d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing Week
Prev1136137138139140443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 14,125.00
Sep 23 2018 09:38pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Sep 23 2018 08:31pm)
Is there enough time to ram Barrett through? Would the GOP confirm someone during the lame-duck session?

What's wrong with pushing Kavanaugh through now? Does the GOP really have anything to lose in doing so?

Optics at this point. Longer the circus drags out= longer negative coverage and being branded the party that defends sexual assault. Just pushing him, would give them fuel for the midterms.

Don't see many people talking about it, but what's the probability that Kavanaugh quickly drops and Trump just pushes the next man up on his list. Would really undercut the Democrats imo.

In b4 this happens and once again sexual assault/racism/sexism accusations magically appear against the other nominee, would be comical.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Sep 23 2018 09:39pm
Gold: 22,164.69
Sep 23 2018 09:38pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Sep 23 2018 09:31pm)
Is there enough time to ram Barrett through? Would the GOP confirm someone during the lame-duck session?

What's wrong with pushing Kavanaugh through now? Does the GOP really have anything to lose in doing so?

Votes
Gold: 14,949.00
Sep 23 2018 09:44pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Sep 22 2018 08:37pm)
Only one was your girlfriend and she was soaking wet. She thanked me afterward, asked me to sleep over, texted me within 5 minutes of leaving your house, etc.

Guild: God Is Enough

Nice Christian guild.
Makes sense that this type of stuff comes from you.
Typical.
Gold: 2,620.00
Sep 23 2018 09:50pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 23 Sep 2018 22:38)
Optics at this point. Longer the circus drags out= longer negative coverage and being branded the party that defends sexual assault. Just pushing him, would give them fuel for the midterms.

Don't see many people talking about it, but what's the probability that Kavanaugh quickly drops and Trump just pushes the next man up on his list. Would really undercut the Democrats imo.

In b4 this happens and once again sexual assault/racism/sexism accusations magically appear against the other nominee, would be comical.

It takes months for a SCOTUS justice to be confirmed. Trump nominated Kavanaugh in early July.

If Kavanaugh drops out, the GOP would have to confirm someone during the lame-duck session...or more likely with the 116th Congress.

Quote (Goomshill @ 23 Sep 2018 22:38)
Votes

You think ramming through Kavanaugh costs the GOP votes? Really?

If anything, wouldn't filling the seat help them? Another big selling point for Trump, and leaving the seat open could motivate an already enthusiastic Democratic base even more, in my opinion.

I think the GOP's best strategy is to fill the seat now. Fuck optics. You can't risk leaving this seat open for the Democrats to block, no matter how small that chance is.
Gold: 10,485.00
Sep 23 2018 10:18pm

I think these new accusation(s) will push Collins to the "confirm Kavanaugh" side. Especially since Avenatti had a hand in it.
I can just see this old adage running through Collins mind: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

We're talking drunk high school crap. I think the ONLY mistake the SJC made was to give ANY credence to Ford.
Gold: 21.93
Sep 24 2018 01:13am
Quote (Ghot @ Sep 24 2018 03:18pm)
I think these new accusation(s) will push Collins to the "confirm Kavanaugh" side. Especially since Avenatti had a hand in it.
I can just see this old adage running through Collins mind: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

We're talking drunk high school crap. I think the ONLY mistake the SJC made was to give ANY credence to Ford.

Why do you think rape is ok for high schoolers?
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 40%
Sep 24 2018 01:29am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Sep 23 2018 11:13pm)

Free job experience
Sep 24 2018 01:52am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Sep 24 2018 03:13am)

It wasn't rape, even by Ford's account. But you just keep making it out to be worse than it was, that's the way to be objective.

Here's a little story from my past...

When I was about 13-ish me and Brian and Cathy, we grew up together... were in the front yard playing pirates. Ofc when me and Brian, the pirates, came across the nubile young maiden, Cathy, we captured her. We were pirates, and that's what pirates do.
Ofc, Cathy didn't want to be captured so we had to tie her to the mast (which was a tree in the front yard). Ofc, she called for help so we had to gag her.

This was all in fun with everyone's consent. BUT... let's say Brian or I was about to appointed to a seat on the SC, and Cathy (who in this imagining, was a died in the wool lefty), didn't want another conservative on the SC.
It's fairly obvious that something totally harmless from our past, could be dressed up to look, dastardly.

This is my point. They were high school kids. We have no clue wtf happened. We have a decent judge for all we know, who's character is being assassinated, for political reasons.

Side note: Cathy the nubile young maiden fell in love with one of us, 10 minutes after capture, and was released. Happy ending.

But that was THEN. Let's say over the years Cathy turned into some wacko, feminist, metoo, lefty with no morals.... I think we can all see the damage she could do, by simply spinning a tale from her childhood into something nefarious.

So Mr. Plague, please keep your nefarious spins to yourself. While you're doing that, maybe ask yourself why you have such a dislike for anything that's US conservative, when you don't even live here.
Is Trump attacking Australia and we just haven't heard about it?
Gold: 21.93
Sep 24 2018 02:09am
Quote (Ghot @ Sep 24 2018 06:52pm)
It wasn't rape, even by Ford's account. But you just keep making it out to be worse than it was, that's the way to be objective.

Here's a little story from my past...

When I was about 13-ish me and Brian and Cathy, we grew up together... were in the front yard playing pirates. Ofc when me and Brian, the pirates, came across the nubile young maiden, Cathy, we captured her. We were pirates, and that's what pirates do.
Ofc, Cathy didn't want to be captured so we had to tie her to the mast (which was a tree in the front yard). Ofc, she called for help so we had to gag her.

This was all in fun with everyone's consent. BUT... let's say Brian or I was about to appointed to a seat on the SC, and Cathy (who in this imagining, was a died in the wool lefty), didn't want another conservative on the SC.
It's fairly obvious that something totally harmless from our past, could be dressed up to look, dastardly.

This is my point. They were high school kids. We have no clue wtf happened. We have a decent judge for all we know, who's character is being assassinated, for political reasons.

Side note: Cathy the nubile young maiden fell in love with one of us, 10 minutes after capture, and was released. Happy ending.

But that was THEN. Let's say over the years Cathy turned into some wacko, feminist, metoo, lefty with no morals.... I think we can all see the damage she could do, by simply spinning a tale from her childhood into something nefarious.

So Mr. Plague, please keep your nefarious spins to yourself. While you're doing that, maybe ask yourself why you have such a dislike for anything that's US conservative, when you don't even live here.
Is Trump attacking Australia and we just haven't heard about it?

My bad i thought you said
Quote (Ghot @ Sep 24 2018 11:36am)
Again...same crap. The time to say no was BEFORE they went to the party. This is just more BS. What are we up to... #mefour?

Sep 24 2018 04:47am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Sep 24 2018 04:09am)
My bad i thought you said

I did. Unless things have changed since I went to junior high and high school, it's pretty much a "take your chances" situation.
I mean you're going to a party and you know you're gonna get drunk, and you expect Marquis of Queensbury rules? That's just naive bordering on stupid.

It's not like you're signing over your right to life or anything, but if you drink past the point where you are aware...then don't expect to wake up with no drawings on your face in permanent marker... or worse.

Expecting drunk boys to act like gentlemen or drunk girls to act like ladies...is just stupid. The point is, when you agree to attend one of these... you are pretty much giving your consent to a whole host of happenings.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1136137138139140443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll