d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing Week
Prev1139140141142143443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,620.00
Sep 24 2018 10:05am
Quote (Horford @ 24 Sep 2018 11:02)
Okay, things are getting crazy, Which of these outcomes is most likely:

1. Supreme court Justice Kavanaugh before the midterms

2. Supreme court Justice Coney Barrett before the miderms

3. Democrats successfully hold off a vote on any nominee until after the midterms

1 is the most likely. 3 is the second most likely.

2 is pie in the sky... Kavanaugh was nominated in early July. It takes months for a SCOTUS Justice to go through the nomination process.

If the GOP wants a SCOTUS Justice confirmed before the midterms, it's Kavanaugh or bust. And my guess is they get him through.
Gold: 2,504.69
Sep 24 2018 10:06am
Quote (Horford @ Sep 24 2018 10:02am)

3. Democrats successfully hold off a vote on any nominee until after the midterms

i mean the GOP are essentially only holding off the vote for optics around the midterms.

and each day the midterms are looking more and more blue.

so if the GOP fears they'll lose the midterms regardless, they may as well vote through a scotus pick, since the last 2 years of Trump's whitehouse will be sunk in terms of policy. I honestly think we're approaching terminal velocity in terms of the optics effects with regards to democratic enthusiasm. there's a blue wave, but no matter how high it gets we won't see the district results change all that much, so might as well get a USSC pick in now.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Sep 24 2018 10:06am
Gold: 13,704.02
Sep 24 2018 10:07am
Quote (Horford @ Sep 24 2018 11:02am)

#1. IMO

I don't see this nomination not going through. If it does somehow get blocked then you'll get #3.

They won't have enough time to push Barrett through if BK goes down in flames.

Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Sep 24 2018 10:07am
Quote (IceMage @ Sep 24 2018 11:59am)
[URL=https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/amy-coney-barrett-under-progressives-religiou-ignorance-bigotry-attack/]https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/amy-coney-barrett-under-progressives-religiou-ignorance-bigotry-attack/[/URL]

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/07/amy-coney-barretts-alleged-religious-group-people-of-praise-what-is-it.html

the cult she belongs to calls abortion (which is really a women's ability to choose what's best for her) is a "morally wrong act".

Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Sep 24 2018 10:22am
Quote (fender @ 22 Sep 2018 02:18)

Quote (thesnipa @ 22 Sep 2018 01:37)
why didn't this get brought up in the hearing designed for this? late leaked by dems, response from dems? "you republicans are the reason this woman cant sleep at home at night", after leaking her story. hmmmm

hire investigators to substantiate what you have for info for the SJC. open or closed. maybe we'll see next week. not a very optimistic outlook based on what there is now.

what is anti choice. define. abortion?

we both know why, because they are trying to exploit it politically and delay the confirmation. a practice well known by republicans of course, but not really relevant concerning the accuser's credibility and her likely motivation. so i'm still somewhat curious why you are so hell bent on labeling perfectly reasonable concerns and arguments regarding this case so harshly.

we also both know what anti-choice means: pro birth, or 'pro-life' as they usually mislabel themselves to give it a more positive spin. i don't know why you're pretending not to get this, i'm pretty sure that the majority on either side think they are doing the right thing, even if it means making the government actively infringe upon (poor) women's self-determination by restricting access to safe abortions because you value your own set of (religiously motivated) morals superior to another person's.

any reply? are you 'pro-life'? i'm still really curious.
Sep 24 2018 10:26am
Quote (fender @ Sep 24 2018 12:22pm)

I'm curious as well, my take is he doesn't have a strong opinion one way or another. He's in the camp that thinks Roe vs. Wade isn't in jeopardy.
Gold: 2,504.69
Sep 24 2018 10:29am
Quote (fender @ Sep 24 2018 10:22am)

I am, and always have been, a 100% pro choice person. I am raised catholic, still religious, and a libertarian.

As far as i know i'm the only religious libertarian who's pro choice, but I could be wrong. I've carefully considered altering my stance, for religous reasons and when i began politically shifting to libertarian just at the end of high school, but never really have. The only caveats would be that I don't support abortions in the 3rd trimester unless it's some crazy abuse or incest victim that is found out late term, I'm undecided on 2nd trimester but lean towards restricting it, and don't feel state funding should be drawn upon for abortions even in cases where the mother would lose her life. Although I support crowd funding efforts or private organizations that collect funding money for any cases of abortion they see fit to donate to.

Quote (Horford @ Sep 24 2018 10:26am)
I'm curious as well, my take is he doesn't have a strong opinion one way or another. He's in the camp that thinks Roe vs. Wade isn't in jeopardy.

i give it maybe a 1/10 chance that the USSC would take up the case. and if struck down I think we'd see maybe 2-5 states further remove abortion from their state, with maybe another handful restricting abortion laws, while another handful actually relaxes abortion laws in response.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Sep 24 2018 10:30am
Sep 24 2018 10:33am
Quote (thesnipa @ Sep 24 2018 12:29pm)
I am, and always have been, a 100% pro choice person. I am raised catholic, still religious, and a libertarian.

As far as i know i'm the only religious libertarian who's pro choice, but I could be wrong. I've carefully considered altering my stance, for religous reasons and when i began politically shifting to libertarian just at the end of high school, but never really have. The only caveats would be that I don't support abortions in the 3rd trimester unless it's some crazy abuse or incest victim that is found out late term, I'm undecided on 2nd trimester but lean towards restricting it, and don't feel state funding should be drawn upon for abortions even in cases where the mother would lose her life. Although I support crowd funding efforts or private organizations that collect funding money for any cases of abortion they see fit to donate to.

i give it maybe a 1/10 chance that the USSC would take up the case. and if struck down I think we'd see maybe 2-5 states further remove abortion from their state, with maybe another handful restricting abortion laws, while another handful actually relaxes abortion laws in response.

There are a handful of states (MORE than two, i know that for a fact, closer to five i think, ) that will automatically ban abortion if Roe vs wade is overturned (I can find a link probably if you wish).

10% chance? lol. Solid 50%+ chance IMO. Not saying it'll be immediate but yeah..
Gold: 22,164.69
Sep 24 2018 10:34am
Quote (Horford @ Sep 24 2018 10:02am)

2. 1. 3. in that order.
Sep 24 2018 10:34am
and how the fuck can you be pro-life and libertarian, those two to me are mutually exclusive...

someone please explain...

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1139140141142143443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll