d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Molotov-ribbentrop Pact 2.0
Prev1121314
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 945.00
Jul 19 2018 04:53pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jul 15 2018 01:44pm)
I'm aware of the agreement.... I just don't see how it's relevant. The idea that the US should've been bound by some verbal agreement made in private by one administration seems ridiculous to me... and the Russians at the time were complete idiots if they thought that would stop NATO from expanding.

Perhaps not and perhaps it should be taken into consideration that these agreements were made for stability post the cold war. However outdated it does shows the shift on geopolitical influences over time. NATO expanding to the east. If Ukraine and Crimea would have been separate countries, this would be less of a problem. Especially this part of the country has had a bit of autonomy, it is inhabited by mostly Russians, the main language is Russian and is of economical importance to Russia, it falling to the alliance agreement: NATO, is almost like: Puerto Rico becoming a communist state. ^

This post was edited by Knoppie on Jul 19 2018 05:15pm
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Jul 19 2018 04:57pm
I see trump isn't so thrilled about coming to the defense of Montenegro. I'm sure it has nothing to do with[/sarcasm] the fact that Putin tried to overthrow their government in the past year....
Jul 27 2018 10:11pm
WASHINGTON, D.C. โ€“ Today, U.S. Senators Tim Kaine (D-VA), Cory Gardner (R-CO), Jack Reed (D-RI), and John McCain (R-AZ) introduced a bipartisan bill to explicitly prohibit the President of the United States from withdrawing from NATO without Senate approval. The bill requires the President to seek the advice and consent of the Senate to modify or terminate U.S. membership in NATO and formalizes the Senateโ€™s opposition to withdrawing from the treaty. If the President attempts to withdraw from NATO without Senate approval, this bill also authorizes the Senate Legal Counsel to challenge the Administration in court.

๐Ÿ‘
Aug 2 2018 08:23pm
Quote (Horford @ Jul 28 2018 12:11am)
๐Ÿ‘

Graham & Menendez just introduced a "Sanctions Bill From Hell" (targetting Russian Oligarchs and Putin Family) which would additionally recquire a two-thirds vote of the Senate for any attempt by the U.S. to abandon NATO.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1121314
Add Reply New Topic New Poll