d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Joe Biden 2020 Thread
Prev11351361371381391035Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 14 2020 12:49pm
Quote (Skinned @ 14 Jul 2020 20:37)
Americans form governments and then have elections to pick which government, And the spoils system dictates that there is no power sharing or working together.

European systems have elections and then form governments out of the winners which often forces different parties to work together and share power.

Its very different.

The entire construction of the US Senate, with the filibuster and a required 60 votes supermajority for cloture, is designed to foster bipartisan cooperation. And back in a less polarized time, when Congresspeople of both parties didnt vote as a monolithic bloc yet, it was also far from guaranteed that the party holding the majority of House seats could ram any legislation through this chamber either.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 14 2020 12:50pm
Gold: 285.00
Jul 14 2020 01:01pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 14 2020 02:49pm)
The entire construction of the US Senate, with the filibuster and a required 60 votes supermajority for cloture, is designed to foster bipartisan cooperation. And back in a less polarized time, when Congresspeople of both parties didnt vote as a monolithic bloc yet, it was also far from guaranteed that the party holding the majority of House seats could ram any legislation through this chamber either.

The senate is where bills are supposed to stew after being created by reactive house representatives is how my Constitution professor put it.
Gold: 12,407.00
Jul 14 2020 01:22pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 14 2020 02:49pm)

It's crazy to me how some of you guys know so much about american politics. I know like nothing about German, English or whatever other countries politics.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you stay so informed on US politics?
Gold: 12,730.67
Jul 14 2020 01:26pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 14 2020 12:22pm)
It's crazy to me how some of you guys know so much about american politics. I know like nothing about German, English or whatever other countries politics.

Because we're number fucking 1 BITCH!!!!!!!!!
Gold: 285.00
Jul 14 2020 01:28pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 14 2020 03:22pm)

I'm sure they have intro to government and international politics just like we have in high school and lower level college classes.

Also the superpower that elects a reality television star as president will get a lot of attention lol. We took the role of international jester for four years.

This post was edited by Skinned on Jul 14 2020 01:28pm
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Jul 14 2020 01:57pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 14 Jul 2020 21:22)

i explained it in this post: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=67278491&f=119&p=560948947

i guarantee you, if the netherlands had a president who tore up crucial international agreements just because they hated their predecessor, if they committed war crimes all over the world, unilaterally imposed tariffs on goods because they didn't know how trade balances work, tried to ban certain countries and religions from traveling there, you would.

i mean, obviously the US, as the largest western economy, former leader of the so called "free world", and military hegemon, had an additional focus on their politics for many decades, as it directly impacts european trade and foreign policy like no other single country, so there is your 'historical reason'. also, europeans are, generally speaking, more curious about what's going on beyond their own country's borders.

furthermore, it's not quite as 'wild' as you may think, because while most europeans that aren't far-right bigots themselves are well aware of what a mess trump is, they are NOT as aware of american politics as the euros you encounter here.
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 14 2020 01:58pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 14 Jul 2020 21:22)

I'm just a nerd I guess...

Also... the United States have been, and continue to be to this day, the political and ideological vanguard of the entire Western world. All the political and lifestyle trends, all the battles about ideology and specific policy that are fought in the U.S. are sooner or later also appearing here in Europe/Germany.

I used to only tune in to US politics to this degree quadrennially, in election years. After 2016, I stayed more tuned in because of Trump, but probably also because of my personal situation, having more downtime while I'm working that has to be filled with something I can do in a webbrowser on my PC. Reading up on politics and shitposting here on PaRD fits my current situation very well. ;)
Gold: 3.33
Jul 14 2020 02:22pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 14 2020 08:22pm)

I find it weird too. I'm not really that interested or knowledgeable in US politics which is why I don't relate to most threads that are US-centric.

It's partly because nobody has the knowledge to engage them in their domestic politics on here, and partly because from the European perspective the US is incredibly bizzare politically.
Gold: 3.33
Jul 14 2020 02:24pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 14 2020 08:58pm)
I'm just a nerd I guess...

Also... the United States have been, and continue to be to this day, the political and ideological vanguard of the entire Western world. All the political and lifestyle trends, all the battles about ideology and specific policy that are fought in the U.S. are sooner or later also appearing here in Europe/Germany.

I used to only tune in to US politics to this degree quadrennially, in election years. After 2016, I stayed more tuned in because of Trump, but probably also because of my personal situation, having more downtime while I'm working that has to be filled with something I can do in a webbrowser on my PC. Reading up on politics and shitposting here on PaRD fits my current situation very well. ;)

Disagree with the bolded. I think it's the opposite, that we're ahead and see the same stuff happen there later.
Gold: 2,504.69
Jul 14 2020 02:26pm
fuck yes, i finally got this to not send me push notifications.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev11351361371381391035Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll