d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Got Questions About God? > #1 Can You Really Trust The Bible?
Prev1171819202178Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 848.00
Trader: Trusted
Apr 2 2013 03:46pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 2 Apr 2013 12:24)
...no , we will not be continuing this conversation . The Transfiguration of Jesus has absolutely nothing to do with your spiritualist beliefs but I will leave you with an appropriate Scripture for your mistaken belief that you can communicate with the dead .

◄  Luke 16:26  ►

New International Version (©2011)

" And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us. "

this text represents nothing.
above any discussion of religion is the prevailing moral authority.
impose on others his belief is lack of common sense.
think about it;)
Gold: 0.00
Apr 2 2013 07:07pm
Quote (dajusta @ Apr 3 2013 12:48am)
What "that Scripture"?  I think you are reading one or two of my posts and misunderstanding.  I am talking to Poulgragr who said the word of God is always changing and therefore contradicts its infallible nature.

Fruitless discussion, no?  How does one know the end of the path?

Pascal's Wager. Do I need to say anything more?
Gold: Locked
Apr 2 2013 07:18pm
When is #9?
Gold: 11,700.00
Apr 2 2013 07:40pm
Quote (dajusta @ 2 Apr 2013 16:11)
Your pretty words cannot save you now.
Take my advice, and learn about the Word and sound hermeneuticsbefore you preach it.

have you full competence in all lanuages needed to to read the bible and the teachings of the early christians in original?
or at least one (so that you can perform sound hermeneutics on some texts)?

This post was edited by brmv on Apr 2 2013 07:40pm
Gold: 10,042.00
Apr 2 2013 08:07pm
Quote (brmv @ Apr 2 2013 06:40pm)
have you full competence in all lanuages needed to to read the bible and the teachings of the early christians in original?
or at least one (so that you can perform sound hermeneutics on some texts)?

I do not have full competence in Hebrew or Greek, but I have taken courses in ancient Greek. But that's misrepresenting what hermeneutics is. It is the process of unearthing the true intended meaning of Scripture and although language is one part of it, culture and worldview and history also play a big part as well. I do my best to know ancient Greek, while also continually looking at social sciences, historical commentaries and understanding pre-modern worldviews as researched by anthropologists.
Apr 2 2013 08:11pm
Quote (dajusta @ 3 Apr 2013 02:07)
I do not have full competence in Hebrew or Greek, but I have taken courses in ancient Greek.  But that's misrepresenting what hermeneutics is.  It is the process of unearthing the true intended meaning of Scripture and although language is one part of it, culture and worldview and history also play a big part as well. I do my best to know ancient Greek, while also continually looking at social sciences, historical commentaries and understanding pre-modern worldviews as researched by anthropologists.

having competence in the original language is a necessary condition for 'sound hermeneutics', did i say that it is a sufficient condition?
you work out what "necessary" and what "sufficient" means
Apr 2 2013 08:17pm
Quote (brmv @ Apr 2 2013 07:11pm)
having competence in the original language is a necessary condition for 'sound hermeneutics', did i say that it is a sufficient condition?

There are biblical commentaries who are the experts and scholars of original languages. Like how astrophysicists use research of astrobiologists, scholars use the work of other experts to gain the insight on the meaning. Ever heard of a Lexicon or Concordance? Those are all tools in the process of hermeneutics.
Apr 2 2013 08:28pm
Quote (dajusta @ 3 Apr 2013 02:17)
There are biblical commentaries who are the experts and scholars of original languages.  Like how astrophysicists use research of astrobiologists, scholars use the work of other experts to gain the insight on the meaning.  Ever heard of a Lexicon or Concordance? Those are all tools in the process of hermeneutics.

why do you always have to state trivial things as if others do not know them
yes, you can rely on input from other disciplines and be a scholar in the subject
and you can be a biblical scholar without '"sound hermeneutics"
but for "sound hermeneutics" you need to be able to read the original
and that does apply in general, not only for biblical hermeneutics
Apr 2 2013 08:31pm
Quote (brmv @ Apr 2 2013 07:28pm)
why do you always have to state trivial things as if others do not know them
yes, you can rely on input from other disciplines and be a scholar in the subject
and you can be a biblical scholar without '"sound hermeneutics"
but for "sound hermeneutics" you need to be able to read the original
and that does apply in general, not only for biblical hermeneutics

I agree with you, a person who seeks full understanding of Scripture requires to know the original languages. But there is so much more than that too.

/e I make sure I state seemingly trivial things because this is a public forum and although I am talking to you, I ought to consider others reading as well.

This post was edited by dajusta on Apr 2 2013 08:54pm
Apr 2 2013 08:35pm
Quote (dajusta @ 3 Apr 2013 02:31)
I agree with you, a person who seeks full understanding of Scripture requires to know the original languages. But there is so much more than that too.

that is exactly what is implied in

Quote (brmv @ 3 Apr 2013 02:11)

at least we can agree on that B)

ps: that is of course regarding the "full understanding" in the textual sense, the spiritual sense does not require a perfect understanding of the scripture but faith

This post was edited by brmv on Apr 2 2013 08:37pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1171819202178Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll