d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Iran Boogaloo
Prev1121314151683Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,504.69
Jan 3 2020 03:33pm
Quote (fender @ Jan 3 2020 03:29pm)
the question is: what do you base that on, in order to come to your conclusion the deal wasn't even decent? what we know, from both the expectations prior to the negotiations as well as its reception after being signed, is that it was celebrated by the international community and foreign policy experts as a diplomatic masterpiece, and that iran's concessions were so extensive that they drew severe criticism, even death threats, from iranian hardliners. the people that are criticising it from the other side are mostly israeli and american hawks, who would rather see a military conflict than a reasonable diplomatic solution - that's why i was surprised to see you share that take, and wondered where you were coming from. my guess that it's simply an easy sacrifice to make in order to appear 'centrist' is really the most charitable interpretation i could come up with given the context.

so if your argument, that a deal isn't even decent if someone doesn't get "literally every last bit of concession humanly possible" (which obama actually might have achieved in this case, at the very least he was damn close), is just an exercise so you won't have to admit you're wrong on this, all i can say is that it's petty and entirely unnecessary - at the end of the day, you can always call it a matter of opinion, which makes it technically impossible to be wrong on this. all i'm saying is that you haven't provided any reasonably convincing arguments to back that up - at least from my perspective. at the end of the day, facts should be more important than ego - especially considering what trump's confrontational diplomacy with iran has lead us towards.

concerning the second part, the iaea is not the "intel community", and the signing of the treaty just started their regular controls and diligent supervision of iran, so let's please not act like this was purely based on trust and empty words.
imo, there is no deal that can 100% prevent a dirty bomb from being set off - what it can do, however, is put a de facto hold to a country's nuclear arms program (which it did), incentivise cooperation and de-escalation (which it did) and thus lead to a normalisation of relations that would significantly decrease the likelihood of state sponsored dirty bombs being set off in random cities (which it would have). and again, keep in mind that we're talking about realistically achievable outcomes that require all parties to cooperate, not wishful thinking, in which NO country (including america) has (dirty) bombs and commits atrocities in other countries.

except of course you assume that all the smart people on the table simply completely forgot about the possibility of that, and forgot to include a provision that would have eliminated that possibility - in that case i would agree that the deal was objectively bad...

just as a general observation i find it interesting that a word like "decent" can spiral into fair long winded conversations with you. like i realize that there's more in this back and forth, but you keep circling back to "decent", when i was just speaking off the cuff.

anyways, im logging off for the weekend. hopefully we're not overly committed with troops by monday when i return.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Jan 3 2020 03:55pm
Quote (thesnipa @ 3 Jan 2020 22:33)
just as a general observation i find it interesting that a word like "decent" can spiral into fair long winded conversations with you. like i realize that there's more in this back and forth, but you keep circling back to "decent", when i was just speaking off the cuff.

anyways, im logging off for the weekend. hopefully we're not overly committed with troops by monday when i return.

while words certainly matter, this is very much more than pure semantics, no matter how hard you're trying to MAKE it about that.
i really don't care what exactly you describe it as: 'not even decent' / 'outright bad' / 'poorly negotiated'... - the gist of it is that you think it wasn't a good deal, whereas i share the opinion of most experts on this topic, considering it a truly remarkable piece of diplomacy, achieving more than any reasonable and realistic person could have expected. and again, so far you haven't made a convincing argument to me that supports your evaluation. feel free to think about it for a second during what i hope to be a relaxing weekend for you. that said, i share your hopes, but i'm not too optimistic tbh.
Gold: 2,617.52
Jan 3 2020 03:59pm
The world war three memes are amazing.
Gold: 83.30
Jan 3 2020 04:20pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Jan 3 2020 10:59pm)
The world war three memes are amazing.

Gold: 41.93
Jan 3 2020 04:47pm
Remember when america attacked iraq and afghanistan after a bunch of saudi arabians performed the 9/11 attack?
Pepperidge farm remembers.
Gold: 12,730.67
Jan 3 2020 04:53pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ Jan 3 2020 02:47pm)
Remember when america attacked iraq and afghanistan after a bunch of saudi arabians performed the 9/11 attack?
Pepperidge farm remembers.

Iraq I'll give you. Afghanistan though? The nationality of the attackers isn't particularly relevant.
Jan 3 2020 05:01pm
Quote (thundercock @ Jan 4 2020 09:53am)
Iraq I'll give you. Afghanistan though? The nationality of the attackers isn't particularly relevant.

Bin ladin was saudi. all of his men were saudi, saudi arabians were pretty stoked by the attack.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Jan 3 2020 05:11pm
Quote (balrog66 @ 3 Jan 2020 23:20)

Gold: 12,730.67
Jan 3 2020 05:51pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ Jan 3 2020 03:01pm)
Bin ladin was saudi. all of his men were saudi, saudi arabians were pretty stoked by the attack.

And? They trained and operated in Afghanistan. If a bunch of Aussies trained in Israel and then killed a bunch of Muslims in Yeman, should Yemen go to war with Australia? Of course not. There's no doubt that the Saudis were partially involved with 9/11 but Afghanistan flat out allowed Al-Qaeda to operate without repercussions.
Jan 3 2020 06:17pm
Quote (thundercock @ Jan 4 2020 10:51am)
And? They trained and operated in Afghanistan. If a bunch of Aussies trained in Israel and then killed a bunch of Muslims in Yeman, should Yemen go to war with Australia? Of course not. There's no doubt that the Saudis were partially involved with 9/11 but Afghanistan flat out allowed Al-Qaeda to operate without repercussions.

Depends if the aussies were sent there by australian secret service or not.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1121314151683Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll