d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Joe Biden 2020 Thread
Prev11161171181191201036Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 13,704.02
Jun 26 2020 02:00pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 26 2020 02:52pm)
Sure, neither is perfect. The bold is just meme informed bs.

His "you ain't black" comments were regrettable but pretty mild compared to what Trump does since Trump does it unapologetically and gets cheered on for it.

The problem is only one of them has their poor comments and actions criticized, discussed and disavowed - as they should be.

The other one's gaffs, poor comments, and questionable history gets swept under the rug or shrugged off.

I won't insult you by asking which one is which.

This post was edited by djman72 on Jun 26 2020 02:00pm
Gold: 2,504.69
Jun 26 2020 02:08pm
Quote (djman72 @ Jun 26 2020 03:00pm)
The problem is only one of them has their poor comments and actions criticized, discussed and disavowed - as they should be.

The other one's gaffs, poor comments, and questionable history gets swept under the rug or shrugged off.

literally all of Joe's comments get covered in MSM networks. i hear this "only Trump get's called out" narrative a lot, it's silly. if someone says something dumb the news covers it, Biden says a lot of dumb stuff. they might not do 24 hours of wall to wall coverage like they do with Trump, but its certainly not just ignored. I watched a lot of roundtables with Charlamagne post Biden's "u aint black" gaffe and he was getting ripped up.
Gold: 4,404.67
Jun 26 2020 02:37pm
Quote (IceMage @ 26 Jun 2020 21:03)
Trump finally got challenged as president and he failed spectacularly. It's true, without those challenges, his good fortune in inheriting a good economy and no major crises would probably carry him into a 2nd term.

I agree. It's still worth pointing out that Trump is not just underwater because he got challenged in normal fashion and failed - he was suddenly faced with ENORMOUS challenges which go far beyond the things that every president has to deal with sooner or later; challenges with which any incumbent, even the strong and competent ones, would have struggled a lot.

Quote (Thor123422 @ 26 Jun 2020 21:25)
One thing that I find interesting is all the Trumpets are trying to use things from Biden's past, or his gaffes, to try to bring him down or make fun of him. The memes of Joe Biden saying some racist stuff 20 years ago and whatnot. I really don't understand this beyond the "owning the libs" mentality, because I can't imagine they think this will hurt Biden's chances. Like, do they really think Biden will be hurt by one assault claim when Trump has dozens including perving on teenagers at pageants? Do they really think Biden's racist comments from 40 years ago matters when Trump's employees say they had to hide black employees when he visited, he propagated the birther movement for longer than anybody else, etc. etc.? Even at his worst, Biden is still better than Trump in every respect they're criticizing Biden on.

Imho, these memes about Biden are not intended to bring him down - the Trumpists intend them to mock Biden, and to amuse and uplift themselves. The fact that Trump's challenger is a gaffe-prone personification of mediocrity with signs of dementia is quite literally the only good news, the only straw they can grasp at while everything else comes crumbling down.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 26 2020 02:38pm
Gold: 57.00
Jun 26 2020 02:42pm
Quote (djman72 @ 26 Jun 2020 16:00)

Quote (Thor123422 @ 26 Jun 2020 15:52)
Sure, neither is perfect. The bold is just meme informed bs.

His "you ain't black" comments were regrettable but pretty mild compared to what Trump does since Trump does it unapologetically and gets cheered on for it.

Quote (thesnipa @ 26 Jun 2020 16:08)
literally all of Joe's comments get covered in MSM networks. i hear this "only Trump get's called out" narrative a lot, it's silly. if someone says something dumb the news covers it, Biden says a lot of dumb stuff. they might not do 24 hours of wall to wall coverage like they do with Trump, but its certainly not just ignored. I watched a lot of roundtables with Charlamagne post Biden's "u aint black" gaffe and he was getting ripped up.

Biden’s comments on the breakfast club were as virulently racist as one can get without adding in or usung racial slurs

here you have a pasty privileged lefty multi-millionaire lifelong politician. A racist who has enriched himself at taxpayer expense and wielded political power to ruin so many minority families going off and telling black people “they ain’t black” if they haven’t decided to vote for him yet.

Biden has has no issue ‘explaining’ how he thinks minorities “should behave”. that’s some straight racist BS that only a lifelong snitch of a FED swamp demon would come up with
Gold: 260.11
Jun 26 2020 02:42pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 26 2020 03:37pm)
I agree. It's still worth pointing out that Trump is not just underwater because he got challenged in normal fashion and failed - he was suddenly faced with ENORMOUS challenges which go far beyond the things that every president has to deal with sooner or later; challenges with which any incumbent, even the strong and competent ones, would have struggled a lot.
Imho, these memes about Biden are not intended to bring him down - the Trumpists intend them to mock Biden, and to amuse and uplift themselves. The fact that Trump's challenger is a gaffe-prone personification of mediocrity with signs of dementia is quite literally the only good news, the only straw they can grasp at while everything else comes crumbling down.

I don't agree that this is a challenge unique to Trump. Bush had 9/11 and the wars, Obama came in during an economic meltdown and an economy that was still far below the day he took office, Clinton had an impeachment, etc. etc.

Similarly, the economic downturn was partially his own doing. He cut taxes to boost an already strong economy when he should have saved that kind of thing for when it was needed. He got the benefit of the tax cut early in his presidency and as a result the fall was that much harder.
Gold: 13,704.02
Jun 26 2020 02:54pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 26 2020 03:08pm)

MSN and Charlamagne's stream/podcast are drastically different. Joe Biden doesn't get covered the same way as Trump, not my in humble opinion at least. Most major networks not named Fox will provide damage control when Joe pulls a Joe.

Jun 26 2020 03:21pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 26 Jun 2020 22:42)
I don't agree that this is a challenge unique to Trump. Bush had 9/11 and the wars, Obama came in during an economic meltdown and an economy that was still far below the day he took office, Clinton had an impeachment, etc. etc.

Bad examples. If we're being honest, 9/11 was a crisis where the president couldnt do too much wrong in the short term, and it was never a crisis that threatened to lead to widespread impoverishment or civil unrest. Aside form calling for pogroms against muslims in the immediate aftermath of the attack, the only possible mistake the president could make in reaction to 9/11 was drawing the wrong geopolitical conclusions, which the Bush administration did.

Clinton's impeachment was a crisis he had brought upon himself. Completely misguided to compare it with 9/11 or corona. Obama was faced with a huge economic crisis, yes, but it was still much smaller in scope than the economic impact of coronavirus:

And even more importantly, the great recession was a crisis that the country and the world could just print their way out of. By contrast, with corona, throwing cash at the problem doesnt work. In fact, nothing short of a vaccine or efficient medication can really solve this problem. And coming up with these is something that neither the president nor Congress can do; they cant even do too much to speed the process up. Trump, McConnell, Pelosi, Schumer, Biden - from a macro perspective, they are all essentially powerless when it comes to the economic impact of the pandemic.

Similarly, the economic downturn was partially his own doing. He cut taxes to boost an already strong economy when he should have saved that kind of thing for when it was needed. He got the benefit of the tax cut early in his presidency and as a result the fall was that much harder.

Big disagree. Tax cuts would have done fuck all for the economy when the economy has to be shut down artificially by the state. The tax cuts were a mistake, at least the way they were constructed (too much of the cuts going to the rich, too little to the middle class), but they have in fact not interacted with the corona crisis yet. The tax cuts might come back to haunt us if the blown deficit spirals out of control and the markets lose confidence. But we're definitely not at this point yet (the USD is actually appreciating relative to almost all other currencies right now), and it's far from a foregone conclusion that this scenario ever materializes.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 26 2020 03:23pm
Gold: 260.11
Jun 26 2020 03:30pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 26 2020 04:21pm)
Bad examples. If we're being honest, 9/11 was a crisis where the president couldnt do too much wrong in the short term, and it was never a crisis that threatened to lead to widespread impoverishment or civil unrest. Aside form calling for pogroms against muslims in the immediate aftermath of the attack, the only possible mistake the president could make in reaction to 9/11 was drawing the wrong geopolitical conclusions, which the Bush administration did.

Clinton's impeachment was a crisis he had brought upon himself. Completely misguided to compare it with 9/11 or corona. Obama was faced with a huge economic crisis, yes, but it was still much smaller in scope than the economic impact of coronavirus:
https://i.imgur.com/pcxlk8K.png

And even more importantly, the great recession was a crisis that the country and the world could just print their way out of. By contrast, with corona, throwing cash at the problem doesnt work. In fact, nothing short of a vaccine or efficient medication can really solve this problem. And coming up with these is something that neither the president nor Congress can do; they cant even do too much to speed the process up. Trump, McConnell, Pelosi, Schumer, Biden - from a macro perspective, they are all essentially powerless when it comes to the economic impact of the pandemic.

Big disagree. Tax cuts would have done fuck all for the economy when the economy has to be shut down artificially by the state. The tax cuts were a mistake, at least the way they were constructed (too much of the cuts going to the rich, too little to the middle class), but they have in fact not interacted with the corona crisis yet. The tax cuts might come back to haunt us if the blown deficit spirals out of control and the markets lose confidence. But we're definitely not at this point yet (the USD is actually appreciating relative to almost all other currencies right now), and it's far from a foregone conclusion that this scenario ever materializes.

I think it's silly to start nit picking details about how the crises' are different. All crisis of national scale are unique. My point was that all presidents face large challenges and how they are handled determines how the president is perceived. Trump isn't special because his crisis was a virus. He could have just as well taken a strong early stand on corona, started national testing and quarantine early on, provided leadership and direction for the country, etc. etc. and his employment numbers would look insanely better than they do now. The reason our current unemployment has gone so high is partially because we haven't had a competent national response. Instead he handled it poorly, attacked the news, advised states to stop testing so his numbers wouldn't look so bad, bought into every conspiracy theory under the sun, etc. etc. Presidents face challenges, and he is not sunk by challenges out of his control, he's sunk by his response to the challenges. Trump basically took the worst possible course of action at every opportunity.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jun 26 2020 03:31pm
Jun 26 2020 04:08pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 26 Jun 2020 23:30)
I think it's silly to start nit picking details about how the crises' are different. All crisis of national scale are unique. My point was that all presidents face large challenges and how they are handled determines how the president is perceived. Trump isn't special because his crisis was a virus. He could have just as well taken a strong early stand on corona, started national testing and quarantine early on, provided leadership and direction for the country, etc. etc. and his employment numbers would look insanely better than they do now. The reason our current unemployment has gone so high is partially because we haven't had a competent national response. Instead he handled it poorly, attacked the news, advised states to stop testing so his numbers wouldn't look so bad, bought into every conspiracy theory under the sun, etc. etc. Presidents face challenges, and he is not sunk by challenges out of his control, he's sunk by his response to the challenges. Trump basically took the worst possible course of action at every opportunity.

Not all presidents face equally large challenges. For example, Clinton definitely caught better, less challenging times than Obama.

Unemployment isnt looking better in other industrialized countries. Your claim that unemployment (in the literal meaning of the word) is so high in the U.S. because of the bad national response is just not true.

And it goes without saying that, if Trump had issued strict, nationwide lockdowns early on, Democrats and the mainstream media would have been far more critical of these exact measures that they instead ended up cherishing. They'd have insinuated that Trump has gone full authoritarian, speculated that he might use it as a pretense to call off the election and establish permanent martial law, yadayada.

Anyway, to get back to my original point: I dont dispute that Trump botched the response to the pandemic in a lot of crucial ways, and that both the country and his reelection prospects took a hit because of these mistakes. My point, however, is that this crisis is so huge that he'd still be in deep deep trouble even if he had nailed the response. At the moment, he's so far underwater that only a single, orange curl of hair is still looking out. But even with a perfect response, the water would still reach up to the tip of his nose.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 26 2020 04:12pm
Gold: 285.00
Jun 26 2020 04:44pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 26 2020 05:21pm)

https://i.imgur.com/pcxlk8K.png

Hope Trump can so as well as Obama with that chart, ouch.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev11161171181191201036Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll