d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Joe Biden 2020 Thread
Prev11321331341351361036Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,016.77
Jul 13 2020 06:50pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 13 2020 08:32pm)
Meh. As long as Trump keeps self-destructing, nobody cares about those Biden nothingburgers.

Btw, are you even aware that Reagan was the first politician to popularize the "Make America Great Again" slogan, not Trump?

Ghot's not one to focus on irrelevant issues like facts and history.
Gold: 57.00
Jul 13 2020 06:54pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 13 Jul 2020 20:32)
Meh. As long as Trump keeps self-destructing, nobody cares about those Biden nothingburgers.

Btw, are you even aware that Reagan was the first politician to popularize the "Make America Great Again" slogan, not Trump?

slogan aside, Biden just last week proposed bringing back manufacturing jobs to America as part of his platform. LOL

he was all for NAFTA during his time as a senate swamp demon and was a genuine supporter of TPP as VP, which both Trump and Barnie were firmly and rightly against

This post was edited by excellence on Jul 13 2020 06:57pm
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 13 2020 06:59pm
Quote (excellence @ 14 Jul 2020 02:54)
slogan aside Biden proposed bringing back manufacturing jobs to America as part of his platform

he was all for NAFTA during his time as a senate swamp demon and was a genuine supporter of TPP as VP, which both Trump and Barnie were firmly and rightly against

It's pretty irrelevant which positions Biden supported in the past. The dude has always been an unideological opportunist who adjusts his positions to the mainstream of his party at the respective time. Throughout his 40+ years career in politics, he's always positioned himself near the ideological center of the Democratic party. In the 90s, this meant being tough on crime and thinking unrestrained free trade was the recipe for a golden future. In 2020, it means being increasingly "woke", supporting an incremental expansion of Obamacare and being somewhat wary of free trade agreements.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 13 2020 07:00pm
Gold: 12,730.67
Jul 13 2020 07:06pm
Quote (excellence @ Jul 13 2020 05:54pm)
slogan aside, Biden just last week proposed bringing back manufacturing jobs to America as part of his platform. LOL

The lack of TPP made China stronger. Fucking those chink ass bastards.

Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 13 2020 05:59pm)
It's pretty irrelevant which positions Biden supported in the past. The dude has always been an unideological opportunist who adjusts his positions to the mainstream of his party at the respective time. Throughout his 40+ years career in politics, he's always positioned himself near the ideological center of the Democratic party. In the 90s, this meant being tough on crime and thinking unrestrained free trade was the recipe for a golden future. In 2020, it means being increasingly "woke", supporting an incremental expansion of Obamacare and being somewhat wary of free trade agreements.

IMO, this is a good thing. As the zeitgeist changes, you need to adapt if you want to continue representing people.
Gold: 57.00
Jul 13 2020 07:08pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 13 Jul 2020 20:59)

no

he used legislative power to force the incarceration of tens of thousands minorities unfairly each year, ship our young men and women off to die in endless no-win wars, and expel millons of jobs from our shores.

his behavior pattern as an elected official is 100% relevant when he’s running again to “fix things” that he helped break over and over again for 40+ years
Jul 13 2020 07:13pm
Quote (thundercock @ 14 Jul 2020 03:06)
IMO, this is a good thing. As the zeitgeist changes, you need to adapt if you want to continue representing people.

True leaders don't follow the zeitgeist, they shape and steer it.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 13 2020 07:14pm
Jul 13 2020 07:32pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 13 2020 06:13pm)
True leaders don't follow the zeitgeist, they shape and steer it.

I think it really depends on the position of leadership. A legislature, IMO, should be largely reactive. Biden running as President is very different than Biden running as a Senator. I think you're right that Biden has to "lead" when it comes to healing the country. That's going to be his legacy if he's elected...righting (or failing to right) the ship.
Gold: 13,586.00
Jul 13 2020 07:52pm
Quote (thundercock @ Jul 13 2020 09:06pm)
The lack of TPP made China stronger. Fucking those chink ass bastards.

Not really.

Politicians bullshitting and shifting positions all of their life to stay in power isn't a good thing. If you say you're going to try do xyz, and then elected and no longer find it expedient to fulfill the platform that got you in there, then you don't deserve third, fourth, fifth chances.

I also think there should be limits on how long members of congress can serve. 10-12 years maybe?

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jul 13 2020 07:52pm
Jul 13 2020 08:03pm
Quote (thundercock @ 14 Jul 2020 03:32)
I think it really depends on the position of leadership. A legislature, IMO, should be largely reactive. Biden running as President is very different than Biden running as a Senator. I think you're right that Biden has to "lead" when it comes to healing the country. That's going to be his legacy if he's elected...righting (or failing to right) the ship.

I'm just afraid that a weak, old, slightly senile Biden will not provide much leadership and instead just serve as the enabler and door-opener for far-left lunacy. Sure, he's doing a good job distancing himself from policies like defund the police or abolish ICE right now, while on the campaign trail. I'm not convinced that he will hold those lines once elected. And needless to say that the more radical members of his own party are themselves not interested in compromise or healing the country, they too want to crush the opposition and defeat them once and for all.
Jul 13 2020 08:08pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 13 2020 06:52pm)
Not really.

Politicians bullshitting and shifting positions all of their life to stay in power isn't a good thing. If you say you're going to try do xyz, and then elected and no longer find it expedient to fulfill the platform that got you in there, then you don't deserve third, fourth, fifth chances.

I also think there should be limits on how long members of congress can serve. 10-12 years maybe?

That just increases the power of lobbyists unfortunately.

To me, representatives and senators are supposed to represent their constituents. I know MY interests change as I age so I don't think it's that unreasonable for politicians to do the same thing since they should reflect the will of their constituents. I think if a politician is genuinely fucking up in that regard, then they will be primaried/lose a general election. Ultimately, WE are the check on them.

Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 13 2020 07:03pm)
I'm just afraid that a weak, old, slightly senile Biden will not provide much leadership and instead just serve as the enabler and door-opener for far-left lunacy. Sure, he's doing a good job distancing himself from policies like defund the police or abolish ICE right now, while on the campaign trail. I'm not convinced that he will hold those lines once elected. And needless to say that the more radical members of his own party are themselves not interested in compromise or healing the country, they too want to crush the opposition and defeat them once and for all.

I'm not sure about that, he's pretty old school. Biden is very much an institutionalist so I'd be genuinely shocked if he was an enabler. His entire career has been devoted to forming consensus among various communities.

This post was edited by thundercock on Jul 13 2020 08:12pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev11321331341351361036Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll