscal responsibility, and he is taking a much more hardline stance on immigration, trade and certain aspects of foreign policy. he really isnt a standard republican, and the big question, of course, is whether his brand of republicanism will outlast his term in office or whether it will go away with him.

you seem to contradict yourself tho. you said politicians are offering lip service, but say they've realigned. Like do you honestly think the majority of the GOP now support protectionist trade, or are they just offering lip service?
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 26 2018 10:53am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 26 2018 11:24am)

Well, these anti-immigration Republicans didn't have a Republican president in office. People forget, but Romney had a pretty tough stance on illegal immigration in 2012, he also was the one candidate speaking out against China on trade issues. I think you are right that Trump brought attention to legal immigration issues, which is something mainstream Republicans don't like to focus on.

I think Trump's foreign policy is pretty close to normal in practice... although his rhetoric is not. But yeah, his positions on trade and legal immigration conflict with traditional Republicanism.
Apr 26 2018 11:03am
Quote (thesnipa @ 26 Apr 2018 18:39)
you seem to contradict yourself tho. you said politicians are offering lip service, but say they've realigned. Like do you honestly think the majority of the GOP now support protectionist trade, or are they just offering lip service?

good point. what I meant is: we're in the middle of the realignment process. in the next years, many convinced anti-trump republicans like jeff flake will lose influence, resign or get primaried, while many republicans who are in line with the trump agenda will rise.

at the moment, the realignment is obviously just beginning and far from completed. and yes, if trump gets crushed in 2020, the "trump realignment" might get rolled back.

Apr 26 2018 11:23am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 26 2018 11:03am)
good point. what I meant is: we're in the middle of the realignment process. in the next years, many convinced anti-trump republicans like jeff flake will lose influence, resign or get primaried, while many republicans who are in line with the trump agenda will rise.

at the moment, the realignment is obviously just beginning and far from completed. and yes, if trump gets crushed in 2020, the "trump realignment" might get rolled back.

i don't think it's logical to expect protectionist trade to continue to grow in support. because i don't think the pro's of that will be heavy enough to outweigh the con's of it to get there. I'm not saying there are no pro's, or even that the con's outweigh the pro's by any wide margin. It's just that for a shift in our economic policy to take place you need really strong long lasting results. we're not getting that, and the "XXXX jobs returning" headlines aren't strong enough.

but yeah overall i think u just need a bit more distinction between lip service and realignment that's taken place, and realignment that could take place. i see a lot of lip service and a lot of maybes. i dont see a realignment on immigration at all, the wall is just the latest incarnation of a secure border which is a long standing position for the GOP.
Apr 26 2018 11:44am
Quote (thesnipa @ 26 Apr 2018 19:23)
i dont see a realignment on immigration at all, the wall is just the latest incarnation of a secure border which is a long standing position for the GOP.

lol? just 5 years ago, in 2013, a sizeable chunk of the GOP caucus was willing to sign a comprehensive amnesty for up to 11 million illegal aliens into law.
Apr 26 2018 11:58am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 26 2018 11:44am)
lol? just 5 years ago, in 2013, a sizeable chunk of the GOP caucus was willing to sign a comprehensive amnesty for up to 11 million illegal aliens into law.

and they don't actually support funding the wall today. it's all lip service. they talked for years about a secure border, like 20 years, ever wonder why no one actually suggested a wall? because they knew they couldn't get it funded. it was all lip service to look tough on an issue while padding some funding for ICE and other man powered border security.

i bet if you took a secret poll of all the GOP you'd find the wall is nothing but a thorn in their side. its trump's big threat and a budgeting nightmare.

it's not as if a wall is a brilliant innovation, its the easiest thing to get stupid people in favor of.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Apr 26 2018 11:59am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1182418251826182718283169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll