d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The New Axis
Prev1131415161719Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 20,355.00
Sep 2 2024 02:58pm
Turkey wants in on BRICS

Turkey will be the first NATO member to request membership of the BRICS economic bloc spearheaded by the leaders of Russia and China, Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping, it has been reported.

Bloomberg said Monday that Ankara had formally asked to join the group of emerging market nations as it looks beyond its traditional Western allies. Newsweek has contacted the Turkish Foreign Ministry for comment.

One former Turkish diplomat has told Newsweek that the move has been driven by "accumulated frustrations" in Ankara with the West and the European Union. "This is not the strategy, by Ankara, to replace the West, but it's a strategy to strengthen relations with non-Western powers at a time when the U.S. hegemony is waning," said Sinan Ülgen, head of the Istanbul-based think tank EDAM.

https://www.newsweek.com/turkey-brics-nato-erdogan-putin-xi-1947517
Gold: 0.00
Sep 2 2024 03:19pm
This server sucks. Way too much PK'ing going on.
Gold: 4,404.67
Sep 2 2024 05:03pm

A casual 60% inflation rate. ^_^
I say let Putin and Xi have them.
Gold: 13.37
Sep 2 2024 05:23pm
At least it's not bombed out. Yet.
Gold: 100,701.50
Sep 5 2024 01:17pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Sep 3 2024 01:03am)
https://i.imgur.com/8sqYDTj.jpeg

https://tradingeconomics.com/turkey/government-debt-to-gdp

Government Debt to GDP in Turkey is expected to reach 40.00 percent of GDP by the end of 2024, according to Trading Economics global macro models and analysts expectations. In the long-term, the Turkey Government Debt to GDP is projected to trend around 39.00 percent of GDP in 2025, according to our econometric models.

I'm sure that EU countries can only dream of such a low debt to GDP ratio.

BTW check Russian debt to GDP it's like ~15%.
Sep 5 2024 01:58pm
Quote (Djunior @ 5 Sep 2024 21:17)
https://tradingeconomics.com/turkey/government-debt-to-gdp

I'm sure that EU countries can only dream of such a low debt to GDP ratio.

BTW check Russian debt to GDP it's like ~15%.

I'm sure the ordinary Turks who can't afford food anymore, or just saw their life savings evaporate, will find great solace in their country's debt to GDP ratio!
Sep 5 2024 02:36pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Sep 5 2024 09:58pm)
I'm sure the ordinary Turks who can't afford food anymore, or just saw their life savings evaporate, will find great solace in their country's debt to GDP ratio!

The situation is not as bad as you're trying to frame it. The high inflation is mostly caused by some bad decisions by Erdogan IIRC (which should be reversed) and like I pointed out debt to GDP is really low if you compare that to EU countries.

And a NATO country applying to BRICS is a massive embarrassment.
Sep 5 2024 03:44pm
Quote (Djunior @ 5 Sep 2024 22:36)
The situation is not as bad as you're trying to frame it. The high inflation is mostly caused by some bad decisions by Erdogan IIRC (which should be reversed) and like I pointed out debt to GDP is really low if you compare that to EU countries.

And a NATO country applying to BRICS is a massive embarrassment.

Debt to GDP ratio is a really esoteric metric. It only matters if the financial markets lose their trust in a country's ability to service its debt and interest payments. Before that point is hit, it's meaningless.
A high debt to GDP ratio with a strong, diversified economy and a strong currency is most definitely a more robust economic position to be in than being an emerging country with a one-trick pony economy and a shitty currency that no one else is interested in.

There is certainly an upper limit to how high the debt to GDP can get before things get dicey, but we haven't really hit that point yet in the first world nations. The Americans and the EU also have the benefit that their currencies are reserve currencies. Institutional investors from the rest of the world could shun the USD or the EUR, but realistically they can't eschew both at the same time. Where else would they go? The British pound, which has all the same drawbacks, just more vulnerable with a smaller underlying economy? The Swiss franc which is based on a country with less than 10 million people? Would they trust any South American currency? The Japanese yen which is being inflated away by the Bank of Japan? Russian rubles or Iranian rial? :lol:

The only possible alternative is the Chinese yuan, which is not a free-floating currency; its course is determined by the central bank according to the orders of the CCP, i.e. out of political, rather than economic reasons. Shit would need to hit the fan dramatically in the US or the EU before the third countries would rather trust their money to Xi.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Sep 5 2024 03:46pm
Sep 5 2024 10:49pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Sep 5 2024 11:44pm)
Debt to GDP ratio is a really esoteric metric. It only matters if the financial markets lose their trust in a country's ability to service its debt and interest payments. Before that point is hit, it's meaningless.
A high debt to GDP ratio with a strong, diversified economy and a strong currency is most definitely a more robust economic position to be in than being an emerging country with a one-trick pony economy and a shitty currency that no one else is interested in.

There is certainly an upper limit to how high the debt to GDP can get before things get dicey, but we haven't really hit that point yet in the first world nations. The Americans and the EU also have the benefit that their currencies are reserve currencies. Institutional investors from the rest of the world could shun the USD or the EUR, but realistically they can't eschew both at the same time. Where else would they go? The British pound, which has all the same drawbacks, just more vulnerable with a smaller underlying economy? The Swiss franc which is based on a country with less than 10 million people? Would they trust any South American currency? The Japanese yen which is being inflated away by the Bank of Japan? Russian rubles or Iranian rial? :lol:

The only possible alternative is the Chinese yuan, which is not a free-floating currency; its course is determined by the central bank according to the orders of the CCP, i.e. out of political, rather than economic reasons. Shit would need to hit the fan dramatically in the US or the EU before the third countries would rather trust their money to Xi.

Like in Greece? We've all seen how quickly they went down the drain despite being an EU country and only a massive bailout effort prevented disaster, money that will most likely never be repaid :thumbsup:

So much for "superior" EU countries, lol

Are you aware that China is dumping US treasuries and Saudi Arabia is now also a BRICS member? (SA owns a large chunk of US debt)

Lastly, wait till the West doubles down (in desperation) and steals those frozen Russian assets then lets see if other countries still trust the arrogant and deceitful West. Xi could be doing a roaring business when that happens.
Gold: 48,640.00
Sep 5 2024 11:25pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 3 Sep 2024 07:03)
https://i.imgur.com/8sqYDTj.jpeg

I think you are slowly starting to go through the Seven stages of Grief now...
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1131415161719Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll