d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2016 > Trump Vs Clinton
Prev1182318241825182618273169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 25.00
Apr 26 2018 08:37am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 26 2018 09:33am)
destroying the republican party? lol?!?

if it hadnt been for trump and all the voters he himself brought to the ballot, the GOP would have been destroyed in 2016, losing the white house again and losing control of the senate on top of that.

he is reshaping the GOP, away from the internationalist and weak-on-immigration party of the george w bush era, away from the neoliberal "paul ryan agenda" and towards a more populist agenda.

that the proponents of the "old" GOP are considering this a destruction of their party is understandable, but it doesnt mean that the GOP is getting destroyed in the sense of losing electability. in the end, trumps agenda would be decently popular if it were not for trumps awful personal conduct and constant tweeting.

and in particular, I really dont see how what's happening to the GOP these days under trump would be good for libertarians. trump is reshaping the GOP away from the core goals of libertarians. if the libertarian agenda was popular, romney or (maybe in 2016 or 2020) ryan would have been elected president, not trump.

Thanks for the multiple laughs. I just got 3 huge jobs thrown on my desk all at once at work and was stuck in a big sigh moment. I needed it.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 26 2018 08:39am
Quote (Mangix @ Apr 26 2018 06:37am)
Thanks for the multiple laughs. I just got 3 huge jobs thrown on my desk all at once at work and was stuck in a big sigh moment. I needed it.

Just quit.
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 26 2018 08:44am
Quote (Mangix @ Apr 26 2018 10:37am)

Libs be like

Gold: 22,164.69
Apr 26 2018 08:48am
I mean at least I have the memory of posting repeatedly on PARD a couple years ago about how the republican party was due to self-destruct and tear itself apart as it fades into irrelevancy due to the lurching monstrosity that was the tea party pulling them into pieces that the democrats could pick apart. The big worry was that out of control radicals would fracture them so badly it would be the end of the two-party system after maybe two decades of democrat hegemony.
Instead Trump came along and usurped the throne with a populist movement that exploited the democrats self-destructing. And now we go on about how the berniecrats and clintonistas are at each others throats

Black Listerine is right, if it wasn't for Trump, the republicans would have imploded in 2016. We went from doomsayers predicting the collapse of the GOP to a blow-out victory
Gold: 4,404.67
Apr 26 2018 08:57am
Quote (Goomshill @ 26 Apr 2018 16:48)
Black Listerine is right, if it wasn't for Trump, the republicans would have imploded in 2016. We went from doomsayers predicting the collapse of the GOP to a blow-out victory

blow out victory... for now. If trump ends up failing spectacularly, which is well within the realm of possibility, it could still turn out to be a pyrrhic victory in the end.

btw the second part of my nick is Xistenz, like "Existence". :bonk:
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 26 2018 09:12am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 26 2018 09:33am)
destroying the republican party? lol?!?

if it hadnt been for trump and all the voters he himself brought to the ballot, the GOP would have been destroyed in 2016, losing the white house again and losing control of the senate on top of that.

he is reshaping the GOP, away from the internationalist and weak-on-immigration party of the george w bush era, away from the neoliberal "paul ryan agenda" and towards a more populist agenda.

that the proponents of the "old" GOP are considering this a destruction of their party is understandable, but it doesnt mean that the GOP is getting destroyed in the sense of losing electability. in the end, trumps agenda would be decently popular if it were not for trumps awful personal conduct and constant tweeting.

and in particular, I really dont see how what's happening to the GOP these days under trump would be good for libertarians. trump is reshaping the GOP away from the core goals of libertarians. if the libertarian agenda was popular, romney or (maybe in 2016 or 2020) ryan would have been elected president, not trump.

I honestly don't think the Republican party is being reshaped. The vast majority of Republican politicians aren't populists... they're either standard Republicans or freedom caucus Republicans. Right-wing populism will pretty much be dead after Trump leaves office. Paul Ryan 2024.
Gold: 2,504.69
Apr 26 2018 09:17am
Quote (Goomshill @ Apr 26 2018 08:48am)
I mean at least I have the memory of posting repeatedly on PARD a couple years ago about how the republican party was due to self-destruct and tear itself apart as it fades into irrelevancy due to the lurching monstrosity that was the tea party pulling them into pieces that the democrats could pick apart. The big worry was that out of control radicals would fracture them so badly it would be the end of the two-party system after maybe two decades of democrat hegemony.
Instead Trump came along and usurped the throne with a populist movement that exploited the democrats self-destructing. And now we go on about how the berniecrats and clintonistas are at each others throats

why? what's another 4-8 years of opposition politics after 8 years of the same?

TBH i think they'd have an easier time making opposition moves now than under Obama (if HRC was hypothetically POTUS). People overplayed the racism in the opposition politics and HRC is a far easier boogeyman to portray in the media because you dont have to dodge race cards from leftist media outlets.
Gold: 22,164.69
Apr 26 2018 09:18am
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 26 2018 09:12am)
I honestly don't think the Republican party is being reshaped. The vast majority of Republican politicians aren't populists... they're either standard Republicans or freedom caucus Republicans. Right-wing populism will pretty much be dead after Trump leaves office. Paul Ryan 2024.

if you go outside on a clear night in the middle of the mojave desert and listen closely, you can hear the voices of voters calling for fiscal responsibility
Gold: 4,404.67
Apr 26 2018 09:25am
Quote (IceMage @ 26 Apr 2018 17:12)

the majority of republicans are corrupt crooks who will pretend to stand for whatever their voters want at any given moment. trump is forcing a massive policy realignment on the GOP in many fields, something like that doesnt happen over night; it will take several years.

but you can already see how figures like, for example, jeff flake have become outsiders in their own party. anti-welfare state republicans like paul ryan are losing influence all over the place. even the freedom caucus is aligning itself more and more with trump.
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 26 2018 09:28am
Quote (Goomshill @ Apr 26 2018 10:18am)
if you go outside on a clear night in the middle of the mojave desert and listen closely, you can hear the voices of voters calling for fiscal responsibility

All we need is another scary black man in the White House for Republican voters to care about fiscal responsibility again.

This post was edited by IceMage on Apr 26 2018 09:28am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1182318241825182618273169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll