d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Mueller Report
Prev1118119120121122173Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 22,164.69
May 6 2019 07:45am
https://thefederalist.com/2019/05/06/major-report-omission-shows-mueller-either-incompetent-political-hack/

Food for thought there.

We know Steele's sources in the Kremlin gave him bogus information
We know Russian intelligence was engaged in an election disruption effort and seeding disinformation
We know Mueller did not have a single unredacted word in his report about whether Steele was the target of disinformation seeding by the Russians, nor any similar section on investigating the possibility like all the others in his report.
Its implausible that any of the redacted sections cover an exhaustive review of that possibility, but it is plausible that such an investigation was conducted and not included in the report at all.
However its more likely from what evidence we've seen and the evidence of absence we've seen, that Mueller simply failed to investigate that possibility.
Gold: 4,404.67
May 6 2019 08:00am
Quote (Goomshill @ 6 May 2019 15:45)
https://thefederalist.com/2019/05/06/major-report-omission-shows-mueller-either-incompetent-political-hack/

Food for thought there.

We know Russian intelligence was engaged in an election disruption effort and seeding disinformation
We know Mueller did not have a single unredacted word in his report about whether Steele was the target of disinformation seeding by the Russians, nor any similar section on investigating the possibility like all the others in his report.
Its implausible that any of the redacted sections cover an exhaustive review of that possibility, but it is plausible that such an investigation was conducted and not included in the report at all.
However its more likely from what evidence we've seen and the evidence of absence we've seen, that Mueller simply failed to investigate that possibility.

Would investigating this possibility have damaged Trump? No, quite the opposite. :santa:
Gold: 2,151.00
May 6 2019 09:17am
Quote (Goomshill @ May 6 2019 08:45am)

Food for thought there.

I’m not sure I understand your argument. Are you suggesting that Russia gave false info to Steele and Mueller didn’t verify it? Or just that Mueller didn’t investigate whether or not there was a disinformation operation against Steele?
May 6 2019 09:32am
Quote (Mastersam93 @ May 6 2019 09:17am)
I’m not sure I understand your argument. Are you suggesting that Russia gave false info to Steele and Mueller didn’t verify it? Or just that Mueller didn’t investigate whether or not there was a disinformation operation against Steele?

As far as we know, Mueller didn't investigation whether there was a disinformation operation against Steele. And that's a significant omission. Its quite possible that Steele's intelligence gathering was infected by Russian disinformation directed at him as part of the campaign, and it would be negligent for Mueller to omit that line of inquiry. Of course, we don't know whether he actually did or didn't, but all signs point to 'no'. That is to say, we already know Russians gave Steele false info- we just don't know for sure whether it was just self-interested Kremlin agents who were spinning tall tales to lap up the Clinton campaign cash showered on them, or whether it was a more nefarious Russian intelligence operation. We do know that Mueller looked into the info and showed it was false, just not whether he looked into the source of that info.
Gold: 2,151.00
May 6 2019 09:41am
Quote (Goomshill @ May 6 2019 10:32am)
As far as we know, Mueller didn't investigation whether there was a disinformation operation against Steele. And that's a significant omission. Its quite possible that Steele's intelligence gathering was infected by Russian disinformation directed at him as part of the campaign, and it would be negligent for Mueller to omit that line of inquiry. Of course, we don't know whether he actually did or didn't, but all signs point to 'no'. That is to say, we already know Russians gave Steele false info- we just don't know for sure whether it was just self-interested Kremlin agents who were spinning tall tales to lap up the Clinton campaign cash showered on them, or whether it was a more nefarious Russian intelligence operation. We do know that Mueller looked into the info and showed it was false, just not whether he looked into the source of that info.

As long as Mueller verified whatever info he was given, I don’t think t matters if he investigated a disinformation operation against Steele. His investigation wasn’t into Steele.
May 6 2019 09:50am
Quote (Mastersam93 @ May 6 2019 09:41am)
As long as Mueller verified whatever info he was given, I don’t think t matters if he investigated a disinformation operation against Steele. His investigation wasn’t into Steele.

the investigation was into the Russian election influence campaign, and if Steele received disinformation from Russian intelligence, that would be one very important aspect of that campaign.
Gold: 5,356.00
Trader: Trusted
May 6 2019 11:27am
Quote (Goomshill @ May 6 2019 10:50am)
the investigation was into the Russian election influence campaign, and if Steele received disinformation from Russian intelligence, that would be one very important aspect of that campaign.

i know this first investigation is into this topic, but i'm curious if these other 2 are somewhat in that direction as well?
https://oig.justice.gov/ongoing/fbi.htm
Examination of the Department’s and the FBI’s Compliance with Legal Requirements and Policies in Applications Filed with the U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court Relating to a certain U.S. Person
The OIG, in response to requests from the Attorney General and Members of Congress, is examining the Department’s and the FBI’s compliance with legal requirements, and with applicable DOJ and FBI policies and procedures, in applications filed with the U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) relating to a certain U.S. person. As part of this examination, the OIG is also reviewing information that was known to the DOJ and the FBI at the time the applications were filed from or about an alleged FBI confidential source. Additionally, the OIG is reviewing the DOJ’s and FBI’s relationship and communications with the alleged source as they relate to the FISC applications. If circumstances warrant, the OIG will consider including other issues that may arise during the course of the review.

FBI's Adjudication of Misconduct Investigations
The OIG is examining whether FBI’s misconduct investigations are handled according to policy throughout the adjudication process and how FBI determines when and how to revise its misconduct adjudication policies and process.

FBI’s Confidential Human Source Program
The OIG is auditing the FBI’s Confidential Human Source Program. The preliminary objectives are to: (1) assess the FBI’s management and oversight of its Confidential Human Source Program, to include the FBI’s oversight of payments to confidential human sources, (2) examine the FBI’s confidential human source policies to ensure consistency with the Attorney General Guidelines, and (3) assess the FBI’s process of determining reliability and appropriateness of confidential human sources.
Gold: 475.46
May 6 2019 11:30am
Quote (tagged4nothing @ May 4 2019 07:05am)
so we're still claiming trump is in office because of "russians"?

Claiming that the russians played a role in his win, yes. you cant deny facts. Sorry?
Gold: 5,356.00
Trader: Trusted
May 6 2019 11:37am
Quote (Brian_D @ May 6 2019 12:30pm)
Claiming that the russians played a role in his win, yes. you cant deny facts. Sorry?

so china and europe didn't have any role in boosting hillary's numbers?

is obama guilty of anything since he released numerous commercials persuading people to vote hillary?
is the pope guilty since he publicly went against trump?

i won't deny russia had an effect. it's rather 1-sided though to believe russia was the only foreign power to influence votes.
the fbi has stated other countries try to influence the election, and have stressed china.
give me time i can even find you a video clip of director wray speaking of this.
Gold: 475.46
May 6 2019 01:26pm
Quote (tagged4nothing @ May 6 2019 10:37am)
so china and europe didn't have any role in boosting hillary's numbers?

is obama guilty of anything since he released numerous commercials persuading people to vote hillary?
is the pope guilty since he publicly went against trump?

i won't deny russia had an effect. it's rather 1-sided though to believe russia was the only foreign power to influence votes.
the fbi has stated other countries try to influence the election, and have stressed china.
give me time i can even find you a video clip of director wray speaking of this.

Maybe others had a play, im just saying that it isnt debatable as to whether or not it happens regarding Russia and will happen again in 2020.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1118119120121122173Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll