d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Existence Is Cringe.
Prev11213141516Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,453.85
Warn: 10%
May 13 2023 11:44pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ May 13 2023 10:42pm)
I come across them way less frequently but have no issues doing so.

Well, there is no way for any of us to verify that, but I will be polite and not doubt you.

Although I have seen a lot of people on the left targeting Christians for abuse but they stay clear of the other two.
Gold: 5.00
May 14 2023 04:38am
What is this a Thor feel good thread? Perhaps part of your cringe perspective is directly related to your goofy philosophical beliefs hashed out countless times on this forum. Wish you the best, but not surprised by your one-off projections given the stances you take during arguments.

To the gist of your topic, reminds me of seeing trash when I hike. Most everyone will walk by it, many will complain about, almost none pick it up. Takes almost no effort to pack-out most trash when you hike by it, many hikers feign environmental care, but do nothing to reduce the trash cringe. People simply lazy, easier to complain for hours than bend over pickup someone else candy wrappers.

This post was edited by RedFromWinter on May 14 2023 04:39am
Gold: 260.11
May 14 2023 12:15pm
Quote (RedFromWinter @ May 14 2023 05:38am)
What is this a Thor feel good thread? Perhaps part of your cringe perspective is directly related to your goofy philosophical beliefs hashed out countless times on this forum. Wish you the best, but not surprised by your one-off projections given the stances you take during arguments.

To the gist of your topic, reminds me of seeing trash when I hike. Most everyone will walk by it, many will complain about, almost none pick it up. Takes almost no effort to pack-out most trash when you hike by it, many hikers feign environmental care, but do nothing to reduce the trash cringe. People simply lazy, easier to complain for hours than bend over pickup someone else candy wrappers.

Man I feel you there. Living in a city the only thing that really bothers me is the abundance of trash. You can't dig down an inch before you uncover just tons of plastic and glass. I make an effort to pick up trash when I see it on my street or when it blows into my yard.

But it genuinely doesn't matter. You're picking up trash so you feel good about yourself in comparison to others, you made that very clear with how ready you were to make the comparison, but you aren't actually solving anything. You could spend your entire life, every waking second, picking up trash from every hiking trail you could possibly find and it wouldn't make the trails cleaner in any meaningful sense.

You are just too small to do that, even if you want to.

Unless you are actively advocating for things like eliminating single use plastic you aren't doing any more to solve the problem than the hikers who ignore it completely, and the desire to feel like you're better because you did small insignificant low effort things (emphasis here that you are basing your opinion of yourself on things that are low effort) is honestly pretty cringe.

This post was edited by NetflixAdaptationWidow on May 14 2023 12:18pm
Gold: 5.00
May 14 2023 05:50pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ May 14 2023 02:15pm)
Man I feel you there. Living in a city the only thing that really bothers me is the abundance of trash. You can't dig down an inch before you uncover just tons of plastic and glass. I make an effort to pick up trash when I see it on my street or when it blows into my yard.

But it genuinely doesn't matter. You're picking up trash so you feel good about yourself in comparison to others, you made that very clear with how ready you were to make the comparison, but you aren't actually solving anything. You could spend your entire life, every waking second, picking up trash from every hiking trail you could possibly find and it wouldn't make the trails cleaner in any meaningful sense.

You are just too small to do that, even if you want to.

Unless you are actively advocating for things like eliminating single use plastic you aren't doing any more to solve the problem than the hikers who ignore it completely, and the desire to feel like you're better because you did small insignificant low effort things (emphasis here that you are basing your opinion of yourself on things that are low effort) is honestly pretty cringe.

The sentiment was to leave it better than you found it, feeling good can be a nice side-effect, but after doing it for years its robotic now. Has nothing to do with a quest to solve world trash or w/e you are getting at there. Can apply the same life philosophy to many things, even work. As engineer, better to improve a project and leave it maintainable for the next person and/or client (usually yourself in 6+ months when you have amnesia). As hiker, better to improve the trail and leave it better for next hiker. Whether it makes a meaningful difference would require an in-depth analysis.

In the context of a big city, I can understand thinking the efforts are meaningless, and they likely are especially in US cities. Other cities like many in Japan and Europe are clean with beautiful outdoor spaces. Japan in particular had wonderful outdoor parks, temples, shrines, etc, and friendly signage for citizens about trash cleanup. So, its more a philosophical/cultural thing on how citizens maintain their community. In the US, I see huge difference between city culture and rural culture on this, but it really depends what part of the country as well.

In regards to advocacy, efforts at the local level have actually had meaningful impact. I don't' waste time with big picture advocacy much anymore other than to just say my 2-cents. Easier to advocate and higher odds of a change on local/state level for me.

This post was edited by RedFromWinter on May 14 2023 06:17pm
Gold: 6.66
May 15 2023 01:58am
I think existential crises are a side product of prosperity and individualism. The former lets us live our lives without actual dangers, and the latter shifts the focus from the exterior of the mind to the interior. We live in an era where what's subjective is often put on the same standing as the objective.
Gold: 8,044.70
May 15 2023 05:41pm
Quote (Neptunus @ 15 May 2023 03:58)
We live in an era where what's subjective is often put on the same standing as the objective.

Those are just the idiots
Gold: 80,771.69
May 15 2023 06:27pm
the creator's name was Yahuah and his son was yahusha, its encoded in the dna:

satan killed the creator, labeled himself god & manipulated the human race to
destroy themselves in order to torment the remnant seeds & produce evil unconsciousness.

creation was an omnipotent garden, now its a parasitic tech house of horrors.

This post was edited by lodd222 on May 15 2023 06:32pm
Gold: 6.66
May 15 2023 06:43pm
Quote (Crunkt @ May 16 2023 02:41am)
Those are just the idiots

No, those are the people who have time to think about philosophy... or existentialism, to be more precise.
Gold: 291.00
May 15 2023 07:02pm
Quote (RedFromWinter @ May 14 2023 04:50pm)

In the context of a big city, I can understand thinking the efforts are meaningless, and they likely are especially in US cities. Other cities like many in Japan and Europe are clean with beautiful outdoor spaces. Japan in particular had wonderful outdoor parks, temples, shrines, etc, and friendly signage for citizens about trash cleanup. So, its more a philosophical/cultural thing on how citizens maintain their community. In the US, I see huge difference between city culture and rural culture on this, but it really depends what part of the country as well.

was watching a food asmr video and they were at japan and used some vending machine to get a burger. they had a microwave on a stall next to the public sidewalk lol. i kept thinking how long that would last if it was in the usa
Gold: 8,044.70
May 15 2023 07:09pm
Quote (Neptunus @ 15 May 2023 20:43)
No, those are the people who have time to think about philosophy... or existentialism, to be more precise.

but you said we live in an era

and you are now talking only about people that have time to think about philosophy and existentialism

so a 2500 year era? Socrates is more than 2000 years old... and that's just western philosophy.

you can try to be subjective and talk about some people in this era who theorized things such as ones perception of reality is subjective and therefore every outcome of humanity is subjective etc etc. But now you are just back pedalling your attempt at brilliance and reducing the argument to 'well ya philosophers say so'
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev11213141516Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll