d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Mar A Lago Raided By Fbi
Prev1121122123124125233Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,404.67
Aug 16 2022 02:50pm
Quote (thundercock @ 16 Aug 2022 22:36)
We shouldn't accept that "nuclear secrets" were there just because WaPo said it (though they are one of the more reputable outlets when it comes to politics). What we SHOULD accept is that SCI material (in addition to TS) was there since it's on the receipts that are now public: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/08/12/us/politics/trump-search-warrant-document.html

We also know the possible crimes since that's on the warrant. Lastly, based on the people involved, we can surmise the general area that some of these documents fall under. Regardless, the facts point to this being extremely serious.

Mishandling classified information is a crime and a clear violation of norms. But opinions on Trump are already virtually perfectly sorted along this category anyway - virtually no voter who places great importance on norms will still support Trump; virtually no voter who still supports Trump will care about abstract norm violations. Public opinion will not move unless/until we learn about the actual content of these documents.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 16 2022 02:54pm
Quote (JessiWan @ Aug 16 2022 03:46pm)
I never said they had to ask. Rather my point is that you cannot prove that Trump isn't in the process of returning those papers. If he can prove that he really has the intention of returning the papers but is just taking a while, then it's a crime that's a lot less serious.

Fender is. He said, "why doesn't the law apply to Trump" which is the assumption that Trump is guilty already. I had a problem with this statement of his, that's all.

You are right that possession of classified material one has no authority for is a crime, and I guess in a strict, technical sense, Trump is indeed in such a possession. However, this is not analogous to a criminal having some crystal meth on him. Trump used to be president, and he had access to that kind of documents. It is conceivable he took some of these home with him when he was still potus and the papers stayed there and either he forgot to return them, or like I said earlier, he is in the process of returning them. And most importantly, at the time when he took those papers home, there was no criminal intention. A criminal getting hold of crystal meth has criminal intention. A sitting president taking sensitive papers home with him might not have criminal intention.

Although I admit I am not too sure about the legality of a POTUS taking sensitive documents home with him.

Except all of what you wrote is BS. On June 3,Trumps lawyers gave a statement that classified documents were returned. They were not.
Aug 16 2022 02:55pm
Quote (JessiWan @ Aug 16 2022 03:46pm)
I never said they had to ask. Rather my point is that you cannot prove that Trump isn't in the process of returning those papers. If he can prove that he really has the intention of returning the papers but is just taking a while, then it's a crime that's a lot less serious.

Fender is. He said, "why doesn't the law apply to Trump" which is the assumption that Trump is guilty already. I had a problem with this statement of his, that's all.

You are right that possession of classified material one has no authority for is a crime, and I guess in a strict, technical sense, Trump is indeed in such a possession. However, this is not analogous to a criminal having some crystal meth on him. Trump used to be president, and he had access to that kind of documents. It is conceivable he took some of these home with him when he was still potus and the papers stayed there and either he forgot to return them, or like I said earlier, he is in the process of returning them. And most importantly, at the time when he took those papers home, there was probably no criminal intention. A criminal getting hold of crystal meth has criminal intention. A sitting president taking sensitive papers home with him might not have criminal intention.

Although I admit I am not too sure about the legality of a POTUS taking sensitive documents home with him.

I absolutely guarantee you that when he was POTUS, he was made very well aware of the storage/viewing requirements for TS/SCI information. The White House and many other government facilities have SCIFs for this purpose, and him viewing any such information within a SCIF is perfectly normal. Mere possession outside a SCIF is a criminal act, regardless of intention.
Gold: 1,453.85
Warn: 10%
Aug 16 2022 02:57pm
Quote (Surfpunk @ Aug 16 2022 01:55pm)
I absolutely guarantee you that when he was POTUS, he was made very well aware of the storage/viewing requirements for TS/SCI information. The White House and many other government facilities have SCIFs for this purpose, and him viewing any such information within a SCIF is perfectly normal. Mere possession outside a SCIF is a criminal act, regardless of intention.

You are probably right.

I find it really hard to defend Trump having taking those documents home with him. Seems to be a very stupid move on his part. I honestly don't know why he did it.

This post was edited by JessiWan on Aug 16 2022 03:04pm
Gold: 10,485.00
Aug 16 2022 03:02pm

And thanks to our JSP time machine.... October 2016...

https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=72969075&f=119&o=8575
Warn: 30%
Aug 16 2022 03:02pm
Gold: 22,720.48
Aug 16 2022 03:05pm
Quote (foxnews @ Aug 16 2022 04:54pm)
Except all of what you wrote is BS. On June 3,Trumps lawyers gave a statement that classified documents were returned. They were not.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-lawyer-june-said-classified-material-had-been-returned-ny-times-2022-08-13/

In case the peanut gallery doesn't believe that.
Aug 16 2022 03:06pm
Quote (Arsenic_Touch @ Aug 16 2022 04:05pm)

Facts don’t matter, they have their alternative facts.
Junior Moderator
Gold: 9,933.69
Trader: Mediator
Aug 16 2022 03:06pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 16 Aug 2022 22:50)
Mishandling classified information is a crime and a clear violation of norms. But opinions on Trump are already virtually perfectly sorted along this category anyway - virtually no voter who places great importance on norms will still support Trump; virtually no voter who still supports Trump will care about abstract norm violations. Public opinion will not move unless/until we learn about the actual content of these documents.

Over 74 million people voted for Trump in 2020. For the candidate of the Republican party. Do you think "virtually no"ne of them place great importance on norms (or laws)? Or are you already taking into account that the amount of his supporters may have shrunken during the last 2 years? If so, is whatever is left sufficient to win an election?

That's almost a quarter of the entire American population. A not so tiny fraction of them will care.

Aug 16 2022 03:11pm
Quote (JessiWan @ Aug 16 2022 03:57pm)
You are probably right.

I find it really hard to defend Trump having taking those documents home with him. Seems to be a very stupid move on his part. I honestly don't know why he did it.

Bragging rights would not be a great stretch for someone like him. There are certainly more nefarious reasons he could have kept that information, but we don't have any concrete proof of that, so anything to that point is just conjecture right now.

This post was edited by Surfpunk on Aug 16 2022 03:11pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1121122123124125233Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll