d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2016 > Trump Vs Clinton
Prev1166816691670167116723169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 260.11
Feb 6 2018 12:10pm
Quote (dro94 @ Feb 6 2018 12:00pm)
Oreilly is very intelligent, he went to Princeton or one of the best unis in the states. I heard hannity struggled completing his degree

Yeah but the character O'Reilly plays is a fuckin idiot.
Gold: 2,504.69
Feb 6 2018 12:14pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Feb 6 2018 10:09am)
people wouldn't commit treason for the right amount of money and power in the open and then somehow fail to get caught despite having the FBI breathing down their neck for half a decade, then do it again and still go a year undetected.
Domestic FISA warrants are at their core a form of unconstitutional surveillance that tramples all over any judicially constructed right to privacy. Its bad enough that they can rubber stamp reasons to spy on domestic targets under the umbrella of what's supposed to be a foreign surveillance act designed to explicitly shield citizens. And I wouldn't doubt that other FISA warrants are just as thin and flimsy as the Carter Page one, after all, how much effort can be put into constructing ironclad cases of reasonable suspicion for what's little more than a veneer of legitimacy from the yes-men courts?

The thing with Page is, this wiretapping took place during the campaign, while he was still in Trump's orbit, and expanded to encompass secondary Trump campaign officials. That's not an arbitrary distinction that can be handwaved by FISA's being normally a low burden of suspicion, rubber stamp approval. Because as I so frequently point out, you have to put this back into the watergate context: These FBI officials are knowingly spying on a political opponent during a campaign. They know full well the toxicity and precarious implications of peeking into trump's doing. Even if they aren't acting as democrat-aligned partisans, even if the honestly hold to apolitical neutrality (which they plainly don't, as comey and strzok and a year of leaks show), they'd still have to know that putting wiretaps into the Trump campaign is such a dangerous move that you better have rock solid evidence before you do it. Like peeking up the queens knickers to see if she's a real human or a reptilian with a cloaca, if you're wrong and get caught in the process, its a major incident.

As far as lack of nuance goes, I think there's some implied false dichotomy between what is the legal burden for spying, and whether its abusive and scandalous. In the Obama era, so often the nuance is that just because its technically legal doesn't mean its right. If we're holding spying on political opponents to the extraordinarily low and farcical requirements of standard FISA approval that makes a grand jury indicting a ham sandwich look like a herculean effort by comparison, then we've opened the door to political abuses of domestic surveillance. If all they have to show is the minimum technical requirement and the government has twisted that law to remove all the constitutional protections, then why bother with mercenaries and burglars when you can just ask some allies at the FBI to do it legally?

tbh bud i stopped taking your post seriously after the bold. if we looked at things like FISA warrants from an original intent perspective and held them to that we'd be ceding many crimes to criminals. If you want to have privacy at such an extreme level that you're willing to give criminals carte blanche thats fine, i just plain disagree. No need to have a Christie vs Paul match over it, I just disagree.

Regardless my main point is being skirted around here: The memo reads like the Dems did something out of the ordinary in the process of obtaining this FISA warrant, when in fact (as you said) FISA judges are rubber stamps with a pulse. The GOP is intentionally framing this incorrectly, in saying that the dossier is the only (downright wrong) or "main" (meaninglessly subjective) justification for the warrant in the first place. After-all they wouldn't have been able to renew the warrant if all they had was the dossier. Not to mention like i said, most FISA warrant investigations lead to no where, which shows the burden of proof needed to get a warrant is low.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 6 2018 01:21pm
Quote (dro94 @ 6 Feb 2018 18:00)
Oreilly is very intelligent, he went to Princeton or one of the best unis in the states. I heard hannity struggled completing his degree

O'Reilly is either a moron or a con-artist. Some of the shit he has come out with over the years any reasonably intelligent person couldn't possibly believe.
Gold: 22,164.69
Feb 6 2018 04:22pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Feb 6 2018 12:14pm)
tbh bud i stopped taking your post seriously after the bold. if we looked at things like FISA warrants from an original intent perspective and held them to that we'd be ceding many crimes to criminals. If you want to have privacy at such an extreme level that you're willing to give criminals carte blanche thats fine, i just plain disagree. No need to have a Christie vs Paul match over it, I just disagree.

Regardless my main point is being skirted around here: The memo reads like the Dems did something out of the ordinary in the process of obtaining this FISA warrant, when in fact (as you said) FISA judges are rubber stamps with a pulse. The GOP is intentionally framing this incorrectly, in saying that the dossier is the only (downright wrong) or "main" (meaninglessly subjective) justification for the warrant in the first place. After-all they wouldn't have been able to renew the warrant if all they had was the dossier. Not to mention like i said, most FISA warrant investigations lead to no where, which shows the burden of proof needed to get a warrant is low.

Whatever original intent the domestic FISA program had, what it actually is today and the complete lack of meaningful oversight and constitutional protections has just made it a free pass to conduct effectively warrantless surveillance of US citizens without probable cause. This one specific bogus FISA approval aside, there's no way a 99.99% approval rubber stamp secret court with secret practices can possibly be any real arbiter of privacy. I hold the FISA program, at least the domestic part of it, to be unconstitutional in the same vein as the other dragnet surveillance that occurs online, on phone data, etc: Its both in violation of what should be a reasonable right to privacy if the laws actually made sense for the modern day, and still technically getting a pass due to the system being so warped to serve an end.

And the system being warped is whats so dangerous here. The dems did something very far out of the ordinary to obtain this FISA warrant: The left-linked partisans wiretapped political opponents. Just because the system is so broken for every other more mundane spy case where they can excuse it as a necessary evil to protect us from dirty terrorists, doesn't excuse the system being broken when it allows peeking into an opponent's campaign. That's where abusing the low warrant requirements turns this from yet another example in a long list of constitutional violations for civil rights group to call foul over, to being an potential watergate 2.0.

for example, lets say back when the NYPD was aggressively pursuing informants within mosques to search for terrorists after 9/11 and conducting surveillance, that figures connected to Michael Bloomberg and heavily aligned with him happened to place informants within Bill Thompson's campaign and surveilled him. The muslim program got the ACLU's knickers twisted as they shrieked racial/religious profiling, and it certainly lacked meaningful safeguards to protection constitutional rights. But just because they were getting away with that in the name of fighting terrorism, wouldn't excuse it if it was used to spy on a political opponent. That would be extremely scandalous and blow up in the face of everyone involved

So here we've got the rubber stamp FISA courts being weaponized against the Trump transition, and maybe before that, we don't know exactly where the political corruption starts and ends, but we do know that some FISA wiretapped intel was unmasked and leaked to destroy Michael Flynn eventually, and we know the circumstances around much of the wiretaps were unusual and suspicious, besides the political toxicity of spying on a campaign, just the facts like the hundreds of unmasking requests at the last minute. That's enough to throw up all kinds of red flags and say that we should be scrutinizing every aspect to make sure all the spying was above the board. And using the steele dossier and self-corroborating it, that doesn't pass the smell test either, that's way more red flags. Even without being the 'main' piece of evidence it would be enough to cast a shadow of illegitimacy over the whole thing, and they'd know that when they did it, they've read the dossier and know where it comes from. As far as quibbling over whether its the main bit, I don't think we're going to get a fair picture of that from either side. They can both lie about it and claim subjective interpretation of the evidence. But Schiff is conspicuously not contradicting that it was central, is he?
Gold: 2,504.69
Feb 6 2018 04:37pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Feb 6 2018 04:22pm)
Whatever original intent the domestic FISA program had, what it actually is today and the complete lack of meaningful oversight and constitutional protections has just made it a free pass to conduct effectively warrantless surveillance of US citizens without probable cause. This one specific bogus FISA approval aside, there's no way a 99.99% approval rubber stamp secret court with secret practices can possibly be any real arbiter of privacy. I hold the FISA program, at least the domestic part of it, to be unconstitutional in the same vein as the other dragnet surveillance that occurs online, on phone data, etc: Its both in violation of what should be a reasonable right to privacy if the laws actually made sense for the modern day, and still technically getting a pass due to the system being so warped to serve an end.

And the system being warped is whats so dangerous here. The dems did something very far out of the ordinary to obtain this FISA warrant: The left-linked partisans wiretapped political opponents. Just because the system is so broken for every other more mundane spy case where they can excuse it as a necessary evil to protect us from dirty terrorists, doesn't excuse the system being broken when it allows peeking into an opponent's campaign. That's where abusing the low warrant requirements turns this from yet another example in a long list of constitutional violations for civil rights group to call foul over, to being an potential watergate 2.0.

for example, lets say back when the NYPD was aggressively pursuing informants within mosques to search for terrorists after 9/11 and conducting surveillance, that figures connected to Michael Bloomberg and heavily aligned with him happened to place informants within Bill Thompson's campaign and surveilled him. The muslim program got the ACLU's knickers twisted as they shrieked racial/religious profiling, and it certainly lacked meaningful safeguards to protection constitutional rights. But just because they were getting away with that in the name of fighting terrorism, wouldn't excuse it if it was used to spy on a political opponent. That would be extremely scandalous and blow up in the face of everyone involved

So here we've got the rubber stamp FISA courts being weaponized against the Trump transition, and maybe before that, we don't know exactly where the political corruption starts and ends, but we do know that some FISA wiretapped intel was unmasked and leaked to destroy Michael Flynn eventually, and we know the circumstances around much of the wiretaps were unusual and suspicious, besides the political toxicity of spying on a campaign, just the facts like the hundreds of unmasking requests at the last minute. That's enough to throw up all kinds of red flags and say that we should be scrutinizing every aspect to make sure all the spying was above the board. And using the steele dossier and self-corroborating it, that doesn't pass the smell test either, that's way more red flags. Even without being the 'main' piece of evidence it would be enough to cast a shadow of illegitimacy over the whole thing, and they'd know that when they did it, they've read the dossier and know where it comes from. As far as quibbling over whether its the main bit, I don't think we're going to get a fair picture of that from either side. They can both lie about it and claim subjective interpretation of the evidence. But Schiff is conspicuously not contradicting that it was central, is he?

a few rapid fire points:

1. I'm not saying it is constitutional, just to clear that up. I don't believe the constitution is perfect and nor do you, i just dont fall into the "its the best we've got" camp, and i think you do. np there.

2. I do think the dossier was "central" to the initial FISA approval.

2a. central has it's own spectrum, more than one thing could be "central" in context
2b. central evidence usually needs supporting evidence to make it pass the smell test
2c. without some further evidence the application wouldnt be renewed at 90 days
2d. hindsight of the dossier and that it's been debunked is at play. i think it had a lot more face validity at the time.

3. i get your hysteria about the dems weaponizing a govt process. i just dont share it. we're in an era where major political parties are backed by worldwide media conglomerates, with trillions invested into their success. the fact that a few bad apples are pulling strings in washington doesn't surprise me, nor does it scare me all that much personally. as ive stated before people who think FBI or CIA agents are apolitical are naive.

4. the one thing that people who are anti-mueller and anti-dem never want to talk about. Putin had a vested interest in HRC losing and DT winning. that's a plain fact. turning govt officials is another basic fact of espionage. then there's posts like yours talking about someone's origin and how they dont "seem like a ruskie"... lets cut the bullshit, we fuck with other countries electoral processes, putin fucked with us. he likely did pull in someone in trumps general area and a fuckload in the govt generally, that's espionage101. we'll likely never find it, there's no paper trail, that's espionage102. but all of this "still no proof" and "i dont get why someone would be a traitor" stuff? :rolleyes:

Gold: 2.70
Feb 6 2018 08:40pm
Declassified Steele Memo

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/2018-02-06%20CEG%20LG%20to%20DOJ%20FBI%20(Unclassified%20Steele%20Referral).pdf

There was no corroborating information and the dossier was the only evidence used to obtain the FISA warrants. The court was not notified of material facts related to who was behind the dossier or who paid for it. They used the media reports by Yahoo as "corroboration" as well as to explain away discrepancies in the application.Comey tried to pass it off to the Senate intel committee as the FBI used Steele in the past and his information was reliable.

memo is 10 pages.

This post was edited by Warlock316 on Feb 6 2018 08:40pm
Gold: 2.70
Feb 6 2018 09:18pm
Quote (Warlock316 @ Feb 7 2018 02:40am)
Declassified Steele Memo

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/2018-02-06%20CEG%20LG%20to%20DOJ%20FBI%20(Unclassified%20Steele%20Referral).pdf

There was no corroborating information and the dossier was the only evidence used to obtain the FISA warrants. The court was not notified of material facts related to who was behind the dossier or who paid for it. They used the media reports by Yahoo as "corroboration" as well as to explain away discrepancies in the application.Comey tried to pass it off to the Senate intel committee as the FBI used Steele in the past and his information was reliable.

memo is 10 pages.

big takeaways.....

Steele at the time of compiling his dossier was recieving unsolcited intel about his investigation from people connected to hillary routed through the Obama state department

The bulk of the fisa application was based on the dossier.

The FBI relied more on Steeles credibility than actually verifying his claims.

The FBI specifically said that Steele was not the source of the Yahoo news article, which if he was would have severly hurt steeles credibility (which the FBI was relying on).

Steele and simpson have testified that indeed Steele not only was the source of that article, but talked to other press before the application for the warrant from page.

The FBI failed to mention steele was the source for that Yahoo news article in the three renewals for the fisa warrant.

This post was edited by Warlock316 on Feb 6 2018 09:19pm
Gold: 57.00
Feb 6 2018 09:23pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 6 Feb 2018 23:18)

lmfao

our house “intel” committee hard at work
Quote (Warlock316 @ 6 Feb 2018 23:18)
big takeaways.....

Steele at the time of compiling his dossier was recieving unsolcited intel about his investigation from people connected to hillary routed through the Obama state department

The bulk of the fisa application was based on the dossier.

The FBI relied more on Steeles credibility than actually verifying his claims.

The FBI specifically said that Steele was not the source of the Yahoo news article, which if he was would have severly hurt steeles credibility (which the FBI was relying on).

Steele and simpson have testified that indeed Steele not only was the source of that article, but talked to other press before the application for the warrant from page.

The FBI failed to mention steele was the source for that Yahoo news article in the three renewals for the fisa warrant.

If steele lied to the fi about not talking to press, that is a crime and he should be charged.

more foreign meddling in our election, funded by (D)s, sad
Gold: 22,164.69
Feb 6 2018 09:31pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1166816691670167116723169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll