d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Voter Id Good Idea? Or Illegal Poll Tax? > Decisions Are Across The Board
Prev11011121314Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,933.00
Oct 26 2014 09:27pm
Quote (Pollster @ Oct 26 2014 10:19pm)
Derp.

Indeed.
Gold: 0.00
Oct 27 2014 02:13pm
Quote (Pollster @ Oct 26 2014 10:19pm)
Love the hurr durring over the new "study." The best part is that it completely takes a big shit on voter ID laws, though there's quite a large line for that.

What is left unstated in the article (and by you, of course) is that it actually casts a light on how many non-citizens are able to acquire photo ID which qualifies as ID for voting purposes.
Gold: 12,730.67
Oct 27 2014 08:01pm
Quote (Pollster @ Oct 26 2014 07:19pm)
We already have voter ID procedures in place in the states. That's old news. What's being pushed now isn't "voter ID," it's "photo ID" (in name only) and its purpose isn't to raise the integrity of elections but to suppress the vote of certain racial and age demographics. America isn't behind, we manage elections fine in this country so long as Republican incumbents aren't playing games with voting locations/hours or putting up other barriers to make voting harder for people that they don't want to vote. The rest of the world's elections are more efficient because the people don't have to put up with the type of bullshit that our people do, all because some incumbents tasked with overseeing elections do pathetic things on account of their own insecurity, and the fear that they can't get reelected or their colleagues elected on their merits alone.

Sure, call it photo ID. Regardless, many European, South American, and Asian countries have it (for good reason). The fact that I can literally go to any precinct in California, look at the list of voters, and say "yea, I'm that guy" shows that the system can be exploited. Some form of tamper proof identification is necessary. For that tiny minority that don't have a Social Security card, Driver's license, birth certificate, etc. give it to them for free. This really isn't that hard.

I really don't see why I couldn't swipe my driver's license, passport, etc. and have my personal ballot pop up on a screen. If you gave me a link to the CA voter registration database, I could design the system in a fucking day. It really is a trivial task.

This post was edited by thundercock on Oct 27 2014 08:01pm
Oct 28 2014 01:07am
Inappropriate Post Content
Oct 28 2014 01:11am
Inappropriate Post Content
Gold: 20.31
Oct 28 2014 02:37am
Quote (thundercock @ Oct 27 2014 07:01pm)
Sure, call it photo ID. Regardless, many European, South American, and Asian countries have it (for good reason). The fact that I can literally go to any precinct in California, look at the list of voters, and say "yea, I'm that guy" shows that the system can be exploited. Some form of tamper proof identification is necessary. For that tiny minority that don't have a Social Security card, Driver's license, birth certificate, etc. give it to them for free. This really isn't that hard.

I really don't see why I couldn't swipe my driver's license, passport, etc. and have my personal ballot pop up on a screen. If you gave me a link to the CA voter registration database, I could design the system in a fucking day. It really is a trivial task.

But you can't do that. You're still going to need to know which polling place that "random guy" is supposed to go to in order to vote, and know the valid address, and will still need the name to be in the roster of voters in the first place. There are other things too that depend on the state, but you get the point. This "herp fucking derp, look how easy it is to exploit the system" nonsense is exactly why everyone laughs off the morons who are pushing these voter ID laws and their trumped-up concerns. You've got to deal within the confines of reality here.

I agree that it's not hard to modernize the process and make it better. As I've pointed out to you many times, the problem is that we're not even able to have that discussion in this country yet because this nonsense is still dominating the discussion, all because we need to coddle insecure Republicans who can't reliably compete in elections any longer. We can look to certain states for options on how to move forward but unfortunately our progress is predictably confined to states with large Democratic majorities who are trying to get this done, and even after they're able to enact sensible reform we all have to sit through another one of Megyn Kelly's Fox News Fantasy Land rants about how there's widespread "fraud" that we never get any real evidence of. At worst we get absolutely nothing, at best we get "studies" (pause for laughter) like this.
Gold: 25.00
Oct 28 2014 05:32am
Quote (Pollster @ Oct 28 2014 03:37am)
But you can't do that. You're still going to need to know which polling place that "random guy" is supposed to go to in order to vote, and know the valid address, and will still need the name to be in the roster of voters in the first place. There are other things too that depend on the state, but you get the point. This "herp fucking derp, look how easy it is to exploit the system" nonsense is exactly why everyone laughs off the morons who are pushing these voter ID laws and their trumped-up concerns. You've got to deal within the confines of reality here.

I agree that it's not hard to modernize the process and make it better. As I've pointed out to you many times, the problem is that we're not even able to have that discussion in this country yet because this nonsense is still dominating the discussion, all because we need to coddle insecure Republicans who can't reliably compete in elections any longer. We can look to certain states for options on how to move forward but unfortunately our progress is predictably confined to states with large Democratic majorities who are trying to get this done, and even after they're able to enact sensible reform we all have to sit through another one of Megyn Kelly's Fox News Fantasy Land rants about how there's widespread "fraud" that we never get any real evidence of. At worst we get absolutely nothing, at best we get "studies" (pause for laughter) like this.

Because that information is hard to obtain?...
All I have to do is go to my county's boe website and type in a name. It gives me the precinct. The polling location. The persons address and voter registration number. As well as all relevent district information. It takes maybe 3 seconds max to find out everything you need to know to vote as someone else.
Gold: 0.76
Oct 28 2014 07:21am
Quote (Mangix @ 28 Oct 2014 06:32)
Because that information is hard to obtain?...
All I have to do is go to my county's boe website and type in a name. It gives me the precinct. The polling location. The persons address and voter registration number. As well as all relevent district information. It takes maybe 3 seconds max to find out everything you need to know to vote as someone else.

instead of swiping cards why not implanted micro-chips that use gps to constantly update your current address and polling place, they could be read by scanner like the airport security ones this would eliminate polling judges and old voting machines you could just push a couple buttons and be off in seconds with your vote instantly tallied in a database somewhere.
Gold: 285.00
Oct 28 2014 07:29am
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Oct 28 2014 08:21am)
instead of swiping cards why not implanted micro-chips that use gps to constantly update your current address and polling place, they could be read by scanner like the airport security ones this would eliminate polling judges and old voting machines you could just push a couple buttons and be off in seconds with your vote instantly tallied in a database somewhere.

It isn't like those chips could be used for anything else.

I think we're ultimately protected by our government by their inability to do anything.

Like faking a moon landing...the White House couldn't cover up a break in at a shitty hotel, could it have faked a moon landing? Fuck no, we definitely landed on it.

Imagine 320 million moving lights on a map of the United States? You'd see a bunch of empty areas and tight dense clusters in other areas. It would be a completely useless waste of time for them, but a conspiracy nutters ultimate fantasy.

This post was edited by Skinned on Oct 28 2014 07:29am
Gold: 8,933.00
Oct 28 2014 07:42am
Quote (Pollster @ Oct 28 2014 03:37am)

Your inner moron is showing again. If you can do better, hop to it. Because the data presented indicate nearly 3/4 of a million non citizens nationwide voted in 2008, and nearly 1 & 3/4 million are registered to vote.

Is it any wonder why Democrats resist border control furiously?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev11011121314Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll