d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Got Questions About God? > #1 Can You Really Trust The Bible?
Prev1141516171878Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,042.00
Mar 31 2013 10:41pm
I believe in the unchanged WORD of God which is a tricky thing to most people, because in John it states the Word IS God and therefore unchangeable. This is sort of the premise to absolute truth.

The Word of God (capital W) is the notion of ultimate truth. It is often represented by the Bible. However, is the Word of God the literal bible? Yes and no. Hypothetically, if all bibles were destroyed, does that mean the Word of God is destroyed? No. The Word of God is the ultimate truth that exists. It can exist without the presence of Bibles, and can be passed on orally.

It's often paralleled that the Word of God is the Bible, though the Bible is just a manifestation of the Word. Can this manifestation of the Word be changing? Yes and no again. The original languages of the Bible, Hebrew + Greek + a little Aramaic is believed to be the most authentic representation of the Word, so this is very very very rarely changed. Only when earlier and earlier manuscripts are found is there any alterations (like what Poulgragr dug up). The English translation however is always changing. The English translation is always changing because culture changes. We have new idioms for words, and lose meaning for words. For example, perhaps in Mark 1:41 says when Jesus "took pity" on the leper, it didn't convey the right meaning. Current readers may take pity as a very negative thing. So in essence, to make sure the original meaning of the Greek was kept, the translation may be "Jesus was filled with compassion", or "Jesus was moved with compassion", etc.

So the English translation changes, but not to change the meaning, but to keep the meaning.
Gold: 655.00
Mar 31 2013 10:47pm
Quote (dajusta @ Apr 1 2013 12:41am)
I believe in the unchanged WORD of God which is a tricky thing to most people, because in John it states the Word IS God and therefore unchangeable. This is sort of the premise to absolute truth.

The Word of God (capital W) is the notion of ultimate truth. It is often represented by the Bible. However, is the Word of God the literal bible? Yes and no. Hypothetically, if all bibles were destroyed, does that mean the Word of God is destroyed? No. The Word of God is the ultimate truth that exists. It can exist without the presence of Bibles, and can be passed on orally.

It's often paralleled that the Word of God is the Bible, though the Bible is just a manifestation of the Word. Can this manifestation of the Word be changing? Yes and no again. The original languages of the Bible, Hebrew + Greek + a little Aramaic is believed to be the most authentic representation of the Word, so this is very very very rarely changed. Only when earlier and earlier manuscripts are found is there any alterations (like what Poulgragr dug up). The English translation however is always changing. The English translation is always changing because culture changes. We have new idioms for words, and lose meaning for words. For example, perhaps in Mark 1:41 says when Jesus "took pity" on the leper, it didn't convey the right meaning. Current readers may take pity as a very negative thing. So in essence, to make sure the original meaning of the Greek was kept, the translation may be "Jesus was filled with compassion", or "Jesus was moved with compassion", etc.

So the English translation changes, but not to change the meaning, but to keep the meaning.

Quote (poulgaragr @ Mar 31 2013 06:48pm)

How about the fact that making fun of my font has nothing to do with the fact that you CAN'T EVER REFUTE ME???

There you go Poulgaragr, the Word of god, thats Word with a capital W, is no so much the literal word, word, but the metaphorical sense of the word where it represents the will of god.
Gold: 2,913.00
Mar 31 2013 11:53pm
Quote (dajusta @ Apr 1 2013 04:41am)
I believe in the unchanged WORD of God which is a tricky thing to most people, because in John it states the Word IS God and therefore unchangeable.  This is sort of the premise to absolute truth.

The Word of God (capital W) is the notion of ultimate truth.  It is often represented by the Bible.  However, is the Word of God the literal bible?  Yes and no.  Hypothetically, if all bibles were destroyed, does that mean the Word of God is destroyed?  No.  The Word of God is the ultimate truth that exists.  It can exist without the presence of Bibles, and can be passed on orally.

It's often paralleled that the Word of God is the Bible, though the Bible is just a manifestation of the Word.  Can this manifestation of the Word be changing?  Yes and no again.  The original languages of the Bible, Hebrew + Greek + a little Aramaic is believed to be the most authentic representation of the Word, so this is very very very rarely changed.  Only when earlier and earlier manuscripts are found is there any alterations (like what Poulgragr dug up).  The English translation however is always changing.  The English translation is always changing because culture changes.  We have new idioms for words, and lose meaning for words.  For example, perhaps in Mark 1:41 says  when Jesus "took pity" on the leper, it didn't convey the right meaning.  Current readers may take pity as a very negative thing.  So in essence, to make sure the original meaning of the Greek was kept, the translation may be "Jesus was filled with compassion", or "Jesus was moved with compassion", etc. 

Oh really?

Have a look then:

“‘How can you say, “We are wise,
for we have the law of the Lord,”
when actually the lying pen of the scribes
has turned it into a lie?

Jeremiah 8:8

IMAGINE! The bible itself ADMITS that it has been corrupted!

LOL!
Mar 31 2013 11:58pm
Quote (poulgaragr @ Mar 31 2013 10:53pm)
Oh really?

Have a look then:

“‘How can you say, “We are wise,
    for we have the law of the Lord,”
when actually the lying pen of the scribes
    has turned it into a lie?

Jeremiah 8:8

IMAGINE! The bible itself ADMITS that it has been corrupted!

LOL!

Taken out of context but nice try.

Why not just quote the bible where it says "there is no god" from psalm 14:1?
Gold: 450.60
Apr 1 2013 12:34am
Quote (dajusta @ Apr 1 2013 12:58am)
Taken out of context but nice try.

Why not just quote the bible where it says "there is no god" from psalm 14:1?

good point... People can bend any argument there way with a huge book they can extract any statements out of. I for one am finding myself questioning my faith as of late, and I'm trying to rebuild my relationship with god for I know it has withered. But none the less, I do take into account the many flaws I find in the bible that have been written down by many generations of people who interpret the word from their own POV. Also I have always thought about the fact that, I was born into a Christian family and brought up in the Christian church, what about the boy who was brought up in a muslim community and taught that Allah is god and muhammad is a holy prophet. Why does he have no chance only because of the surroundings he was brought up in. There are many things that go into the equation of life and faith. And I myself will take a lifetime to come to peace with it, but I do have faith in the Lord, only because of my personal experiences and the great presence I feel when i pray to my Savior and Creator. God Bless you guys, with no offense to any other religion, only utmost respect and gratitude.
Apr 1 2013 09:08am
Quote (ReXsOwNs @ Mar 31 2013 11:34pm)
good point... People can bend any argument there way with a huge book they can extract any statements out of. I for one am finding myself questioning my faith as of late, and I'm trying to rebuild my relationship with god for I know it has withered. But none the less, I do take into account the many flaws I find in the bible that have been written down by many generations of people who interpret the word from their own POV. Also I have always thought about the fact that, I was born into a Christian family and brought up in the Christian church, what about the boy who was brought up in a muslim community and taught that Allah is god and muhammad is a holy prophet. Why does he have no chance only because of the surroundings he was brought up in. There are many things that go into the equation of life and faith. And I myself will take a lifetime to come to peace with it, but I do have faith in the Lord, only because of my personal experiences and the great presence I feel when i pray to my Savior and Creator. God Bless you guys, with no offense to any other religion, only utmost respect and gratitude.

Thank you for your sharing. Faith is a life long journey and although the path can be challenging, it makes the destination all that more meaningful.

Gold: 0.00
Apr 2 2013 04:29am
Quote (dajusta @ Apr 2 2013 01:08am)
Thank you for your sharing. Faith is a life long journey and although the path can be challenging, it makes the destination all that more meaningful.

Would you still follow the life long journey on that path if you KNEW before you started that at the end of that path was a dead end?
Gold: 11,700.00
Apr 2 2013 04:35am
Quote (CPK001 @ 2 Apr 2013 10:29)
Would you still follow the life long journey on that path if you KNEW before you started that at the end of that path was a dead end?

good you question a kindred spirit ;)

sorry, no could do as you asked with 20k :o

but you are slack, where is #9? that should be up by now :lol:
Gold: 7,252.72
Apr 2 2013 05:28am
Quote (dajusta @ Apr 1 2013 12:41am)
I believe in the unchanged WORD of God which is a tricky thing to most people, because in John it states the Word IS God and therefore unchangeable.  This is sort of the premise to absolute truth.

The Word of God (capital W) is the notion of ultimate truth.  It is often represented by the Bible.  However, is the Word of God the literal bible?  Yes and no.  Hypothetically, if all bibles were destroyed, does that mean the Word of God is destroyed?  No.  The Word of God is the ultimate truth that exists.  It can exist without the presence of Bibles, and can be passed on orally.

It's often paralleled that the Word of God is the Bible, though the Bible is just a manifestation of the Word.  Can this manifestation of the Word be changing?  Yes and no again.  The original languages of the Bible, Hebrew + Greek + a little Aramaic is believed to be the most authentic representation of the Word, so this is very very very rarely changed.  Only when earlier and earlier manuscripts are found is there any alterations (like what Poulgragr dug up).  The English translation however is always changing.  The English translation is always changing because culture changes.  We have new idioms for words, and lose meaning for words.  For example, perhaps in Mark 1:41 says  when Jesus "took pity" on the leper, it didn't convey the right meaning.  Current readers may take pity as a very negative thing.  So in essence, to make sure the original meaning of the Greek was kept, the translation may be "Jesus was filled with compassion", or "Jesus was moved with compassion", etc. 

...you have just corrupted the meaning and intent of this particular Scripture for your own selfish posturing . :(
Gold: 0.00
Apr 2 2013 08:24am
Quote (brmv @ Apr 2 2013 08:35pm)
good you question a kindred spirit  ;)

sorry, no could do as you asked with 20k  :o

but you are slack, where is #9? that should be up by now  :lol:

The reason why #9 isn't up yet is this.

We had the services for #9 and #10 on Good Friday and Easter Sunday respectively.

However for both services I had to help with the kids program so I didn't actually hear the two sermons.

However, the services are recorded and will come out on vodcast in a few days so I will see the sermon very late but it will be up eventually.

Oh crap, I just realized that I won't have my two headings.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1141516171878Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll