d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > What Is A God?
Prev1141516171822Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 21,300.28
May 15 2024 02:45am
Quote (CPK001 @ 15 May 2024 10:38)
What do you mean? The whole base of the argument is based on what Scripture says. That's why you're here right? To argue Scripture? The last person who tried to say to not quote Scripture didn't get very far at all.

Tell you what, I'll give you one opportunity to disprove all of Christianity. All you need to do is disprove the resurrection of Jesus ever happened. That is the underlying cornerstone of the Christian Faith since everything we believe is 100% reliant on that one event.

Can you disprove the resurrection of Jesus? I'm all ears.

If you claim that jesus exists, it's not his job to disprove something.
Gold: 4,326.24
May 15 2024 06:08am
Quote (CPK001 @ May 15 2024 05:38am)
What do you mean? The whole base of the argument is based on what Scripture says.

No, it's not. The entire conversation about what is a god, is god real, etc can all be had without scripture from the abrahamic religions.

That's why you're here right? To argue Scripture?

No, the title of the thread is "what is a god?". That's a conversation that can be had completely devoid of scripture. Gods in other cultures have existed without the scripture you quoted.

Tell you what, I'll give you one opportunity to disprove all of Christianity. All you need to do is disprove the resurrection of Jesus ever happened.

That's not how it works, if you are claiming that Jeuss was resurrected, then it's on you to prove it happened. It's not on me to prove it didn't happen.

Can you disprove the resurrection of Jesus? I'm all ears.

Can you disprove that Dante traverses the nine circles of Hell?

Can you disprove that Odysseus is held captive by the nymph Calypso on her island, Ogygia, for several years until the gods intervene, and she is ordered to release him.?

I can't prove or disprove the ressurection of Jesus, just like you or I can't prove or disprove scenes in other very old fictional stories in books.
Gold: 6.66
May 15 2024 02:32pm
It's what made SwamiVivekananda ask such silly questions.
Gold: 0.00
May 15 2024 09:29pm
Quote (x_h @ May 15 2024 10:08pm)
No, it's not. The entire conversation about what is a god, is god real, etc can all be had without scripture from the abrahamic religions.

No, the title of the thread is "what is a god?". That's a conversation that can be had completely devoid of scripture. Gods in other cultures have existed without the scripture you quoted.

That's not how it works, if you are claiming that Jeuss was resurrected, then it's on you to prove it happened. It's not on me to prove it didn't happen.

Can you disprove that Dante traverses the nine circles of Hell?

Can you disprove that Odysseus is held captive by the nymph Calypso on her island, Ogygia, for several years until the gods intervene, and she is ordered to release him.?

I can't prove or disprove the ressurection of Jesus, just like you or I can't prove or disprove scenes in other very old fictional stories in books.

You want to know who or what God is? Look to Jesus.

John 14:9-11

9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.

Since you cannot disprove the resurrection of Jesus then Christianity will continue to live on.

This is where Faith comes in. The Bible is littered with examples of Faith in action. I'll even show them to you.

Hebrews 11:1-40

Faith in Action

11 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for.

3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

4 By faith Abel brought God a better offering than Cain did. By faith he was commended as righteous, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith Abel still speaks, even though he is dead.

5 By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death: “He could not be found, because God had taken him away.” For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. 6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

7 By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith.

8 By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. 9 By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. 10 For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God. 11 And by faith even Sarah, who was past childbearing age, was enabled to bear children because she considered him faithful who had made the promise. 12 And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore.

13 All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance, admitting that they were foreigners and strangers on earth. 14 People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. 15 If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. 16 Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.

17 By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had embraced the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, 18 even though God had said to him, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.” 19 Abraham reasoned that God could even raise the dead, and so in a manner of speaking he did receive Isaac back from death.

20 By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau in regard to their future.

21 By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of Joseph’s sons, and worshiped as he leaned on the top of his staff.

22 By faith Joseph, when his end was near, spoke about the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt and gave instructions concerning the burial of his bones.

23 By faith Moses’ parents hid him for three months after he was born, because they saw he was no ordinary child, and they were not afraid of the king’s edict.

24 By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh’s daughter. 25 He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. 26 He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward. 27 By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king’s anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible. 28 By faith he kept the Passover and the application of blood, so that the destroyer of the firstborn would not touch the firstborn of Israel.

29 By faith the people passed through the Red Sea as on dry land; but when the Egyptians tried to do so, they were drowned.

30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell, after the army had marched around them for seven days.

31 By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient.

32 And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson and Jephthah, about David and Samuel and the prophets, 33 who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, 34 quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies. 35 Women received back their dead, raised to life again. There were others who were tortured, refusing to be released so that they might gain an even better resurrection. 36 Some faced jeers and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. 37 They were put to death by stoning;[e] they were sawed in two; they were killed by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated— 38 the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, living in caves and in holes in the ground.

39 These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised, 40 since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

Are you answering a question with a question and trying to throw it back to me? That's not how this works. What happens when you do that is you've shown that you are not willing to tackle such questions, since you know you don't have any evidence.

Quote (BaHgerAUT @ May 15 2024 06:45pm)
If you claim that jesus exists, it's not his job to disprove something.

Who are you?
Gold: 21,300.28
May 16 2024 03:50am
Quote (CPK001 @ 16 May 2024 05:29)
Who are you?

will post endless lord of the ring quotes to answer your question
May 16 2024 04:17am
God is/was an answer for questions we couldn’t figure out. Some people still cling to that belief because the concept of how complex existence really is is entirely too daunting.

That’s entirely my own opinion.
May 16 2024 04:29am
Quote (CPK001 @ May 16 2024 12:29am)

John 14:9-11...

None of these scriptural quotes mean anything to me.

Quote (BaHgerAUT @ May 16 2024 06:50am)

“There is a seed of courage hidden (often deeply, it is true) in the heart of the fattest and most timid hobbit.”

“It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not.”

“May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”

“I wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo. “So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

This post was edited by x_h on May 16 2024 04:33am
May 17 2024 02:59am
Quote (BaHgerAUT @ May 16 2024 07:50pm)

I haven't seen Lord of the Rings.

Quote (x_h @ May 16 2024 08:29pm)
None of these scriptural quotes mean anything to me.

“There is a seed of courage hidden (often deeply, it is true) in the heart of the fattest and most timid hobbit.”

“It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not.”

“May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”

“I wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo. “So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

You don't have the Holy Spirit. Only God can give you the Holy Spirit if He so desires. That will help you understand Scripture.

Since that is the case I highly advise against trying to argue since you will not understand the Word that is presented to you.
May 17 2024 04:06am
Quote (CPK001 @ May 17 2024 05:59am)

You don't have the Holy Spirit. Only God can give you the Holy Spirit if He so desires. That will help you understand Scripture.

Since that is the case I highly advise against trying to argue since you will not understand the Word that is presented to you.

What part of what I wrote do you consider to be an attempt at an argument?
May 17 2024 06:20am
Quote (x_h @ May 17 2024 08:06pm)
What part of what I wrote do you consider to be an attempt at an argument?

These quotes.

That's all just meaningless nonsense.

Faith, by its nature, requires a suspension of critical thinking and a willingness to accept claims without evidence, which runs counter to the principles of logic and reason.

I'm not swayed by small quotes you pulled out of a story book.

This isn't a debate. You said nothing that I find valuable, that's my response.

I'm not interested in your scripture or your song lyrics.

Nothing you said is an argument, which is why I didn't come up with a rebuttal. No rebuttal is needed for song lyrics or scripture.

I'm not interested in biblical hermeneutics.I'm interested in what is true and what is valuable. If you want to make the argument that god is real or the belief in god is valuable or meaningful in someway, I would engage in that conversation, but I'm not going to type out my opinions and thoughts about the world in response to your copying and pasting song lyrics and scripture.

Like I said, you'd best avoid getting into one. I've been down this road many times before. Anything you say and any claim you make will be compared to Scripture whether you like it or not.

You want to save yourself a lot of headache? Just don't bother. I will come on Everyday as I give all I am to the Lord. That Everyday I can be a light that shines His name.

What to say, lord? It's
You who gave me life and I
Can't explain just how
Much you mean to me now
That you have saved me, lord
I give all that I am to you
That everyday I can
Be a light that shines your name

Everyday, lord, I'll
Learn to stand upon your word
And I pray that I
That I might come to know you more