d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2016 > Trump Vs Clinton
Prev1180918101811181218133169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 4,404.67
Apr 20 2018 01:27pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ 20 Apr 2018 21:24)
Is that the case though? Wasn't there post-election results that showed that there really wasn't an increase in Republican turnout, but that there was a marked decline in Democratic turnout?

Trump didn't win because he inspired more people to vote Republican. It seemed like instead he won because Hillary was a lack-luster dynasty candidate that didn't energize left-leaning voters.

there are three key factors: clinton slipped slightly on the left-end of the political spectrum. black turnout was markedly down since obama wasnt on the ballot. and trump gained substantially among whites without college degree while he lost moderate amounts of whites with college degree; a voter trade-off that was beneficial in key swing states in the midwest.
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 20 2018 01:27pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 20 2018 02:09pm)
the thing is: trump was the one talking about policy issues, he was the one with a popular agenda. he was the one with an economic message, he was the one talking about the drawbacks of free trade and deindustrialization, he was the one talking about immigration and security issues. anyone can feel free to disagree with trumps assessment of the situation and with the means he proposed to solve the issues, but this doesnt take away from the fact that he was talking policy all the time.

hillary, by contrast, spent most of her time talking about what a great step it would be for her women and feminism if she became the first female president, she was the one spending most of her time with personal attacks on her opponent, claiming he was all sorts of unfit for the office and yada yada yada, she was the one employing a neverending parade of celebrities and media figures to campaign on her behalf, to make up for her complete and total lack of charisma.

the truth is that, whether you like it or not, trump had a clear message on key policy issues that resonated with a sizeable portion of the electorate. clinton had no clear message, her policy proposals were bland and unpopular, they did not resonate with a lot of folks.

when you think back to the campaign, and I ask you to name two key policy talking points from both trump's and clinton's campain, what would your answer be?

for trump, it's "build the wall (= metaphor for 'restrict latino and third world immigration')" and "renegotiate nafta (or withdraw from it)".
for clinton, it's .... um..... I really cant remember anything.

Selective hearing. I mean you guys can provide your revisionist perspective, but the idea that Trump was the policy wonk and Hillary was the mud slinger is just... honestly it's not even a good troll.

Go pull up any random Trump rally on youtube, and compare it with a Hillary rally. Let's look at the presidential debates and see which candidate showed an understanding of the issues. This stuff is all online, you can view it again with a more objective lens now.

This post was edited by IceMage on Apr 20 2018 01:27pm
Apr 20 2018 01:28pm
Quote (IceMage @ 20 Apr 2018 21:27)
Selective hearing. I mean you guys can provide your revisionist perspective, but the idea that Trump was the policy wonk and Hillary was the mud slinger is just... honestly it's not even a good troll.

Go pull up any random Trump rally on youtube, and compare it with a Hillary rally. Let's look at the presidential debates and see which candidate showed an understanding of issues. This stuff is all online, you can view it again with a more objective lens now.

my question still stands: can you name even two key policy proposals/talking points from clinton's campaign, ofc without looking it up?
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 20 2018 01:30pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 20 2018 02:28pm)
my question still stands: can you name even two key policy proposals/talking points from clinton's campaign, ofc without looking it up?

Do you think having easily digestible one liners is evidence that the candidate was more policy focused than the other?
Gold: 4,383.11
Apr 20 2018 01:35pm
Quote (IceMage @ 20 Apr 2018 21:30)
Do you think having easily digestible one liners is evidence that the candidate was more policy focused than the other?

one liners are better than nothing, thats the whole point
Apr 20 2018 01:37pm
Quote (IceMage @ 20 Apr 2018 21:30)

I dont deny that clinton had an agenda, that she had a policy vision. My point simply is that her vision was uninspiring, her agenda consisted mostly of forgettable "keep the status quo"-proposals, spiced up with some sjw pandering.

It doesnt have to be one-liners, can you just name two policy fields where clinton had a "strong stance" in any shape or form?
Gold: 285.00
Apr 20 2018 01:53pm
Quote (ampoo @ Apr 20 2018 02:35pm)
one liners are better than nothing, thats the whole point

Competent leadership is better than one liners.

This Administration has been a fiasco. They haven't even been able to keep staff departments. Turn over in his cabinet is a joke.
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 20 2018 01:54pm
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 20 2018 03:30pm)

Dodge because your argument sucks
Gold: 22,164.69
Apr 20 2018 01:59pm
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 20 2018 01:05pm)
Lol... man you've gone off the deep end.

70% of her campaign spending was attack ads. Her entire campaign messaging was negative. Nobody can name any of her policies.

We've been over this on PARD like 500 times

This post was edited by Goomshill on Apr 20 2018 02:00pm
Gold: 2,504.69
Apr 20 2018 02:01pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 20 2018 01:28pm)

is this an actual attempt at a point? a monkey could answer this. the reason HRC's policy seems vanilla and perhaps that you've forgotten it is because it was just a parrot of whatever policies were popular in the DNC at the time. She even morphed into a poor man's bernie after fucking him over to try and grab bernie bros for general with a slight move on CJ reform and healthcare. maybe i just have a bad perspective on memory because mine's so good but this seems like a limp noodle attack.

Quote (Goomshill @ Apr 20 2018 01:59pm)
70% of her campaign spending was attack ads. Her entire campaign messaging was negative. Nobody can name any of her policies.

We've been over this on PARD like 500 times

that's silly. how are you guys all so silly?

She was strong, but vague CJ reform. police and jails

she was hard for obamacare, then shifted a bit more to fixing it post primary but still didn't commit to repealing.

she was hard on Assad/Russia/Syria, and would have gotten into war faster.

soft on the Iran deal to the point that she'd barely answer questions unless poked on it.

tax reform, rich pay their fare share.

entitlements she wouldnt touch. talked vaguely about some inner city programs because #BLM

vaguely pro pay gap, likely would have passed some laws requiring equal pay for women that would result in less women employed.

Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 20 2018 02:02pm)
apparently, you felt the need to dodge the limp noodle.

see the above. i wouldnt have wasted my time unless proving goomy wrong was on the table.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Apr 20 2018 02:06pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1180918101811181218133169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll