d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > My Views On Helping The Poor
Prev1111213141529Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.84
Apr 8 2015 10:45pm
Quote (IceMage @ 8 Apr 2015 19:10)
You're being naive. The idea of lumping all homosexuals into one group, and all Christians into one group, and claiming one group doesn't like the other, is ridiculous. I have gay friends. I have a gay relative. I've met gay people I enjoy being around, and I've met gay people who I don't enjoy being around.

@bold: More retarded logic. Most of my friends in college were pothead atheists.

You Che-shirt wearing idiots have this caricature in your mind of what a Christian is... and it's almost always wrong. It's time to stop the hate, maaan.

but them homosexuals has an agenda!

seriously though this thread is good lols. Why I keep coming back here. Love you guys
Gold: 2,900.49
Apr 9 2015 04:34am
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 8 2015 10:40pm)
You're being naive. The idea of lumping all homosexuals into one group, and all Christians into one group, and claiming one group doesn't like the other, is ridiculous. I have gay friends. I have a gay relative. I've met gay people I enjoy being around, and I've met gay people who I don't enjoy being around.

@bold: More retarded logic. Most of my friends in college were pothead atheists.

You Che-shirt wearing idiots have this caricature in your mind of what a Christian is... and it's almost always wrong. It's time to stop the hate, maaan.

It's very simple, someone who identifies as Christian is more likely to dislike someone who identifies as homosexual; going off of just those two facts, alone. I would go so far as to say most Christians dislike homosexuals, or, at least, I'd say it is likely a Christian wouldn't like homosexuals or at least has a negative preconception in their minds as to what a homosexual person is like, if all they know about this person is that they are homosexual (i.e., "have you ever met Jack? He's a homosexual" -- "oh, he's probably a degenerate").

Not an actual principle but it just makes sense.

And you just proved my point when you responded to that bold text, the only arguments you guys have are typically based on your specific individual example, which is usually not in line with what an average Christian would believe.

I don't hate Christians, but I freely admit to have a negative preconception about them in my mind. In the vein of my example above if you told me I'm about to meet someone and only told me they are a Christian -- you don't tell me their race, gender, age, etc. -- I've already created a negative bias in my mind against that person, almost subconsciously. Why is that? I'd say because I generally dislike most Christians I meet, and there's a reason; they choose to be Christians and act the way they do, and I feel I can judge them on that as easily as you judge the shirt I wear (I don't really, but let's say I do for the purpose of this post). Christians I usually interact with choose a belief system that promotes (if not in Scripture than by example) exclusion, ignorance, repression (sexual and otherwise), etc., and I have to question, immediately, why somebody would.

Without meeting them and learning enough about them individually to dismiss these worries/immediate biases I can't honestly say I do not have them.

yeah there really are a bunch of Christians who do like gays, my former home church has a gay couple who both have sat in positions on the church council They are super ladies and are completely immersed in the church it took me over a year to actually find out they were a couple, nobody was hiding it it just wasn't important info. As a persons sexuality should be(not important information). But back to christians quite a few of the main stream modern thinking progressive growing denominations lovingly embrace all people including LGBT's ..open doors-open hearts-open minds

Again, I'm not claiming what I'm arguing is a universal principle or anything, so these arguments, which are, as I said, entirely based off of your own unique experiences are kind of annoying.

Observe:

Most athletes do not have diabetes.

"But Patrick Peterson has diabetes and he is an athlete!"

Does that dismiss the former claim?

Quote (inkanddagger @ Apr 9 2015 04:16am)
How are you going to interview and attain a career job when you are flipping burgers 40 hours a week?

It's possible, I work 40 hours a week as a server and I could find a way to go to school or look for something better, I just don't. It's definitely not easy but elevating yourself shouldn't be, in my opinion.

Too many "young professionals" who don't want to put in actual time and feel like they're owed something because they have a piece of paper.

EDIT -- But then that's unfair, I'm sure you're not just referring to 20-somethings with your post, I'm sure uneducated individuals of all ages are included, and honestly it's a fucking huge obstacle to overcome a full-time job obligation along with other obligations while simultaneously pursuing better work; unless you're OP, of course, then it's as natural as breathing and we're all fucking losers for not following suit.

This post was edited by Kamahl16 on Apr 9 2015 04:40am
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 9 2015 07:35am
Quote (Kamahl16 @ Apr 9 2015 05:34am)
It's very simple, someone who identifies as Christian is more likely to dislike someone who identifies as homosexual; going off of just those two facts, alone. I would go so far as to say most Christians dislike homosexuals, or, at least, I'd say it is likely a Christian wouldn't like homosexuals or at least has a negative preconception in their minds as to what a homosexual person is like, if all they know about this person is that they are homosexual (i.e., "have you ever met Jack? He's a homosexual" -- "oh, he's probably a degenerate").

And you just proved my point when you responded to that bold text, the only arguments you guys have are typically based on your specific individual example, which is usually not in line with what an average Christian would believe.

I don't hate Christians, but I freely admit to have a negative preconception about them in my mind. In the vein of my example above if you told me I'm about to meet someone and only told me they are a Christian -- you don't tell me their race, gender, age, etc. -- I've already created a negative bias in my mind against that person, almost subconsciously. Why is that? I'd say because I generally dislike most Christians I meet, and there's a reason; they choose to be Christians and act the way they do, and I feel I can judge them on that as easily as you judge the shirt I wear (I don't really, but let's say I do for the purpose of this post). Christians I usually interact with choose a belief system that promotes (if not in Scripture than by example) exclusion, ignorance, repression (sexual and otherwise), etc., and I have to question, immediately, why somebody would.

Without meeting them and learning enough about them individually to dismiss these worries/immediate biases I can't honestly say I do not have them.

Well, playing those odds(more likely), we could make a few judgments. Someone who is gay is more likely to dislike Christians, someone who is liberal is more likely to dislike Christians, someone who wears Che shirts is more likely to dislike Christians, etc.

I think having negative preconceptions about a group in your mind and disliking that group are two different things.

Also, I'm not sure why a belief system you disagree with causes you to dislike someone. I have many friends who believe in things completely opposite of what I do(especially the gay ones), and I'm able to have a relationship with them. Maybe you take your negative preconceptions to the next level, and you allow them to tarnish potential relationships you could be having with people. That's ignorance and exclusion, isn't it?

I'm also baffled as to why someone choosing not to have sex would bother you, lol.
Gold: 2,571.50
Apr 9 2015 07:41am
Quote (Kamahl16 @ Apr 9 2015 10:34am)

Again, I'm not claiming what I'm arguing is a universal principle or anything, so these arguments, which are, as I said, entirely based off of your own unique experiences are kind of annoying.

Observe:

Most athletes do not have diabetes.

"But Patrick Peterson has diabetes and he is an athlete!"

Does that dismiss the former claim?

It's possible, I work 40 hours a week as a server and I could find a way to go to school or look for something better, I just don't. It's definitely not easy but elevating yourself shouldn't be, in my opinion.

Too many "young professionals" who don't want to put in actual time and feel like they're owed something because they have a piece of paper.

EDIT -- But then that's unfair, I'm sure you're not just referring to 20-somethings with your post, I'm sure uneducated individuals of all ages are included, and honestly it's a fucking huge obstacle to overcome a full-time job obligation along with other obligations while simultaneously pursuing better work; unless you're OP, of course, then it's as natural as breathing and we're all fucking losers for not following suit.

Most Christians I know do not hate or dislike gay people at all. They don't mind them one bit. And I know a lot of church people ( my uncle is a pastor of his church). Most of my family is very religious and they do not dislike homosexuals one bit. It is the idea of gays joining in Holy Matromony in the eyes of God that Christians just do not support because it's against their beliefs. That does not come close to meaning they dislike/hate gays.

Christians if anything dislike gays in the same way non Christians do... When they force talk in a super annoying way trying to sound super gay or when they look like straight up drag queen whores....

And then you have small groups of people like that scumbag chuch (west baptist don't remember th name) that make religious people look bad in general. Of course the people who are against it are more active and loud compare to those that do not mind. So you see more manifestation there... The majority who don't care usually don't voice their opinion and make a big deal about it.

Again, it's not that they hate and dislike, they are against the concept of gays entering in Holy Matrimony.
Apr 9 2015 08:06am
I think the whole "X dislikes this group" comes from an inability to understand other people's perspectives.

Christians against gay marriage, they hate gays. Conservatives against free birth control for all women, they hate women. Conservatives in favor of cutting some welfare benefits to balance the budget, they hate black people. Conservatives for securing the border, they hate Hispanics.

It's a weird way of avoiding the issues.
Gold: 260.11
Apr 9 2015 08:20am
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 9 2015 08:06am)
I think the whole "X dislikes this group" comes from an inability to understand other people's perspectives.

Christians against gay marriage, they hate gays. Conservatives against free birth control for all women, they hate women. Conservatives in favor of cutting some welfare benefits to balance the budget, they hate black people. Conservatives for securing the border, they hate Hispanics.

It sure does look that way when you intentionally soften what is said to make your side look better :lol:
Gold: 285.00
Apr 9 2015 08:33am
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 9 2015 09:06am)

It has nothing to do with opinion and everything to do with action. You can like or dislike who you want....when you start forming policies eroding the rights of others then you will be treated like it.

Conservatives simply cannot live and let live, they want the state to regulate reproduction, love, who wins and who loses socially and economically, and want prisons to be privately run. The even want to pass laws dictating what language people can speak and have brown people show their papers, or maybe wear some sort of symbol on their sleeve.

Totalitarian fucks.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 9 2015 08:34am
Gold: 11,407.33
Apr 9 2015 08:58am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 9 2015 10:33am)
It has nothing to do with opinion and everything to do with action. You can like or dislike who you want....when you start forming policies eroding the rights of others then you will be treated like it.

Conservatives simply cannot live and let live, they want the state to regulate reproduction, love, who wins and who loses socially and economically, and want prisons to be privately run. The even want to pass laws dictating what language people can speak and have brown people show their papers, or maybe wear some sort of symbol on their sleeve.

Totalitarian fucks.

The hypocrisy is evident
Apr 9 2015 09:12am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 9 2015 09:33am)

Totalitarian fucks.

Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Apr 9 2015 09:15am
Quote (inkanddagger @ Apr 8 2015 11:16pm)
How are you going to interview and attain a career job when you are flipping burgers 40 hours a week?

Apply at night or early in the morning. it's not like flipping burgers is a 9-5 job typically. interview when youre free, or call out. easy. keep your eye on the prize.

god so many of you are just full of excuses of why you cant do something
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1111213141529Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll