d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Mueller Report
Prev1161162163164165173Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,504.69
May 30 2019 08:45am
Quote (Beowulf @ May 30 2019 08:44am)
that boomer humor spam is always top notch

4sho

remember when on southpark they just took words out of boyband songs and put in Jesus or God?

Ghot takes a song and just plants in "hunt" after "witch" and actually thought it was worth posting.
Gold: 5,016.77
May 30 2019 08:46am
Quote (bogie160 @ May 30 2019 08:29am)
He could have answered "Yes, I would probably recommend an indictment if not for Justice Department precedent."

Does that seem so hard?

I don't see this as operating outside the traditional rules of prosecutorial conduct. Which is why I'm surprised that Mueller would say anything at all aside from "indict / not indict". As a prosecutor, it's not his job to ascertain guilt or innocence, but to make a recommendation as to whether to indict.

This makes the hysteria surrounding this worse. It is not Mueller's job to exonerate the president, so his failure to do so in writing should come as no surprise.

For Trump, however, this is "exoneration" in the same sense that anyone would feel exonerated if accused of a crime and it was dismissed / the prosecution declined to indict. We enjoy presumption of innocence, after all. Does anyone reasonably expect Trump, after declaring his innocence, to say, "Well, I believe I'm innocent, but because Mueller didn't so specifically declare, it's still up in the air."?

You don't see how the president of the United States, a person who the DOJ can't indict, doesn't require special handling by a prosecutor?

@bold: I feel like you're being willfully obtuse. Donald Trump is the POTUS... he can't be indicted. So Mueller's refusal to recommend charges is not an exoneration at all. The facts are in the report, and the only reasonable remedy is for Congress to determine whether impeachment is warranted.

This post was edited by IceMage on May 30 2019 08:49am
May 30 2019 09:23am

Gold: 226.37
May 30 2019 09:25am
Quote (IceMage @ May 30 2019 09:46am)
You don't see how the president of the United States, a person who the DOJ can't indict, doesn't require special handling by a prosecutor?

@bold: I feel like you're being willfully obtuse. Donald Trump is the POTUS... he can't be indicted. So Mueller's refusal to recommend charges is not an exoneration at all. The facts are in the report, and the only reasonable remedy is for Congress to determine whether impeachment is warranted.

Dershowitz wrote a good piece on this. In short, no, Mueller should not be operating outside his role as prosecutor.

Bold - And yet Mueller told Barr specifically that he was not saying he would have indicted but for the OLC memo.

This is obviously a decision for Congress, but Mueller saying that he can't definitely state that Trump didn't commit a crime is a nothingburger. Proving innocence is not a prosecutorial function.
Gold: 5,388.33
May 30 2019 05:08pm
Quote (Skinned @ May 30 2019 07:10am)
Democrats are objectively better by all those measurements and the data and history supports this.

run the most corrupt cities too
May 31 2019 07:19am
Quote (bogie160 @ May 30 2019 10:25am)
Dershowitz wrote a good piece on this. In short, no, Mueller should not be operating outside his role as prosecutor.

Bold - And yet Mueller told Barr specifically that he was not saying he would have indicted but for the OLC memo.

This is obviously a decision for Congress, but Mueller saying that he can't definitely state that Trump didn't commit a crime is a nothingburger. Proving innocence is not a prosecutorial function.

Dershowitz's opinion doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Comey's press conference was bad because he was speaking ill of a private citizen. Mueller simply restated statements that are contained in his report(which was made public, and which almost nobody read), concerning behavior of the president. If someone is immune from prosecution, obviously DOJ has to treat the situation differently if that person might have committed a crime.

Mueller laid out the evidence he had for obstruction. If Trump had not done all those stupid things, he would have been completely exonerated by Mueller. That seems important to everybody outside the Trump cult.

This post was edited by IceMage on May 31 2019 07:21am
Gold: 2,504.69
May 31 2019 07:24am
Impeachment is like the People's Court. It's the place you take a nasty ex after a breakup because you can't prove it in a real court and you want to provide maximum embarrassment on national TV.
May 31 2019 07:30am
I'm curious... how do people expect our system to handle presidents who commit crimes?

Some say Congress should investigate. That seems extremely naive. Congress doesn't have the ability to adequately investigate matters like the Russia investigation, and even if they did, you would have hacks like Devin Nunes handling it.

So DOJ has to be the one to investigate. And if they find evidence of wrongdoing, but the current AG has a narrow reading of the crime(like Barr on obstruction), Congress and the American people are just supposed to take his word for it that the president is innocent?

What if there is concrete evidence of the crime? What is DOJ supposed to do? You expect Bill Barr or Eric Holder to refer the matter to Congress? Barr explicitly said yesterday that it's not DOJ's role to refer matters to Congress.

Lay it out for me. I think what Mueller did is the most reasonable and fair way to handle something like this.

This post was edited by IceMage on May 31 2019 07:34am
Gold: 24.06
May 31 2019 07:37am
Quote (IceMage @ May 31 2019 06:30am)
I'm curious... how do people expect our system to handle presidents who commit crimes?

Some say Congress should investigate. That seems extremely naive. Congress doesn't have the ability to adequately investigate matters like the Russia investigation, and even if they did, you would have hacks like Devin Nunes handling it.

So DOJ has to be the one to investigate. And if they find evidence of wrongdoing, but the current AG has a narrow reading of the crime(like Barr on obstruction), Congress and the American people are just supposed to take his word for it that the president is innocent?

What if there is concrete evidence of the crime? What is DOJ supposed to do? You expect Bill Barr or Eric Holder to refer the matter to Congress? Barr explicitly said yesterday that it's not DOJ's role to refer matters to Congress.

Lay it out for me. I think what Mueller did is the most reasonable and fair way to handle something like this.

What crime did the president commit?
Gold: 57.00
May 31 2019 08:02am
Quote (Landmine @ 31 May 2019 09:37)
What crime did the president commit?

he won the election when it was supposed to her -> turn
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1161162163164165173Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll