d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2016 > Trump Vs Clinton
Prev1165416551656165716583169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 5,016.77
Jan 27 2018 10:07pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Jan 27 2018 10:40pm)
We've seen repeated fake news stories exactly like this over the past year. At this point its just beating a dead horse for this to turn out to be fake. Come on now, you can't pretend that these exact same sort of fake news duds haven't been landing left and right. You can quibble over the definition of fake news and whether it should apply to erroneous stories, but this would just be shoveled onto a big pile of other stories. Like when Trump did his fakies, he counted to 10 without even mentioning half the stories I can name offhand from the past year. You care about the labels and perceptions, I don't. You can call it fake news or call it inaccurate journalism, what it is, is exactly the same no matter what you call it. To me, its news, and its fake, so its fake news, and I call a spade a spade.

But surely, there's got to have a better motive and explanation of events than CBS deciding its in its interests to contradict NYT and WaPo just for the sake of competition. Are we going to see CBS start saying that no bombing actually took place in Afghanistan, in order to capture that contrarian clickbait audience? Are they going to post headlines tomorrow that Trump nuked North Korea, just to get the early scoop on something that didn't actually happen? Come now, that's not rational.

If we're going to be interested in the truth, let's be nuanced about it. If one aspect of a story might be inaccurate, calling the whole story "fake news" is just dishonest. Journalists get things wrong from time to time, that's not some liberal conspiracy to take down the president, it's just how things go. Maybe Major Garrett's sources are right, who knows, but even if they are, the story isn't that much different. What's relevant is that Trump wanted to fire Mueller.

I'll never accept the Trump cult hijacking of the term "fake news". All inaccurate reporting is not fake news, it never has been. The REEE Trump cult will take any slip up by the news media as an indictment of the entire industry, because most of the stories coming out of the White House aren't positive, so it's easier psychologically to just pretend it's all fake.

Your last point makes no sense to me. I think Garrett is a real journalist who has a couple sources disputing the accuracy of part of the NYT story. I don't think news organizations always have some ulterior motive... he has a scoop, so they publish it. What does that have to do with publishing intentionally inaccurate stories?

This post was edited by IceMage on Jan 27 2018 10:11pm
Gold: 22,164.69
Jan 27 2018 10:27pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jan 27 2018 10:07pm)
If we're going to be interested in the truth, let's be nuanced about it. If one aspect of a story might be inaccurate, calling the whole story "fake news" is just dishonest. Journalists get things wrong from time to time, that's not some liberal conspiracy to take down the president, it's just how things go. Maybe Major Garrett's sources are right, who knows, but even if they are, the story isn't that much different. What's relevant is that Trump wanted to fire Mueller.

I'll never accept the Trump cult hijacking of the term "fake news". All inaccurate reporting is not fake news, it never has been. The REEE Trump cult will take any slip up by the news media as an indictment of the entire industry, because most of the stories coming out of the White House aren't positive, so it's easier psychologically to just pretend it's all fake.

If the critical and sensational central detail of a news story is inaccurate, the story is fake news. The story was that Trump didn't just want to fire Mueller- that's not a revelation. The story was that Trump actually 'moved' to fire Mueller, and that McGahn dramatically threatened to resign if Trump did, which is what stopped him. Yet those embellishments are unsupported in the former and contradicted in the latter by CBS's account. And frankly, I think they should be held to a higher standard than just the critical turning point of the story, if the context and details are wrong, I'd say its comparable to one apple spoiling the bunch..
I really don't care what the words are. If it was called 'fake news' or 'yellow journalism' or 'blibbering snitchbodgery', its all just semantics, words to describe a logical concept. The words don't change it

But as far as an indictment of the entire industry? Its rightly deserved. Its not some isolated instance or once-off mistake. We went decades and decades, a century after hearst really, with quality credible journalism in the united states, without anything approaching the torrent of falsehoods being lobbed as purported bombshells about Trump in the past year and a half. And now for a variety of identifiable factors- not merely political bias, but an obvious product of technological upheaval and cutthroat capitalism- we're stuck in an era of fake news clustering in headlines on a weekly basis. And I don't excuse the objectionable just because it has reasons for existing, everything has reasons.
Gold: 500.00
Jan 28 2018 12:12am
Quote (Warlock316 @ Jan 27 2018 11:42pm)

wait, we're back to trusting the fbi now?
Gold: 10,485.00
Jan 28 2018 01:37am
Quote (duffman316 @ Jan 28 2018 01:12am)

Hardly.
Gold: 5.77
Jan 28 2018 05:55am
Quote (duffman316 @ Jan 27 2018 11:12pm)

No, they are being run by the Illuminati.
Gold: 2,617.52
Jan 28 2018 07:55am
Quote (duffman316 @ Jan 28 2018 02:12am)

Insert broken clocks sometimes being right saying
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Jan 28 2018 09:15am
Quote (EndlessSky @ 28 Jan 2018 14:55)
Insert broken clocks sometimes being right saying

how does that go again? broken clocks are only right when i like the time they display?
Gold: 2,617.52
Jan 28 2018 10:26am
Quote (fender @ Jan 28 2018 11:15am)
how does that go again? broken clocks are only right when i like the time they display?

Drumpf reeeeee
Gold: 260.11
Jan 28 2018 10:29am
Quote (EndlessSky @ Jan 28 2018 10:26am)
Drumpf reeeeee

YUUUUUGE waste of time
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1165416551656165716583169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll