d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > To Those That Argue Against Stem Cell Research > Thank You
Prev117181920Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 68.99
Warn: 10%
Oct 15 2014 02:39pm
Quote (Scaly @ Oct 15 2014 03:04am)
How about not mocking other people's (perfectly valid) opinions and perhaps offering a counter argument to constructively move this conversation along from shitflinging to an actual discussion.

"fairy tales of an author named Tacitus"
pfft... "sources", only fundies care about "sources"
Gold: 17,384.69
Oct 15 2014 08:20pm
Quote (IceMage @ 11 Oct 2014 00:09)
Religious opposition to stem cell research has nothing to do with ignorance...

theres the religious opposition on that is the crap we are used to (creationism extremism, ending in various right wing liars etc)

and there is a valuable opposition, the true scientific & ethic one, that has to defend the whole abuse that can be done arround that (human cloning. lol.)
so encouraging a strict survey arround of those kind of researches using stem cells...

This post was edited by Saucisson6000 on Oct 15 2014 08:21pm
Gold: 2.88
Oct 15 2014 10:24pm
fk ya so can eat more !!!!
Gold: 4,946.71
Oct 15 2014 11:24pm
great news but...

treatment for type 1 diabetes isn't a major issue, most patients are well responsive to therapy and live healthy lives when diagnosed appropriately.

problem with diabetes is type 2 which this research will unfortunately not be able to assist.

some of the pro/anti-stemcell research claims in this thread are quite interesting
Gold: 0.76
Oct 16 2014 06:07am
Quote (iMMze @ 16 Oct 2014 00:24)
great news but...

treatment for type 1 diabetes isn't a major issue, most patients are well responsive to therapy and live healthy lives when diagnosed appropriately.

problem with diabetes is type 2 which this research will unfortunately not be able to assist.

some of the pro/anti-stemcell research claims in this thread are quite interesting

I'm sorry but I've hardly ever read a larger amount of bullshit in fewer amount of words than in the above post

Treatment for type 1, is indeed a major issue, first more than 15,000 children are diagnosed with type 1 every year
There is no cure at this point.
The patient is tied to insulin whether by shots or pump
The patient is tied to a very strict diet and has to be alert to carb intake at every meal
The patient is tied to testing his/her blood several times daily
Type 1 affects every aspect of a childs life they get sugar drops and spikes when exercising and playing sports,
diabetes type 1 and 2 is a autoimmune disease that can cause kidney failure, and blindness.

I have type 2 due to damage to my Pancreas and I know what a bitch it is, it can drain the energy out of you.
I'd hate to think of being a kid with the disease. To belittle it and all those aflicted with it is just showing your ass.
Oct 16 2014 12:14pm
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Oct 16 2014 07:07am)
I'm sorry but I've hardly ever read a larger amount of bullshit in fewer amount of words than in the above post

Treatment for type 1, is indeed a major issue, first more than 15,000 children are diagnosed with type 1 every year
There is no cure at this point.
The patient is tied to insulin whether by shots or pump
The patient is tied to a very strict diet and has to be alert to carb intake at every meal
The patient is tied to testing his/her blood several times daily
Type 1 affects every aspect of a childs life they get sugar drops and spikes when exercising and playing sports,
diabetes type 1 and 2 is a autoimmune disease that can cause kidney failure, and blindness.

I have type 2 due to damage to my Pancreas and I know what a bitch it is, it can drain the energy out of you.
I'd hate to think of being a kid with the disease. To belittle it and all those aflicted with it is just showing your ass.

first of all sorry if i offended you

i'm not speaking about how difficult their lives will be, i'm speaking about how well they will do with appropriate treatment. treatment for dm1 is exogenous insulin. i will reiterate now, patients who are afflicted with this do fine with adequate treatment provided they are diagnosed appropriately.yes they are not able to indulge as most kids do, but they do fine. complications of retinopathy, nephropathy usually do not occur in well controlled dm1. life expectancy of a patient with dm1 is approximately 5-7 years less than someone without dm1 who has undergone recommended treatment regimes.

now coming back to the treatment discussed in op, that would do a lot to make patients with dm1 lives easier, but the truth is those patients with dm1 will live on average of 69 years even without an intrinsic source for insulin. The exogenous insulin treatment plan works great.

now those with dm2, this sadly isn't the case. those patients overtime will inevitably develop resistance to the stronger exogenous forms of insulin, and as you know they have already developed resistance to their endogenous source. these patients are more likely to suffer from hyperglycemic complications of nephropathy, retinopathy, and especially neuropathy. these patients have shorter life expectancies than dm1, which was the point i was making earlier.
Oct 16 2014 12:25pm
Quote (iMMze @ 16 Oct 2014 13:14)
first of all sorry if i offended you

i'm not speaking about how difficult their lives will be, i'm speaking about how well they will do with appropriate treatment. treatment for dm1 is exogenous insulin. i will reiterate now, patients who are afflicted with this do fine with adequate treatment provided they are diagnosed appropriately.yes they are not able to indulge as most kids do, but they do fine. complications of retinopathy, nephropathy usually do not occur in well controlled dm1. life expectancy of a patient with dm1 is approximately 5-7 years less than someone without dm1 who has undergone recommended treatment regimes.

now coming back to the treatment discussed in op, that would do a lot to make patients with dm1 lives easier, but the truth is those patients with dm1 will live on average of 69 years even without an intrinsic source for insulin. The exogenous insulin treatment plan works great.

now those with dm2, this sadly isn't the case. those patients overtime will inevitably develop resistance to the stronger exogenous forms of insulin, and as you know they have already developed resistance to their endogenous source. these patients are more likely to suffer from hyperglycemic complications of nephropathy, retinopathy, and especially neuropathy. these patients have shorter life expectancies than dm1, which was the point i was making earlier.

The thing your post doesn't do is any convincing as to why not continue with the stemcell research in hopes of giving the type-1 sufferers a normal life not simply surviving.
i will reiterate to you being tied to a insulin shot or pump and a blood test kit, plus living with the fear of sugar spikes and drops, is not a normal happy life.
The stemcells used to help give these children a chance at a normal life are well worth it!

This post was edited by Valhalls_Sun on Oct 16 2014 12:25pm
Oct 16 2014 12:35pm
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Oct 16 2014 01:25pm)
The thing your post doesn't do is any convincing as to why not continue with the stemcell research in hopes of giving the type-1 sufferers a normal life not simply surviving.
i will reiterate to you being tied to a insulin shot or pump and a blood test kit, plus living with the fear of sugar spikes and drops, is not a normal happy life.
The stemcells used to help give these children a chance at a normal life are well worth it!

that is fair enough and i agree that this treatment may improve the quality of the life of someone with dm1. perhaps i was being too rash when i said they can live normal lives with appropriate treatment.

but i still maintain the big issue is dm2 and not dm1. out of the approx 350 million in the world with diabetes, about 15mil of that are those with dm1.
Oct 16 2014 12:42pm
Quote (iMMze @ 16 Oct 2014 13:35)
that is fair enough and i agree that this treatment may improve the quality of the life of someone with dm1. perhaps i was being too rash when i said they can live normal lives with appropriate treatment.

but i still maintain the big issue is dm2 and not dm1. out of the approx 350 million in the world with diabetes, about 15mil of that are those with dm1.

agreed

This post was edited by Valhalls_Sun on Oct 16 2014 12:44pm
Gold: 1,895.00
Oct 16 2014 11:17pm
Quote (iMMze @ Oct 16 2014 01:35pm)
that is fair enough and i agree that this treatment may improve the quality of the life of someone with dm1.perhaps i was being too rash when i said they can live normal lives with appropriate treatment.

Yes, the post just seemed like you were understating the effects type 1 can have on peoples lives. The majority of people with type 2 diabetes have it due to being overweight to obese, so by simply losing excess body fat their glucose levels can return to normal and they would no longer need medication. Not in all cases of course since there are many factors, but it's definitely possible. With type 1 there is no possibility of curing yourself. Diabetes, whether type 1 or type 2 can cause huge issues in someones life and both will hopefully find a cure.

This post was edited by dark-soul on Oct 16 2014 11:44pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev117181920Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll