d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > My Views On Helping The Poor
Prev1131415161729Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Apr 9 2015 12:55pm
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 9 2015 01:33pm)
Yeah, but you can't forget about your monthly white privilege checks you got in the mail.

Oh please, I haven't even cashed one of those checks since November and that was purely to upgrade to a 4k UHD TV during white friday specials to continue my status symbolism.

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Apr 9 2015 12:55pm
Gold: 260.11
Apr 9 2015 01:29pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 9 2015 12:55pm)
Oh please, I haven't even cashed one of those checks since November and that was purely to upgrade to a 4k UHD TV during white friday specials to continue my status symbolism.

Not everybody has it as good as you or I. Good upbringing and mental prowess are important, but now that I'm teaching entry level classes I can honestly say it's been eye opening how many people are absolutely maxed out no matter how long you work with them on even the simplest scientific subjects.
Gold: 1,935.69
Warn: 10%
Apr 9 2015 02:04pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Apr 9 2015 02:29pm)
Not everybody has it as good as you or I. Good upbringing and mental prowess are important, but now that I'm teaching entry level classes I can honestly say it's been eye opening how many people are absolutely maxed out no matter how long you work with them on even the simplest scientific subjects.

I think very few understand that learning is difficult
Gold: 11,345.00
Apr 9 2015 02:19pm
Not everyone is wired the same. Just because your ambitious and successful doesn't mean that everyone can achieve that if they try hard enough thats a lie. I don't think you should be judgemental of others, there are many circumstances in life that may not permit some one to excel like you did. Imagine if you would have gotten cancer, or imagine if your parents died when you where a child and you would of had a completely different upbringing, or what if you would have gotten a girl pregnant at 16?. These examples are obviously extremes but its just a illustration, just be thankful of your blessings and if you have the gift of making money thats props to you, but you should help the less fortunate it will do you good i promise.
Gold: 0.84
Apr 9 2015 02:26pm
OP: ultimate troll or delusional idiot? You be the judge.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 9 2015 02:36pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Apr 9 2015 03:29pm)

This needs to be stressed more. I have toxic friends who makes similar arguments that use these euphemisms in a back-handed and racist way. I tutor some at-risk students and athletes at my university, and I see the struggle and genuine want to succeed academically. A lot of them were told they won't amount to anything (but they were lucky enough to be admitted based on sports).

Huge things to consider when assuming that everyone who isn't successful is lazy: Not everyone is white. Not everyone has a car (deal breaker for many jobs). Not everyone has a family. Not everyone can get hired easily. The last three on this list are closely correlated to the first one.

Certainly having a random string of temp jobs while you look for other jobs looks suspicious on resumes and makes you even less hire-able.

As a journalist for a regional newspaper, tutor and full-time student, I could easily say, "you're lazy" to so many people because I worked hard and it ended up paying off.

But only delusional people assume hard work=success all the time, and this mindset is completely patronizing. For millions of people that equation has failed over and over, and the world can easily beat the ambition out of you.

This post was edited by CoheedAndCambria on Apr 9 2015 02:42pm
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Apr 9 2015 03:06pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Apr 9 2015 03:19pm)
Not everyone is wired the same. Just because your ambitious and successful doesn't mean that everyone can achieve that if they try hard enough thats a lie. I don't think you should be judgemental of others, there are many circumstances in life that may not permit some one to excel like you did. Imagine if you would have gotten cancer, or imagine if your parents died when you where a child and you would of had a completely different upbringing, or what if you would have gotten a girl pregnant at 16?. These examples are obviously extremes but its just a illustration, just be thankful of your blessings and if you have the gift of making money thats props to you, but you should help the less fortunate it will do you good i promise.

Extreme examples aren't what i'm talking about. I'm talking about the most common demographics on this site and among my peers. Healthy 20-28 year olds with the ability to live at home if they need to. Outside from that, you can do the rest yourself. Getting a car is easy as Coheed said in the last post. It's $2000 for a 2002 Toyota Camry that'll last you a couple years. Finance it and it's $80 a month tops even with crappy credit. Even if you can't live at home, go rent a room for a few hundred dollars a month. You can make that in 6 or 7 shifts at McDonalds.

For the average person, life is easy if you can drive yourself to success. The whole "not everyone is as ambitious, not everyone can succeed, not everyone can...." bullshit. that's just lazy.
Gold: 11,345.00
Apr 9 2015 03:33pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 9 2015 02:06pm)
Extreme examples aren't what i'm talking about. I'm talking about the most common demographics on this site and among my peers. Healthy 20-28 year olds with the ability to live at home if they need to. Outside from that, you can do the rest yourself. Getting a car is easy as Coheed said in the last post. It's $2000 for a 2002 Toyota Camry that'll last you a couple years. Finance it and it's $80 a month tops even with crappy credit. Even if you can't live at home, go rent a room for a few hundred dollars a month. You can make that in 6 or 7 shifts at McDonalds.

For the average person, life is easy if you can drive yourself to success. The whole "not everyone is as ambitious, not everyone can succeed, not everyone can...." bullshit. that's just lazy.

Whats your idea of an average person? thats such a broad term. I'm starting to think your just trolling at this point.You said your parents weren't rich so i guess by your logic they were just lazy? Success is not just about trying your bestest its a combination of intelligence ,hard work, circumstances, luck. Yeah many people can do enough to get by and have a Toyota and an OK life but your making a huge leap between the person that works at Mcdonalds and a successful person by your standards. Get a shit temporary job, get a shitty car...TA-DAHH make six figures like what?
Gold: 2,900.49
Apr 9 2015 03:58pm
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 9 2015 01:35pm)
Well, playing those odds(more likely), we could make a few judgments. Someone who is gay is more likely to dislike Christians, someone who is liberal is more likely to dislike Christians, someone who wears Che shirts is more likely to dislike Christians, etc.

I think having negative preconceptions about a group in your mind and disliking that group are two different things.

Also, I'm not sure why a belief system you disagree with causes you to dislike someone. I have many friends who believe in things completely opposite of what I do(especially the gay ones), and I'm able to have a relationship with them. Maybe you take your negative preconceptions to the next level, and you allow them to tarnish potential relationships you could be having with people. That's ignorance and exclusion, isn't it?

I'm also baffled as to why someone choosing not to have sex would bother you, lol.

Referring to the italicized, I imagine those statements are probably true. The difference here is that I'm honest enough to admit that and I don't feel the need to pretend like those groups, of which I am a part of, are somehow more tolerant than they actually are. It also makes sense that those people would dislike Christians because Christians try to politically affect their lives in a negative way because of religious dogma. If gay people set out to make heterosexual marriage illegal you'd probably dislike them too. Or dislike them more, rather.

Referring to the bold, one of my friends is a devout Christian (no sex before marriage, nothing) and he's a good person but good lord does he have a lot of ass-backwards beliefs. I don't dislike him, but I do dislike his faith/religion/whatever; but it's roughly equivalent to me disliking a sports team he might prefer, I don't take it out on him or anything.

And I've also explained this, if you read my response. You choose to be a Christian and act the way you do, and those things ought to be fair game for judgment in the same way that my choices and behavior ought to be. I try not and let them tarnish my relationship with them, but as I said, it is almost an immediate and unconscious bias I have against them, so it isn't like I want to feel that way and many times I end up liking those people despite that. I tend to be somewhat negative on first impression anyway, most of my closest friends now I felt were douches at the beginning lol.

Baffled as to how that would bother me? I feel like it is an unhealthy and unwise decision, personally.

Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 9 2015 09:06pm)

Not it's not.

This post was edited by Kamahl16 on Apr 9 2015 03:59pm
Gold: 0.00
Apr 9 2015 03:59pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ 9 Apr 2015 21:06)

If you don't have to pay rent then yea it's easy to save money. A lot of people don't get to live rent free into their mid twenties.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1131415161729Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll