d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Stephen Breyer Announces Retirement
Prev1141516
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Jan 28 2022 03:35pm
Quote (Surfpunk @ Jan 28 2022 03:20pm)
The same people that harp about $5 trillion (and try to imply that the spending is for a single year) will not bat an eye at a $750-800 billion defense budget, and not do the same math that puts defense at $8 trillion over the same time frame.

Almost like they're just straight-up lying or something.

Gee I wonder why nobody takes black and others seriously.

Inb4 "not infrastructure". As if it matters

This post was edited by NetflixAdaptationWidow on Jan 28 2022 03:36pm
Gold: 260.11
Jan 29 2022 03:44am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 28 2022 03:35pm)
Except that the majority of these $5 trillion would not be going to infrastructure. You literally regurgitate the Democratic propaganda of branding social spending as "investing into human infrastructure", yet accuse me of being a propaganda victim. :rofl:

Fair enough. Note, however, that I didn't mention any of these points in my list. Foreign policy is one area in which Democrats haven't gone fully bonkers yet, thank god.

A lot of the spending would perpetuate itself, the real price tag of BBB would end up being significantly higher than these projections...
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/10/politics/build-back-better-cbo-score/index.html

The CBO estimates that the true price tag of the $1.75 trillion proposal at the time would be in the ballpark of $3 trillion. Applying a similar factor, the original proposals made by the Biden admin and congressional Democrats ( the things they and the bulk of the party wanted to pass before they had to placate Manchin) would come with a price tag well in excess of $5 trillion.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/most-democrats-promise-to-decriminalize-border-crossings-during-2020-debate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCMwkLFrpYA

The sheer audacity of accusing me of lying when it is you who's clearly wrong on this specific point is astonishing...

The Biden admin only begrudgingly reinstated the Remain in Mexico policy after a federal court forced him to. Kamala only told foreigners not to come after she and the Biden admin had been sending signals of porous borders for months, triggering a tsunami of people trying to come which has overburdened the border facilities and created a huge mess.

https://apnews.com/article/mexico-courts-immigration-us-supreme-court-a3fe33081fa2909c17e8c08a2c37f818

Okay, maybe not socialized healthcare, but universal healthcare well to the left of Obamacare is definitely the majority position of the party. That Biden isn't currently making healthcare a priority doesn't contradict that. But fair enough, I'll conede this point.

The big majority of my points are demonstrably right, lol, and you are clearly far less impervious to Democratic propaganda than you'd like to think. ^_^

Doesn't matter one iota to the conversation what proportion is infrastructure. For this conversation I'll go ahead and say 100% of it is in fact not infrastructure. I don't care. If the 500 billion a year price tag was enough to send us over some cliff then the military budget is also a concern. Oh, it's not? In fact it goes up every year? Funny how that works. Almost like the idea that BBB would send us over some imaginary cliff is just propaganda, and nobody ever makes the same comparisons when it comes to military spending, corporate give aways, etc. etc. And let's also not forget that most of BBB would be paid for with tax increases, which actually counteracts the inflation argument. is fond of pointing this out.

Oh, they said it in a debate? Cool story. Show me the policy proposals that have been made to open borders. Show me the REAL ACTION taken to do that. Oh, what's that? They didn't even make a slight attempt to open the borders and Biden still has them on full lockdown with the full support of his party? Almost like Democrats aren't actually interested in opening the borders.

They were "sending signals of porous borders for months". Great way to say "I drank the kool-aid" while Biden is actively fighting to illegally keep refugees out and continued most of Trump's worst policies on the subject. Your entire defense on Immigration comes down to "but they said some things. NO NO DON'T LOOK AT THE POLICIES THAT WERE IMPLEMENTED. THE IMPORTANT THING IS A THING THEY SAID"

Thanks for conceding, but you aren't doing justice to the point here. Democrats in the 1990's were for a universal healthcare plan and actively pushed for it. The current Democrats are far to the right of 90's Democrats even after their "surge to the left". Democrats are still massively to the right of where they were in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. This also goes for taxes. Just taking taxes to where they were 10 years ago is seen as fringe lunacy within the Republicans AND Democrats. Taxes are another point where you are just demonstrably wrong.

Your points are literally all false. Even the ones you think you demonstrated, you didn't.

You know what really makes me frustrated though? I don't like Democrats. I would LOVE substantive criticism of Democrats. But you don't have any. You just spew Republican talking points without a second thought and make me debunk them. You make me feel the need to defend Democrats from your obvious lies when I'd much rather be making REAL criticism of Democrats. I'll gladly hop on the shit train with you and bash them to high heaven. So the fact that you can't even get me to jump on that should really clue you in to something.

This post was edited by NetflixAdaptationWidow on Jan 29 2022 04:04am
Gold: 4,404.67
Jan 29 2022 09:14am
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ 29 Jan 2022 10:44)
Doesn't matter one iota to the conversation what proportion is infrastructure. For this conversation I'll go ahead and say 100% of it is in fact not infrastructure. I don't care. If the 500 billion a year price tag was enough to send us over some cliff then the military budget is also a concern. Oh, it's not? In fact it goes up every year? Funny how that works.

The military budget serves mutliple purposes. First, it serves to maintain US military hegemony and secure stuff like the petro dollar which contribute greatly to the wealth of the country. Second, it serves as an indirect make-work program for low IQ males and their families. Third, it serves as a hidden research funding program.

So while I agree that the US military budget is bloated and ridiculous and could be boiled down by $200-300 billion per year, it's not like this budget is 100% wasted and doesn't provide anything of value to society.

Almost like the idea that BBB would send us over some imaginary cliff is just propaganda, and nobody ever makes the same comparisons when it comes to military spending, corporate give aways, etc. etc.

I didn't say that BBB would send you over a cliff. Proposing some $5 trillion in additional spending, particularly with most of its funding shaky and up in the air while the entitlements are more likely than not (going by historical experience) to perpetuate, is still a huge break with previous fiscal policy. You might agree with this bill on its merits, but don't tell me it wouldn't represent a huge increase in government spending.

And let's also not forget that most of BBB would be paid for with tax increases, which actually counteracts the inflation argument. ^thundercock is fond of pointing this out.

A valid argument, but the scope of this effect greatly hinges upon where exactly the tax increases would come from. If you just throw additional money at poor and middle-class families that comes from taxing corporations in the middle of a supply squeeze, you're just gonna create a price spiral that eats up the gains.

Oh, they said it in a debate? Cool story. Show me the policy proposals that have been made to open borders. Show me the REAL ACTION taken to do that. Oh, what's that? They didn't even make a slight attempt to open the borders and Biden still has them on full lockdown with the full support of his party? Almost like Democrats aren't actually interested in opening the borders.

The Biden admin did reverse a lot of Trump's border policies, with disastrous consequences. That, plus federal courts forcing them to reverse course, is the reason why the border is more closed right now. Border apprehensions for 2021 are still estimated to be in the ballpark of 2m. Funny how that works while Biden purportedly kept the border on full lockdown. :lol:

So to sum it up, Biden and his party did want to open up the borders substantially and only stopped when this policy failed and became legally and politically untenable. Similar to how Republicans truly wanted to repeal Obamacare and only gave up on trying after they saw in 17/18 that they couldn't pull it off and would pay a heavy political price. Democrats still campaigned in 2018 that "Republicans want to take away your healthcare", and rightfully so! The big difference ofc being that border policy can be heavily influenced by EOs and unilateral action of the executive while healthcare needs to go through Congress.

They were "sending signals of porous borders for months". Great way to say "I drank the kool-aid" while Biden is actively fighting to illegally keep refugees out and continued most of Trump's worst policies on the subject. Your entire defense on Immigration comes down to "but they said some things. NO NO DON'T LOOK AT THE POLICIES THAT WERE IMPLEMENTED. THE IMPORTANT THING IS A THING THEY SAID"

Again: 2 million border apprehensions; Biden and Kamala publicly promised a more "humane" (we all know what that means) asylum policy and only reinstated Remain in Mexico after a court forced them to do so. And Biden's DoJ actively fought against this court ruling. So yeah, you're still closing your eyes to reality on this one...

You know what really makes me frustrated though? I don't like Democrats. I would LOVE substantive criticism of Democrats. But you don't have any. You just spew Republican talking points without a second thought and make me debunk them. You make me feel the need to defend Democrats from your obvious lies when I'd much rather be making REAL criticism of Democrats. I'll gladly hop on the shit train with you and bash them to high heaven. So the fact that you can't even get me to jump on that should really clue you in to something.

That's not really a surprise, lol. You're criticizing Democrats for not tacking left enough while I criticize them for going too far to the left on many issues. (For the record: healthcare and foreign policy are not part of it.)
Hence, the fact that I can't get you to agree with my criticisms doesn't mean anything.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jan 29 2022 09:16am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1141516
Add Reply New Topic New Poll