d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing Week
Prev1130131132133134443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,485.00
Sep 23 2018 04:02pm

Accuser of Trump's Supreme Court nominee to testify on Thursday

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-kavanaugh/accuser-of-trumps-supreme-court-nominee-to-testify-on-thursday-idUSKCN1M30QN

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The university professor who has accused Brett Kavanaugh, President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, of sexual assault will testify before a Senate panel on Thursday about her allegation, her lawyers and the committee said on Sunday.

There are, however, unresolved procedural and logistical issues, Ford’s lawyers said, including whether the Judiciary Committee’s Republican senators, who are all male, or staff attorneys would question her. Ford’s lawyers said “various senators have been dismissive of her account and should have to shoulder their responsibility to ask her questions.”

Kavanaugh, who has called the allegation “completely false,” also has agreed to testify at the hearing planned for 10 a.m. (1400 GMT) on Thursday.

A Republican member of the Judiciary Committee, Senator Lindsey Graham, said Grassley “bent over backwards” to make the hearing happen. Speaking on “Fox News Sunday,” Graham said Ford’s lawyer had set 10 conditions and “we accepted six.”

Well, it looks like it MAY happen. Keep in mind that the SC reconvenes on Monday October 1st, 7.5 days from now.
With all the conflicting accounts of her story and the refusal of the witnesses to appear or vouch for Ford, I can only assume they are trying for another 4 days of optics.

Apparently, there is also busloads of people descending on DC to protest "something" about the Ford/Kavanaugh issue, on Monday... etc.
Gold: 4,404.67
Sep 23 2018 04:10pm
quick question: if kavanaugh isnt sworn in until the new term of the supreme court, and gets sworn in a few days later, would he still miss the entire term?
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Sep 23 2018 04:12pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Sep 23 2018 06:10pm)
quick question: if kavanaugh isnt sworn in until the new term of the supreme court, and gets sworn in a few days later, would he still miss the entire term?

even if so, it's a small price to pay for effectively stealing a SCOTUS seat from Obama. Take the win.
Sep 23 2018 04:14pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Sep 23 2018 06:10pm)

I dunno. If they have the hearing Thursday that still gives them Friday to vote to seat Kavanaugh by Monday.

The protesters are probably fat feminists sent by the left to do w/e they can to stir up trouble. Fortunately for Kavanaugh and the right, we are going into 4 days of rain. :)

/e

2) October 1: The Supreme Court begins its next term: The ostensible reason for moving right along with Kavanaugh’s nomination and confirmation was to make sure the Supreme Court had its full complement of nine Justices when its next term begins on October 1. Justice Kennedy is on “senior status,” and is still available for part-time duty on lower federal courts, but he’s gone for good from SCOTUS.

If no one has been confirmed by October 1, which is beginning to look more and more likely, then the Court will convene with just eight justices, and more importantly, with the conservative and liberal “blocs” on the Court deadlocked with four justices each. Yes, a subsequently confirmed justice can ascend to the bench the moment she or he is cleared by the Senate. But the new justice will typically not vote on cases in which oral arguments were heard in their absence. So the longer the ninth justice is missing, the more it affects the Court’s work. The period between Justice Antonin Scalia’s death in February of 2016 and Justice Neil Gorsuch’s confirmation in April of 2017 shows how this can be a significant issue in big cases that expose divisions on the Court.

This post was edited by Ghot on Sep 23 2018 04:17pm
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Sep 23 2018 04:16pm
Quote (Ghot @ Sep 23 2018 06:14pm)
I dunno. If they have the hearing Thursday that still gives them Friday to vote to seat Kavanaugh by Monday.

The protesters are probably fat feminists sent by the left to do w/e they can to stir up trouble. Fortunately for Kavanaugh and the right, we are going into 4 days of rain. :)

l o l
Gold: 28,296.75
Sep 23 2018 04:16pm
Quote (Ghot @ Sep 23 2018 03:02pm)
Accuser of Trump's Supreme Court nominee to testify on Thursday

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-kavanaugh/accuser-of-trumps-supreme-court-nominee-to-testify-on-thursday-idUSKCN1M30QN

Well, it looks like it MAY happen. Keep in mind that the SC reconvenes on Monday October 1st, 7.5 days from now.
With all the conflicting accounts of her story and the refusal of the witnesses to appear or vouch for Ford, I can only assume they are trying for another 4 days of optics.

Apparently, there is also busloads of people descending on DC to protest "something" about the Ford/Kavanaugh issue, on Monday... etc.

lol republicans once again show they are weak behind the growls

thursday? Ford and her team are running right over them
Sep 23 2018 04:18pm

See my edit in post #1314.
Gold: 0.00
Sep 23 2018 04:19pm
Quote (Horford @ Sep 23 2018 04:12pm)
even if so, it's a small price to pay for effectively stealing a SCOTUS seat from Obama. Take the win.

Majority rejecting SCOTUS nominee does not = stealing. This line of thought is played out and annoying.
Gold: 21.93
Sep 23 2018 04:21pm
Quote (krackprophet @ Sep 24 2018 09:19am)
Majority rejecting SCOTUS nominee does not = stealing. This line of thought is played out and annoying.

Or they could get over the partisan bullshit and do their jobs.
Gold: 28,296.75
Sep 23 2018 04:21pm
Quote (Ghot @ Sep 23 2018 03:18pm)
See my edit in post #1314.

goom covered it a while back

Quote (Goomshill @ Sep 21 2018 06:00am)
So Kavanaugh's accuser rejected testifying on Monday and proposed testifying on Thursday.
I'm not an expert on esoteric senate rules and protocols, and I haven't read any detailed reporting on how it works yet, but I know that Kavanaugh has to be confirmed by the end of the week to be seated for oral arguments in the next SCOTUS term starting October 1st, a week from monday. So I am assuming that with Thursday hearings, it would be impossible to confirm Kavanaugh by the end of the senate's week. I don't know, are they in session friday? How much can democrats delay motions- the pick is still in the judiciary committee and has to go up for a full senate vote this week. I'm just assuming that with thursday testimony, it would delay kavanaugh that crucial week that prevents him from voting on cases this fall.

If that's true, then the bullshit-o-meter jumped from 11/10 to 20/10. How can democrats even maintain a fig leaf of pretense that the accuser is in good faith when they're engaging in such blatant delaying tactics to influence the court?

actually surprised she got Thursday

shit is real interesting and close now
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1130131132133134443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll