d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Joe Biden 2020 Thread
Prev11091101111121131036Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 21.93
Jun 19 2020 04:41am
Quote (Ghot @ Jun 19 2020 07:20pm)
THAT is a fact. It's a sick society that forces people to stay alive, so they can pay more hospital bills. :/

/e My father spent 4.5 years in a wheel chair after his 2nd stroke. Numb on one side, paralyzed on the other. I definitely would not want to go through that.

Grandfather, Parkinson's + Alzheimer's.
He had a stroke also.

This post was edited by Plaguefear on Jun 19 2020 04:43am
Gold: 10,485.00
Jun 19 2020 04:51am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Jun 19 2020 06:41am)
Grandfather, Parkinson's + Alzheimer's.
He had a stroke also.

Euthanasia should be legal.
Gold: 12,730.67
Jun 19 2020 12:38pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 18 2020 09:44pm)
Well, Trump has botched his part of the coronavirus response and was on the wrong side of public opinion in the aftermath of George Floyd. More generally, these two current crises raise the importance of the topics of 'healthcare' and 'racial relations', which are quite literally his worst two issues. On top of that, the coronavirus pandemic has shredded his strongest selling argument, the booming economy, through no fault of his own.

Trump was very lucky throughout his first 3 years in office when it comes to external crises, but now he got hit by a huge, nasty double whammy with which any incumbent would have struggled.
The point I'm tryign to make is that Trump is quite clearly at a low point right now, and that it is reasonable to expect him to rebound quite a bit.

I think those numbers are good and roughly show where America is standing right now. If the election was held next Tuesday, Trump would imho indeed lose in a landslide. But like I said, there is plenty of reason to expect him to close the gap over the coming months. And in that case, those battleground polls show that Trump will once again hold a distinct advantage in the electoral college.

For example, according to these polls, Arizona is still 4.9% to the right of the nation as a whole, while it was R+5.5 in 2016. So the talk about how Arizona has shifted massively to the left seems overblown to me. From a strategic "where will the electoral college be if the race tightens"-point of view, the only really worrisome number in there for Trump is Florida. (And note that if it doesnt tighten, then he's toast anyway...) This might reflect Biden's relative strength with voters 65+, and how Trump has lost ground with this block since corona. I'm sceptical that this will stick though.

On the flip side, I'm surprised by those Pennsylvania numbers. With Biden being from the state and being less toxic to white working-class voters, I would have expected him to be a better fit for PA than Clinton was. Instead, those polls suggest hat PA has moved further to the right since 2016. Back then, it was R+2.8, now it stands at R+3.7. This is particularly strange since Michigan and Wisconsin have moved to the left. (MI from R+2.3 in 2016 to D+1.2, WI from R+2.9 to R+2.3.)

This is a low point for Trump and I think he'll recover some. Florida is interesting because a lot of Puerto Ricans became permanent residents in Florida. Combine that with convicted felons being able to vote and I think that's enough to permanently shift Florida by a little bit.

I'm with you on Arizona. That would be a pretty remarkable change but Virginia changed quickly too. The Kelly vs. McSally race will also have a substantial impact as well I think.

Nate Silver is perplexed by PA and MI as well. Why would Michigan go further blue but Pennsylvania go further to the right? Is PA more like Ohio? Is it polling error? It's difficult to say.
Gold: 23.00
Jun 19 2020 12:42pm
I live in PA. Nobody outside of Philly and Pittsburgh supports Biden. His stance on firearms ruined his chances in rural PA.
Gold: 4,404.67
Jun 19 2020 07:29pm
Quote (fuzzy159 @ 19 Jun 2020 20:42)
I live in PA. Nobody outside of Philly and Pittsburgh supports Biden. His stance on firearms ruined his chances in rural PA.

But hasnt PA outside of Philly and Pittsburgh always been deep red territory? I mean, they literally call it "Pennsyltucky"...
This has never stopped Democrats from winning the state though, since half the state's population lives in these two metros. Trump only won in 2016 because of disparate turnout. If Biden gets good turnout in Philly and Pittsburgh (and the nearby suburbs), then Trump can get as much turnout and margins out of the rural and exurban parts of the state as he wants, it still wont be enough.

Quote (thundercock @ 19 Jun 2020 20:38)
This is a low point for Trump and I think he'll recover some. Florida is interesting because a lot of Puerto Ricans became permanent residents in Florida. Combine that with convicted felons being able to vote and I think that's enough to permanently shift Florida by a little bit.

I'm with you on Arizona. That would be a pretty remarkable change but Virginia changed quickly too. The Kelly vs. McSally race will also have a substantial impact as well I think.

Nate Silver is perplexed by PA and MI as well. Why would Michigan go further blue but Pennsylvania go further to the right? Is PA more like Ohio? Is it polling error? It's difficult to say.

What's strange to me about Florida is how the GOP has consistently eked out wins there up until (and including) 2018, and now the state is suddenly supposed to have moved to the left all of a sudden because of Puerto Ricans and former felons? That imho doesnt make a lot of sense. The much more easy and straightforward explanation for those FL polls is that the state's older voters as well as its nonwhites turned a bit on Trump and the GOP over his (and DeSantis') handling of the pandemic. In that case, the shift should revert back almost entirely over time.

Regarding Arizona: I dont think that the down ballot senatorial race can have a big impact on the top of the ballot presidential race. Particularly if the RNC decides to cull McSally, which seems a strong possibility imho. Kelly is just too strong and McSally too weak, and there are more important races to win. It might sound strange, but I think Collins in Maine has a better chance of retaining her seat than McSally.

If the GOP gives up on Gardner and McSally, they can shore up all resources on Collins, Ernst and Burr. By picking up Jones' seat in Alabama, they'd stand at 52 in that scenario, so they could even afford to lose one of those 3 races and still hold the Senate. Making sure that Biden cant govern through if he wins imho is the top strategic goal of the GOP this election, it's imho even more important than getting Trump reelected.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 19 2020 07:31pm
Jun 19 2020 07:47pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 19 2020 09:29pm)
But hasnt PA outside of Philly and Pittsburgh always been deep red territory? I mean, they literally call it "Pennsyltucky"...
This has never stopped Democrats from winning the state though, since half the state's population lives in these two metros. Trump only won in 2016 because of disparate turnout. If Biden gets good turnout in Philly and Pittsburgh (and the nearby suburbs), then Trump can get as much turnout and margins out of the rural and exurban parts of the state as he wants, it still wont be enough.

PA population: 12.8 mill

Total Pittsburgh and Philly population: 2 mill

Of the people I know in the Pittsburgh area, I'd say 65-70% will vote Dem.

Jun 19 2020 09:20pm
Quote (Ghot @ 20 Jun 2020 03:47)

Of the people I know in the Pittsburgh area, I'd say 65-70% will vote Dem.

You have to include the whole metro area, not just he core cities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas

According to this list, Philly metro has ~6m and Pittsburgh metro around 2m people. Now, the definition of those metro areas is relatively wide, so there will be some exurbs included in these numbers which politically lean republican. And some parts of metro Philly lie outside of the PA state borders. So all in all, what I said is about right: these two metro areas will have around 6-7m people between them, which is half the population of the state.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 19 2020 09:21pm
Jun 19 2020 09:33pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 19 2020 11:20pm)
You have to include the whole metro area, not just he core cities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas

According to this list, Philly metro has ~6m and Pittsburgh metro around 2m people. Now, the definition of those metro areas is relatively wide, so there will be some exurbs included in these numbers which politically lean republican. And some parts of metro Philly lie outside of the PA state borders. So all in all, what I said is about right: these two metro areas will have around 6-7m people between them, which is half the population of the state.

Bro... I'm from PA, born and raised. In that Wikipedia link, those 6 mill people are from: Philadelphia-Reading-Camden, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA. That's 4 states and TWO cities in PA.

/e And for Pittsburgh... that 2 million is from 3 states.

This is accurate...

This post was edited by Ghot on Jun 19 2020 09:34pm
Gold: 57.00
Jun 23 2020 06:19pm

this isn't funny anymore

https://www.al.com/birmingham-news-stories/2013/05/bull_connor_used_fire_hoses_po.html

the event Biden is mentioning happened in 1963, where a (D) elected official of the same vein as Robert Byrd (D) committed a horrific act against minorities. he said he remembered 'watching it in grade school'. Biden was born in November of 1942..so he was 20 at the time.
MAY 3, 1963 -- With an estimated 40 percent of the student body at the all-black Parker High School skipping class to protest and the Birmingham City Jail filled beyond capacity, Birmingham Public Safety Commissioner Bull Connor (D) ordered the use of fire hoses and police dogs on the protestors.

This post was edited by excellence on Jun 23 2020 06:21pm
Jun 23 2020 11:05pm
Quote (excellence @ 24 Jun 2020 02:19)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evNBW6OGjeQ

this isn't funny anymore

https://www.al.com/birmingham-news-stories/2013/05/bull_connor_used_fire_hoses_po.html

the event Biden is mentioning happened in 1963, where a (D) elected official of the same vein as Robert Byrd (D) committed a horrific act against minorities. he said he remembered 'watching it in grade school'. Biden was born in November of 1942..so he was 20 at the time.
MAY 3, 1963 -- With an estimated 40 percent of the student body at the all-black Parker High School skipping class to protest and the Birmingham City Jail filled beyond capacity, Birmingham Public Safety Commissioner Bull Connor (D) ordered the use of fire hoses and police dogs on the protestors.

Am I the only one who thinks that it's less than flattering for Biden to be paired with Obama in some sense? I mean... for those who really liked Obama, pairing Biden with him is probably effective and boosts their enthusiasm and potentially their turnout. But for those who either dislked him or were meh about him, associating Biden with him might have the opposite effect.

It's like... even in his prime, Biden wasnt good enough to do more than playing second fiddle to someone else, and now that he's visibly and undeniably deteriorated, he's still the best the Democratic party has to offer and we're supposed to take him seriously as a "1A" solution? Pairing Biden with Obama reminds everyone of this painful truth. It reminds everyone that the guy the Democratic party actually would like to nominate, the guy who is still the true leader of the party, is Obama.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 23 2020 11:26pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev11091101111121131036Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll