d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2016 > Trump Vs Clinton
Prev1177517761777177817793169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 11 2018 01:32pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Apr 11 2018 02:15pm)
Mueller wasn't put in there to look at minor FEC violations, he was put in there to investigate Russian interference. If he found such evidence (or was just given it directly by Cohen's full disclosure) then it should be taking a back seat to his russia investigation. Attacking defense counsel jeopardizes his mission, and the stakes are so low by comparison to his main mission that there's no harm in just delaying until after the investigation. Discretion doesn't always mean burying it permanently.
We just went from having Trump warming to the idea of a voluntarily sit-down to cooperate with Mueller to instead having him dine with Alan Dershowitz to discuss how his civil rights have been violated, and opening a whole can of worms that could imperil Mueller's probe. And what did they gain? They were looking for dirt on stormy daniels and the access hollywood tape. Talk about appearance of bad faith.

A few things. I'm not sure it's clear whether Mueller's team were the ones who chose to do this raid. From the reporting, it seems like Mueller went to Rosenstein with information, Rosenstein decided it wouldn't be beneficial for Mueller to pursue this part of the investigation, so they referred it to SDNY. SDNY were probably the ones who chose to do this raid.

Second, I've heard many justice correspondents in the media theorize that they must have had something more damning than just evidence of a FEC violation. Raiding the offices and residences of the president's personal attorney is obviously a big deal.

The Access Hollywood tape reporting(thanks NYT for another scoop) is interesting. It'd be nice if Cohen would tell Maggie Haberman about the documents he doesn't want us to know about though.

Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 11 2018 01:40pm
BTW, is Cohen going crazy? He talked to Don Lemon on the record yesterday evening, and today he had lunch with Trump hater Donny Deutsch.
Gold: 285.00
Apr 11 2018 02:30pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Apr 11 2018 02:17pm)
The problem with cohen is that the campaign finance allegations arent enough to warrant this.

In the meantime, Hillary’s lawyers didnt cooperate in handing over documents either. We really have no reason to disagree here

They searched because the fraud-exception trumps confidentiality.

They either believe or they have evidence that there is ongoing fraud. This is the only way a judge would approve such a raid.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 11 2018 02:31pm
Gold: 2,504.69
Apr 11 2018 04:26pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Apr 11 2018 12:50pm)
Why is Mueller investigating stormy daniels and the access hollywood tape? Why would he be looking at such charges when his investigation into russia interference is ongoing, knowing that it could taint and jeopardize his investigation? Why wouldn't he just wait until after Trump is no longer a subject of the investigation? Why is such an insane degree of aggressive tactics being used to pursue so minor and inconsequential charges against Trump's lawyer when the case on campaign violations is subjective and the attorney-client privilege sacrosanct and a third rail to the russia investigation, but Hillary was free to destroy evidence under subpoena and skate because of lack of intent?

Judges have tossed out cases against drug dealers for less, legal or not. And Mueller would know that, after all he has Andrew Weissmann on his team.
If Mueller was really acting in good faith to investigate russian interference, what good does it do him to pursue such a ridiculous tangent that not only throws his main investigation into legal jeopardy when a judge scrutinizes whether it was unreasonable or coercive or violated privilege, and when its guaranteed to chill any willingness for witnesses to cooperate (like Trump himself)? The only upside to his probe is those illegal and unconstitutional advantages: Coercing the defense counsel, threatening lawyers, violating privilege, or just using the special counsel's office as a muckraker to damage Donald Trump politically.

that's the rub bud, he's not, never has been. turn back the clock to before the public even knew Mueller's name and i was saying we needed strict guidelines on the purvue of a potential investigation. we didn't get it, because congress and senate at the time were uneasy about being anti or pro trump. they sat back and let it happen. but as we dont really have that specific purvue we cant really hold him to it. there's a logical assumption that he should be headed down a path, but that path has a million tangents and there's no clear reason not to pursue them while u can, as an investigator.

Quote (EndlessSky @ Apr 11 2018 01:17pm)
The problem with cohen is that the campaign finance allegations arent enough to warrant this.

In the meantime, Hillary’s lawyers didnt cooperate in handing over documents either. We really have no reason to disagree here

Hillary's lawyers were crafty and pulled client privilege in a place that they got away with it pertaining to certain talks that could have changed the entire investigation. but in that specific case the second wikileaks released the info the servers were wiped. In this case, although the stormy story broke, there's a legitimate chance that Cohen felt safe enough in client privilege protection that he wouldnt have deleted info, or would have a personal copy he felt was safe. as i said, i dont expect mueller to find the smoking gun even with the element of surprise, but i dont think campaign finance is his real goal. i think he thinks this will lead to a lot more.
Gold: 22,164.69
Apr 11 2018 06:41pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Apr 11 2018 04:26pm)
that's the rub bud, he's not, never has been. turn back the clock to before the public even knew Mueller's name and i was saying we needed strict guidelines on the purvue of a potential investigation. we didn't get it, because congress and senate at the time were uneasy about being anti or pro trump. they sat back and let it happen. but as we dont really have that specific purvue we cant really hold him to it. there's a logical assumption that he should be headed down a path, but that path has a million tangents and there's no clear reason not to pursue them while u can, as an investigator.

When this whole thing began there was some arguments that if Trump was innocent, then he had nothing to fear from an investigation and it would clear up the matter and exonerate him, thus removing the cloud of suspicion and allegations of collusion. It made a case for an apolitical resolution to the politicized circus. But where we stand right now makes it look like that isn't going to happen, and instead of looking at Russian interference Mueller has branched off on some of those million tangents, both financial crimes by people in Trump's orbit and going after Cohen/Trump on sex scandals and hush money of all things. In the most charitable and good faith interpretation, Mueller is using his counsel to overturn every stone and scrutinize Trump's circle with far, far greater harshness than anything the rest of the political world has to deal with, his rivals in particular. And in the bad faith interpretation, he's just looking to take down Trump by any means possible. But either way, its becoming apparent that even if Trump is completely innocent of the collusion allegations, Mueller is going on a fishing expedition for anything else he can nail Trump on.

I'd still like that point cleared up Icemage was asking me about- I can't find anything to suggest either way now- whether Mueller was making this referral on Cohen based on his voluntary full disclosure, or whether Mueller was proactively investigating him. Either way is bad, and I'm not sure which is worse: If he's investigating defensive counsel than that's dangerously close to unethical misconduct, and the same thing if he's betraying the good faith cooperation Trump's attorney offered. Either way, the fact that here we are a year later and Robert Mueller has been seizing attorney-client privileged communications twice under dubious legal pretense and is digging into stormy daniels and the access hollywood tape is ridiculous. If this case wasn't so politicized, if everyone was acting in good faith and giving everyone else the presumption of good faith, then Trump would have fired Mueller and the DoJ involved in such an overreach in a heartbeat. Its only political pressure holding him back from that righteous indignation.
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 12 2018 10:54am
Women voters: “sex work is work too!”
Also Women voters: “#metoo”
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Apr 12 2018 11:06am
Quote (EndlessSky @ 12 Apr 2018 17:54)

consent... a concept that will forever stay a mystery to the simple-minded...
Gold: 1.50
Apr 12 2018 11:14am
Quote (EndlessSky @ Apr 12 2018 11:54am)

Ain't no cringe like incel cringe.
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 12 2018 11:24am
Quote (fender @ Apr 12 2018 01:06pm)

Leftists dont even have a consistent definition for consent

Conservatives invented true consent

Quote (Morphmcmanerson @ Apr 12 2018 01:14pm)
Ain't no cringe like incel cringe.

I got laid yesterday

This post was edited by EndlessSky on Apr 12 2018 11:24am
Gold: 2,504.69
Apr 12 2018 11:41am
Quote (Goomshill @ Apr 11 2018 06:41pm)
When this whole thing began there was some arguments that if Trump was innocent, then he had nothing to fear from an investigation and it would clear up the matter and exonerate him, thus removing the cloud of suspicion and allegations of collusion. It made a case for an apolitical resolution to the politicized circus. But where we stand right now makes it look like that isn't going to happen, and instead of looking at Russian interference Mueller has branched off on some of those million tangents, both financial crimes by people in Trump's orbit and going after Cohen/Trump on sex scandals and hush money of all things. In the most charitable and good faith interpretation, Mueller is using his counsel to overturn every stone and scrutinize Trump's circle with far, far greater harshness than anything the rest of the political world has to deal with, his rivals in particular. And in the bad faith interpretation, he's just looking to take down Trump by any means possible. But either way, its becoming apparent that even if Trump is completely innocent of the collusion allegations, Mueller is going on a fishing expedition for anything else he can nail Trump on.

I'd still like that point cleared up Icemage was asking me about- I can't find anything to suggest either way now- whether Mueller was making this referral on Cohen based on his voluntary full disclosure, or whether Mueller was proactively investigating him. Either way is bad, and I'm not sure which is worse: If he's investigating defensive counsel than that's dangerously close to unethical misconduct, and the same thing if he's betraying the good faith cooperation Trump's attorney offered. Either way, the fact that here we are a year later and Robert Mueller has been seizing attorney-client privileged communications twice under dubious legal pretense and is digging into stormy daniels and the access hollywood tape is ridiculous. If this case wasn't so politicized, if everyone was acting in good faith and giving everyone else the presumption of good faith, then Trump would have fired Mueller and the DoJ involved in such an overreach in a heartbeat. Its only political pressure holding him back from that righteous indignation.

i agree on nearly all points, i just dont find it all that important, tbh. The fact of the matter is if you were able to take an honest secret poll on the real opinions of GOP senators/congresspeople you'd find they hate Trump by-and-large. He's an obstacle for them in Washington DC, he's brought a unilateral increase in exposure and scrutiny on them, he's made it impossible for them to break ranks without personally being held accountable in their districts BUT adherence to his platform can bring about as much backlash. He set a bomb off in DC. So it's a bit hard for me to feel sorry for him, a monkey could see this all coming. He's getting lip service in public and his ass waxed in private. He will get no protection and will shaky legal judgements against him over and over. taking on the establishment is a game of chess, should be incremental, trump's playing tic tac toe. bad move by a moron who has an ego large enough to convince him the lumps will work themselves out.

Trump's turning out to be conservative light in legislation and all talk. If he loses the house in 2018 and faces nothing but a bullshit impeachment trial that would never pass senate i'll be tickled pink. he cant keep his team on any one topic long enough to do anything, under an impeachment trial he'll do even less. He can become the executive order POTUS who's a glorified veto stamp so his time in office can be undone as fast as Obama's.

this circus is my best case scenario to be frank, and im not buying any of the "THIS IS THE END OR THE WORLD, BAD PRECEDENT, WE ALL NEED TO BE WORRIED ABOUT CLIENT PRIVILEGE" horseshit Dershowitz is peddling either. The highest nail gets the hammer, and trumps a nail on a different scale. if this results in more scrutiny on the position of POTUS and a delusion of the power of the executive branch moving forward my boner may never come down.

Quote (fender @ Apr 12 2018 11:06am)

Consent, something that can be retroactively withdrawn for any reason.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Apr 12 2018 11:41am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1177517761777177817793169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll