d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing Week
Prev1162163164165166443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 500.00
Sep 24 2018 10:34pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Sep 24 2018 11:27pm)
Think about it this way:

You have an entire political machine setting their sights on either digging up, or fabricating, dirt on one guy. Nothing is out of bounds here. Yet will all those resources and no restrictions, this is the best they can come up with? A whisper that he may have done something in high school that isn't even that bad by today's cultural standards. And by the standards of the time it happened, there wasn't even the slightest thing wrong with it. An overclothes grope by kids at a party? Give me a break. What's next, is the next candidate going to be accused of watching an R-rated movie when he was only 15? And the candidate after that is going to be accused of kicking his mother too hard while he was in the womb?

If this is all they can "find", then I gotta think that this dude must be a fucking saint. The Democrats have publicly vetted him for office better than any background check from any security firm could ever hope to.

i'm guessing you supported brock turner during his trial for attempted rape

This post was edited by duffman316 on Sep 24 2018 10:34pm
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Sep 24 2018 10:34pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Sep 25 2018 12:27am)
Think about it this way:

You have an entire political machine setting their sights on either digging up, or fabricating, dirt on one guy. Nothing is out of bounds here. Yet will all those resources and no restrictions, this is the best they can come up with? A whisper that he may have done something in high school that isn't even that bad by today's cultural standards. And by the standards of the time it happened, there wasn't even the slightest thing wrong with it. An overclothes grope by kids at a party? Give me a break. What's next, is the next candidate going to be accused of watching an R-rated movie when he was only 15? And the candidate after that is going to be accused of kicking his mother too hard while he was in the womb?

If this is all they can "find", then I gotta think that this dude must be a fucking saint. The Democrats have publicly vetted him for office better than any background check from any security firm could ever hope to.

so you're completely ruling out that Dr. Ford is telling the truth and that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her and she wants the US OF A to know who they're getting as a crucial vote on the now political SC for the next 30+ years? Because if these allegations were known to be true (near impossible to prove, but the victim should be heard), that would swing enough votes to reject his nomination...

let her share her story to see what she has to say and then we can judge the situation more fairly...
Sep 24 2018 10:35pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Sep 25 2018 12:34am)
i'm guessing you supported brock turner during his trial for attempted rape

lol'd
Sep 24 2018 10:36pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Sep 25 2018 12:30am)

2020: Trump vs Avenatti

I'd vote for Avenatti in a heartbeat

Gold: 4,404.67
Sep 24 2018 10:39pm
Quote (Horford @ 25 Sep 2018 06:36)
I'd vote for Avenatti in a heartbeat

wouldnt have expected anything else from an ""independent"" like you.
Gold: 63,142.89
Sep 24 2018 10:44pm
Quote (Horford @ Sep 25 2018 12:34am)
so you're completely ruling out that Dr. Ford is telling the truth and that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her and she wants the US OF A to know who they're getting as a crucial vote on the now political SC for the next 30+ years? Because if these allegations were known to be true (near impossible to prove, but the victim should be heard), that would swing enough votes to reject his nomination...

let her share her story to see what she has to say and then we can judge the situation more fairly...

I'm not ruling it out. I haven't heard her testimony. I'm just interpreting the message we have heard from Kavanaugh's political opponents.

The message their actions are sending is: This is the worst thing we could find on him.

Pretty much a message of support for his appointment. Because I'm pretty sure that any other possible candidate (as long as they are human) has done something just as bad (or worse) than what Kavanaugh is being accused of. Therefore, that action (even if he did it) should not exclude him from the position.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Sep 24 2018 10:54pm
Sep 24 2018 10:59pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Sep 25 2018 12:44am)
I'm not ruling it out. I haven't heard her testimony. I'm just interpreting the message we have heard from Kavanaugh's political opponents.

The message their actions are sending is: This is the worst thing we could find on him.

Pretty much a message of support for his appointment. Because I'm pretty sure that any other possible candidate (as long as they are human) has done something just as bad (or worse) than what Kavanaugh is being accused of. Therefore, that action (even if he did it) should not exclude him from the position.

Very strange interpretation...
It's up to 50+ senators to decide not you.
Gold: 63,142.89
Sep 24 2018 11:04pm
Quote (Horford @ Sep 25 2018 12:59am)
Very strange interpretation...
It's up to 50+ senators to decide not you.

A: Anyone who thinks that people should not post their thoughts in this forum (because we aren't senators) is free to stop posting their thoughts in this forum.

B: Anyone who think that it's ok for people to post their opinions on politics can continue to do so.

You happen to fall under category B.
Gold: 2,620.00
Sep 24 2018 11:29pm
Just finished watching the full Kavanaugh interview. He came across as very rigid and anxious, not wanting to deviate from his very strict script at all.

I don't really blame him. This has to be the most stressful time of his life. And if these allegations are all false, this really is a horrible assassination of character.

But it also made me remember that Kavanaugh is Trump's B team pick. Gorsuch is much smoother...he likely would have handled these tough questions much better. Scalia probably would have also knocked this interview out of the park. Well, as well as anyone could in such high-stakes circumstances.

Iunno. Just haven't been very impressed by Kavanaugh during his hearings or many parts of this process. Most SCOTUS Justices have that "it" factor, where the room lights up when they talk about their life story and the law. Definitely got that vibe from Scalia, Kennedy, and even Gorsuch during his testimony last year.

Kavanaugh just seems kinda meh to me. Don't get me wrong, he seems very qualified and smart as fuck, and I think most people, including me, would behave similar to him in a such a crazy stressful situation like this. But SCOTUS Justices aren't normal people. Clarence Thomas, who was also accused of sexual misconduct, looked a lot more confident, charasmatic, and convincing in his hearings. Guess Kavanaugh would make a good pair with Stephen Breyer, the court's other relatively uninspiring and middling justice.

Also, how fucking weird is it that we have a SCOTUS nominee esentially pleading his case on a highly political cable news network? Felt like he was campaigning. Maybe it's necessary with all the attacks he has had slinged at him, but whether it's the fault of Democrats, Republicans, or both, this once sacred process has gotten so political that it's sad.

This post was edited by ThatAlex on Sep 24 2018 11:30pm
Sep 25 2018 12:01am
Quote (Kayeto @ Sep 25 2018 01:04am)
A: Anyone who thinks that people should not post their thoughts in this forum (because we aren't senators) is free to stop posting their thoughts in this forum.

B: Anyone who think that it's ok for people to post their opinions on politics can continue to do so.

You happen to fall under category B.

Not sure what you're trying to say to be honest. Are you saying that if Kavanaugh were to admit to doing the things he is currently accused of that wouldn't change your opinion on whether or not you'd vote for him?! Because that would quite possibly swing Kavanaugh's confirmation, hence why i said it's up to 50 senators to decide, not you.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1162163164165166443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll