d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing Week
Prev1135136137138139443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,617.52
Sep 23 2018 08:03pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Sep 23 2018 09:54pm)
Ramming things through without consent seems to be the Republican way to do things anyway

Republicans invented consent before democrats destroyed it by calling happily married families "puritans"
Gold: 2,620.00
Sep 23 2018 08:34pm
Ronan Farrow co-authored this piece. Same dude who brought down Weinstein, Eric Schneiderman, and Les Moonves. He wouldn't put his name behind this allegation unless he thought there was merit to it.

The GOP's best bet is probably to ram Kavanaugh through. They can't really afford to give a rabid Democratic base anymore motivation to take the Senate. Regardless of what comes out in these coming days, it's in their agenda's best interest short and long-term to push him through as soon as possible. How many supporters would they realistically lose by doing that?
Gold: 28,296.75
Sep 23 2018 08:36pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Sep 23 2018 07:34pm)
Ronan Farrow co-authored this piece. Same dude who brought down Weinstein, Eric Schneiderman, and Les Moonves. He wouldn't put his name behind this allegation unless he thought there was merit to it.

The GOP's best bet is probably to ram Kavanaugh through. They can't really afford to give a rabid Democratic base anymore motivation to take the Senate. Regardless of what comes out in these coming days, it's in their agenda's best interest short and long-term to push him through as soon as possible. How many supporters would they realistically lose by doing that?

not many of their elderly male only base
Sep 23 2018 08:39pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Sep 23 2018 10:34pm)

They would gain some supporters by showing they dont cave to typical Democrat scare tactics.
Gold: 5,016.77
Sep 23 2018 08:43pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Sep 23 2018 09:34pm)

They won't be able to push him through anymore without airing out all these accusations.

Bold prediction: Kavanaugh drops out before Thursday.

This post was edited by IceMage on Sep 23 2018 08:43pm
Sep 23 2018 08:45pm
Both accusations have connections to Soros, big surprise.
Sep 23 2018 08:50pm
Quote (IceMage @ 23 Sep 2018 21:43)
They won't be able to push him through anymore without airing out all these accusations.

You think Collins and Murkowski will place a temporary hold? I could see that. For a week or two. All I think this recent allegation does is just push back his confirmation a few weeks.

It's certainly a huge loss for the GOP in terms of optics. One of the last things they wanted was for this to drag out any longer. But my gut instinct is that he still gets in. Either Murkowski or Collins caves and Pence breaks the tie.

Even if he drops out, I see the GOP picking and confirming someone in the lame duck period regardless of who takes control of the Senate.
Gold: 22,164.69
Sep 23 2018 09:05pm
Quote (IceMage @ Sep 23 2018 08:43pm)

Bold prediction: Kavanaugh drops out before Thursday.

Not a very bold prediction with Amy Barrett still in the cards, but the weakness of these allegations plunges us into some pretty uncharted territory. Republicans could have simply plowed through one baloney accusation, but even if the next two accusations are either complete fabulations or don't even pass the smell test, they could easily nuke kavanaugh just through the novel gish gallop of sex assault accusations.

The last two push it into pretty absurd territory. The first was a he-said-she-said of something pretty dubious to begin with, but this latest one is "He stuck his penis in my face, except I never actually saw him do it, and I wasn't sure it was him at the time, or last week, but now I'm suddenly sure it was him" which would set off alarm bells in the most inattentive of people. And the "he participated in gang rapes" just blows it into sure-that-happened territory.

I think its pretty scary the prospect of the scenario where democrats did indeed arrange, urge on or otherwise orchestrate false accusations purely as a political gambit.

This post was edited by Goomshill on Sep 23 2018 09:06pm
Gold: 475.46
Sep 23 2018 09:20pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Sep 23 2018 07:45pm)
Both accusations have connections to Soros, big surprise.

<_<
Sep 23 2018 09:31pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 23 Sep 2018 22:05)
Not a very bold prediction with Amy Barrett still in the cards, but the weakness of these allegations plunges us into some pretty uncharted territory. Republicans could have simply plowed through one baloney accusation, but even if the next two accusations are either complete fabulations or don't even pass the smell test, they could easily nuke kavanaugh just through the novel gish gallop of sex assault accusations.

The last two push it into pretty absurd territory. The first was a he-said-she-said of something pretty dubious to begin with, but this latest one is "He stuck his penis in my face, except I never actually saw him do it, and I wasn't sure it was him at the time, or last week, but now I'm suddenly sure it was him" which would set off alarm bells in the most inattentive of people. And the "he participated in gang rapes" just blows it into sure-that-happened territory.

I think its pretty scary the prospect of the scenario where democrats did indeed arrange, urge on or otherwise orchestrate false accusations purely as a political gambit.

Is there enough time to ram Barrett through? Would the GOP confirm someone during the lame-duck session?

What's wrong with pushing Kavanaugh through now? Does the GOP really have anything to lose in doing so?

This post was edited by ThatAlex on Sep 23 2018 09:32pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1135136137138139443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll