d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > France Is Being Lit Up By Protests
Prev1111213141545Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,453.85
Warn: 10%
Mar 20 2023 11:22pm
Quote (Hamsterbaby @ Mar 20 2023 10:21pm)
Well that is how they roll. Probably why you seldom get mugged or rape since there are some pretty draconian laws against those crimes and with Cameras, people will think twice.
Similar to Singapore.
You will think twice about raping and assualting a girl since the max sentence is 24 strokes of cane and 24 years in prison.

Some countries don't put cameras everywhere but they still have pretty low rates of violent crimes. It must be due to people's innate differences and their tendencies towards criminality.
Gold: 46,068.00
Mar 20 2023 11:25pm
Quote (JessiWan @ 21 Mar 2023 13:22)
Some countries don't put cameras everywhere but they still have pretty low rates of violent crimes. It must be due to people's innate differences and their tendencies towards criminality.

That is because they have a small probably non diverse population , extremely homogeneous.
But given the extent of globalization and unfettered immigration , you will find such countries fewer and fewer as time goes by.

It is always easier to control a small population.

This post was edited by Hamsterbaby on Mar 20 2023 11:26pm
Mar 20 2023 11:28pm
Quote (Hamsterbaby @ Mar 20 2023 10:25pm)
That is because they have a small probably non diverse population , extremely homogeneous.
But given the extent of globalization and unfettered immigration , you will find such countries fewer and fewer as time goes by.

It is always easier to control a small population.

China is pretty homogeneous, what are you talking about.
Mar 20 2023 11:41pm
Quote (JessiWan @ 21 Mar 2023 13:28)
China is pretty homogeneous, what are you talking about.

Yes, but it has a huge population . From Tier 5 to Tier 1 Cities there is a huge wage gap. They are doing pretty well in the Tier 1 to 2 cities and even to Tier 3 Cities at the moment.
There are still poor people and there are still people who aren't having a decent living yet. But sooner or later they will.

The previous leaders of the communist party mainly the gang of four decimated the entire culture until Deng Xiao Peng made a huge reverse.
So it takes some time for time to move up the ladder. Furthermore the Qing Dynasty and the shame they experienced during the 2 Opium wars , WW1 and WW2 have a huge effect.

As much as they are homogeneous mainly " Han " Chinese. There is still some language barriers i.e the Shanghainese prefer to speak Shanghainese, the Cantonese prefer to converse in Cantonese and the Beijingese prefer standard mandarin.
Unlike the West or in Canada or USA for example, the implementation of a common language galvanize the society or at least they try to.

Crossing a couple of street down the road in a city in Guangzhou for example you might hear a slightly different kind of dialect. And more often than not such nuances separate the residents even though you are ethnically similar.
Therefore creating a dilemma which is why the Central government try to force standardized mandarin down everyone's throat.

For larger cities i.e Shanghai , Shenzhen , Guangzhou , Beijing . There are tons of cameras. because they are diverse and more and more people from different country is coming in to setup office and trade.
In Smaller cities there are much less surveillance in that sense since they are a lot less diversified and having a smaller population.

But even then, with 1.4 billion people there are bound to be idiots and assholes.
Mar 20 2023 11:43pm
Quote (Hamsterbaby @ Mar 20 2023 10:41pm)
Yes, but it has a huge population . From Tier 5 to Tier 1 Cities there is a huge wage gap. They are doing pretty well in the Tier 1 to 2 cities and even to Tier 3 Cities at the moment.
There are still poor people and there are still people who aren't having a decent living yet. But sooner or later they will.

The previous leaders of the communist party mainly the gang of four decimated the entire culture until Deng Xiao Peng made a huge reverse.
So it takes some time for time to move up the ladder. Furthermore the Qing Dynasty and the shame they experienced during the 2 Opium wars , WW1 and WW2 have a huge effect.

As much as they are homogeneous mainly " Han " Chinese. There is still some language barriers i.e the Shanghainese prefer to speak Shanghainese, the Cantonese prefer to converse in Cantonese and the Beijingese prefer standard mandarin.
Unlike the West or in Canada or USA for example, the implementation of a common language galvanize the society or at least they try to.

Crossing a couple of street down the road in a city in Guangzhou for example you might hear a slightly different kind of dialect. And more often than not such nuances separate the residents even though you are ethnically similar.
Therefore creating a dilemma which is why the Central government try to force standardized mandarin down everyone's throat.

For larger cities i.e Shanghai , Shenzhen , Guangzhou , Beijing . There are tons of cameras. because they are diverse and more and more people from different country is coming in to setup office and trade.
In Smaller cities there are much less surveillance in that sense since they are a lot less diversified and having a smaller population.

But even then, with 1.4 billion people there are bound to be idiots and assholes.

Dude calm down. I didn't ask for a lesson on China.
Mar 20 2023 11:43pm
Quote (JessiWan @ 21 Mar 2023 13:43)
Dude calm down. I didn't ask for a lesson on China.

You asked me what I was talking about and I responded to your question.

This post was edited by Hamsterbaby on Mar 20 2023 11:46pm
Gold: 2,602.00
Mar 20 2023 11:52pm
Quote (DizzyBusiness @ Mar 20 2023 10:05pm)
Dont know how accurate the numbers are since I just Googled it quickly but I read China has around 200 million CCTV cameras, and the US has about 50 million so it doesn't seem that crazy in comparison if you account for population difference

Yeah, it's pretty similar. For a very long time London was the city with the most cameras per capita, but never got demonized like China does.

Quote (JessiWan @ Mar 20 2023 10:11pm)
You downplay the fact that the Chinese government puts cameras everywhere as if their people were all would-be criminals who needed to be watched constantly.

China actually used to have a lot of crime! You have to understand that China moved a huge amount of quite poor rural people into cities in a very short period of time, and didn't always have the resources to deal with all the resultant problems. Not saying poor people are 'worse' people or anything, but there is a process of social education that takes place through urbanization. As true in China as in anywhere, and compounded by moving hundreds of millions from being farmers to being factory workers in the span of a couple generations.

Quote (JessiWan @ Mar 20 2023 10:20pm)
Naw.

Very few people in the West care enough about China to want to demonize it.

The West is obsessed with demonizing China. Everything China does that is a normal thing that happens is cast as dangerous, villainous or suspicious. Look at these headlines, as just an example:

But when it's America:
Mar 20 2023 11:58pm
Quote (kusotarre1 @ Mar 20 2023 10:52pm)

The West is obsessed with demonizing China.

The media in the West are. Not the average people. And if the average people do care, it's because the media talk about China incessantly.

Why do you care so much about this anyway? Are you Chinese?
Gold: 2,602.00
Mar 20 2023 11:59pm
Quote (JessiWan @ Mar 20 2023 10:58pm)
The media in the West are. Not the average people. And if the average people do care, it's because the media talk about China incessantly.

Why do you care so much about this anyway? Are you Chinese?

It's not the media in the West that are hate-criming Asian people. It's regular fuckhead Westerners.

And no, I am not Chinese. My partner is, though.
Gold: 100,701.50
Mar 21 2023 06:51am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1111213141545Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll