d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Mueller Report
Prev1162163164165166173Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
May 31 2019 08:06am
Quote (majorblood @ May 30 2019 06:08pm)
run the most corrupt cities too

You mean big cities with lots of business.
Gold: 24.06
May 31 2019 08:17am
Quote (excellence @ May 31 2019 07:02am)
he won the election when it was supposed to her -> turn

Truth.
Gold: 5,016.77
May 31 2019 08:52am
Quote (Landmine @ May 31 2019 08:37am)
What crime did the president commit?

Put aside the visceral need to defend Trump, and try to answer the questions I've asked. Or just don't reply.
Gold: 2,504.69
May 31 2019 08:56am
Quote (IceMage @ May 31 2019 07:30am)
I'm curious... how do people expect our system to handle presidents who commit crimes?

Some say Congress should investigate. That seems extremely naive. Congress doesn't have the ability to adequately investigate matters like the Russia investigation, and even if they did, you would have hacks like Devin Nunes handling it.

So DOJ has to be the one to investigate. And if they find evidence of wrongdoing, but the current AG has a narrow reading of the crime(like Barr on obstruction), Congress and the American people are just supposed to take his word for it that the president is innocent?

What if there is concrete evidence of the crime? What is DOJ supposed to do? You expect Bill Barr or Eric Holder to refer the matter to Congress? Barr explicitly said yesterday that it's not DOJ's role to refer matters to Congress.

Lay it out for me. I think what Mueller did is the most reasonable and fair way to handle something like this.

depends on the crime, level of proof, etc. making a binary process is part of the reason we're where we are. people thought there was a very real chance of Trump being behind bars in time for the midterm, they were misled with an investigation that was poorly planned and led to believe results were coming by the people who called for the investigation, who knew it was a PR move all along.

answer me thing, you think Chuck and Nanci actually counted on Mueller taking Trump down? god i hope not. they fleeced so many people with that horseshit. should have focused on taking back both houses in 2018 and having a better plan for 2020. there still isnt even a real front runner, or good plan for a platform to take him down. just time and effort spend throwing mud at the human equivalent of a mudpile.
May 31 2019 09:13am
Quote (thesnipa @ May 31 2019 09:56am)
depends on the crime, level of proof, etc. making a binary process is part of the reason we're where we are. people thought there was a very real chance of Trump being behind bars in time for the midterm, they were misled with an investigation that was poorly planned and led to believe results were coming by the people who called for the investigation, who knew it was a PR move all along.

answer me thing, you think Chuck and Nanci actually counted on Mueller taking Trump down? god i hope not. they fleeced so many people with that horseshit. should have focused on taking back both houses in 2018 and having a better plan for 2020. there still isnt even a real front runner, or good plan for a platform to take him down. just time and effort spend throwing mud at the human equivalent of a mudpile.

"It depends" isn't a very helpful answer.

You're asking me about a different issue. I want to stick with my main question, which is how to properly investigate and then deal with the consequences of that investigation if the president might have committed a crime.
Gold: 57.00
May 31 2019 09:18am
Quote (IceMage @ 31 May 2019 09:30)
I'm curious... how do people expect our system to handle presidents who commit crimes?

Quote (IceMage @ 31 May 2019 11:13)

You're asking me about a different issue. I want to stick with my main question, which is how to properly investigate and then deal with the consequences of that investigation if the president might have committed a crime.

backtracked faster than when you tried to bet everyone here *LAUGH OUT LOUD*
May 31 2019 09:26am
Quote (excellence @ May 31 2019 10:18am)
backtracked faster than when you tried to bet everyone here *LAUGH OUT LOUD*

Boring troll is boring.
Gold: 226.37
May 31 2019 09:55am
Quote (IceMage @ May 31 2019 08:19am)
Dershowitz's opinion doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Comey's press conference was bad because he was speaking ill of a private citizen. Mueller simply restated statements that are contained in his report(which was made public, and which almost nobody read), concerning behavior of the president. If someone is immune from prosecution, obviously DOJ has to treat the situation differently if that person might have committed a crime.

Mueller laid out the evidence he had for obstruction. If Trump had not done all those stupid things, he would have been completely exonerated by Mueller. That seems important to everybody outside the Trump cult.

Comey was speaking about the presumed president, but that's beside the point.

His job as a prosecutor is not to investigate and determine innocence, that's not a function of a prosecutorial role. Telling us that he can't exonerate Trump is staying the obvious, but is inappropriate in what it suggests, that Trump committed a crime that Mueller himself says he doesn't know if Trump committed.

Stop with the "Trump cult" nonsense. The Democratic party has become completely unhinged by the fact that they turned off Catholic and white voters with their extreme stances on abortion, culture, and racial policy (reparations lol).

This post was edited by bogie160 on May 31 2019 09:55am
Gold: 12,730.67
May 31 2019 09:59am
Quote (bogie160 @ May 31 2019 07:55am)
Comey was speaking about the presumed president, but that's beside the point.

His job as a prosecutor is not to investigate and determine innocence, that's not a function of a prosecutorial role. Telling us that he can't exonerate Trump is staying the obvious, but is inappropriate in what it suggests, that Trump committed a crime that Mueller himself says he doesn't know if Trump committed.

Stop with the "Trump cult" nonsense. The Democratic party has become completely unhinged by the fact that they turned off Catholic and white voters with their extreme stances on abortion, culture, and racial policy (reparations lol).

I'm not convinced regarding Dershowitz's opinion given that the Special Counsel isn't a traditional prosecutor and the President isn't a traditional citizen. I think the ideal scenario would have been for Mueller to explicitly say that Congress needs to take it from here and leave it at that. There are too many other interpretations now which I don't really like.

Quote (IceMage @ May 31 2019 05:30am)

Some say Congress should investigate. That seems extremely naive. Congress doesn't have the ability to adequately investigate matters like the Russia investigation, and even if they did, you would have hacks like Devin Nunes handling it.

So DOJ has to be the one to investigate. And if they find evidence of wrongdoing, but the current AG has a narrow reading of the crime(like Barr on obstruction), Congress and the American people are just supposed to take his word for it that the president is innocent?

What if there is concrete evidence of the crime? What is DOJ supposed to do? You expect Bill Barr or Eric Holder to refer the matter to Congress? Barr explicitly said yesterday that it's not DOJ's role to refer matters to Congress.

Lay it out for me. I think what Mueller did is the most reasonable and fair way to handle something like this.

Yea, well, that's what's in the Constitution. We have no one else to blame except ourselves if we have hacks on committees since government is a reflection of the people.

This post was edited by thundercock on May 31 2019 10:04am
Gold: 2,504.69
May 31 2019 10:01am
Quote (IceMage @ May 31 2019 09:13am)

welcome to the law.

every proper legal proceeding ever is complicated as fuck. what do you want, a 3 sentence answer on how to potentially handle every POSSIBLE criminal act by a potus?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1162163164165166173Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll