d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Joe Biden 2020 Thread
Prev11081091101111121036Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Jun 18 2020 09:26pm
Quote (Giannis @ Jun 18 2020 10:25pm)
Yes and a hammer is a tool that can't sand the floor, so when I need to sand the floor I'll ignore the hammer. Like how hard is this for you?

So then your position is that Twitter can never be used to improve your chances to get elected, in any amount?
Gold: 50.00
Jun 18 2020 09:28pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 18 2020 10:26pm)
So then your position is that Twitter can never be used to improve your chances to get elected, in any amount?

My position is that Twitter is negligible
Gold: 4,404.67
Jun 18 2020 10:44pm
Quote (thundercock @ 19 Jun 2020 01:15)
So 538 has their poll tracker up and running now: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/national/

Biden is up 8.8 nationally which is pretty large (roughly on par with Clinton vs. Dole). One more point up and you're looking at Reagan vs. Carter. Anyway, that doesn't matter right now because you want to look at polling in swing states. Here is a run down of where we're at now:

Arizona is +3.9 for Biden
Florida is +6.8 for Biden
Georgia is +0.8 for Biden
Iowa is +0.7 for Trump
Michigan is averaging +10 for Biden
Nevada is +7.9 for Biden
New Hampshire is +7.2 for Biden
North Carolina is +2.8 for Biden
Ohio is +2.6 for Biden
Pennsylvania is +5.1 for Biden
Texas is +0.8 for Trump
Wisconsin is averaging +6.5 for Biden

If the election were held today, you would see a 368-170 landslide victory. If Biden pulls off Texas, you're looking at 400+ electoral votes. The fact that Texas, Iowa, and Georgia are in play right now is an unmitigated disaster for the Trump campaign.

In order to make this competitive, Trump needs to increase his polling average by about 5 points. If Biden is only up by 4-5% nation wide, Trump has a very real possibility of pulling off an electoral win.

Well, Trump has botched his part of the coronavirus response and was on the wrong side of public opinion in the aftermath of George Floyd. More generally, these two current crises raise the importance of the topics of 'healthcare' and 'racial relations', which are quite literally his worst two issues. On top of that, the coronavirus pandemic has shredded his strongest selling argument, the booming economy, through no fault of his own.

Trump was very lucky throughout his first 3 years in office when it comes to external crises, but now he got hit by a huge, nasty double whammy with which any incumbent would have struggled.
The point I'm tryign to make is that Trump is quite clearly at a low point right now, and that it is reasonable to expect him to rebound quite a bit.

I think those numbers are good and roughly show where America is standing right now. If the election was held next Tuesday, Trump would imho indeed lose in a landslide. But like I said, there is plenty of reason to expect him to close the gap over the coming months. And in that case, those battleground polls show that Trump will once again hold a distinct advantage in the electoral college.

For example, according to these polls, Arizona is still 4.9% to the right of the nation as a whole, while it was R+5.5 in 2016. So the talk about how Arizona has shifted massively to the left seems overblown to me. From a strategic "where will the electoral college be if the race tightens"-point of view, the only really worrisome number in there for Trump is Florida. (And note that if it doesnt tighten, then he's toast anyway...) This might reflect Biden's relative strength with voters 65+, and how Trump has lost ground with this block since corona. I'm sceptical that this will stick though.

On the flip side, I'm surprised by those Pennsylvania numbers. With Biden being from the state and being less toxic to white working-class voters, I would have expected him to be a better fit for PA than Clinton was. Instead, those polls suggest hat PA has moved further to the right since 2016. Back then, it was R+2.8, now it stands at R+3.7. This is particularly strange since Michigan and Wisconsin have moved to the left. (MI from R+2.3 in 2016 to D+1.2, WI from R+2.9 to R+2.3.)

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 18 2020 10:46pm
Gold: 6,061.70
Jun 19 2020 02:11am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 18 2020 09:44pm)
Well, Trump has botched his part of the coronavirus response and was on the wrong side of public opinion in the aftermath of George Floyd. More generally, these two current crises raise the importance of the topics of 'healthcare' and 'racial relations', which are quite literally his worst two issues. On top of that, the coronavirus pandemic has shredded his strongest selling argument, the booming economy, through no fault of his own.

Trump was very lucky throughout his first 3 years in office when it comes to external crises, but now he got hit by a huge, nasty double whammy with which any incumbent would have struggled.
The point I'm tryign to make is that Trump is quite clearly at a low point right now, and that it is reasonable to expect him to rebound quite a bit.

I think those numbers are good and roughly show where America is standing right now. If the election was held next Tuesday, Trump would imho indeed lose in a landslide. But like I said, there is plenty of reason to expect him to close the gap over the coming months. And in that case, those battleground polls show that Trump will once again hold a distinct advantage in the electoral college.

For example, according to these polls, Arizona is still 4.9% to the right of the nation as a whole, while it was R+5.5 in 2016. So the talk about how Arizona has shifted massively to the left seems overblown to me. From a strategic "where will the electoral college be if the race tightens"-point of view, the only really worrisome number in there for Trump is Florida. (And note that if it doesnt tighten, then he's toast anyway...) This might reflect Biden's relative strength with voters 65+, and how Trump has lost ground with this block since corona. I'm sceptical that this will stick though.

On the flip side, I'm surprised by those Pennsylvania numbers. With Biden being from the state and being less toxic to white working-class voters, I would have expected him to be a better fit for PA than Clinton was. Instead, those polls suggest hat PA has moved further to the right since 2016. Back then, it was R+2.8, now it stands at R+3.7. This is particularly strange since Michigan and Wisconsin have moved to the left. (MI from R+2.3 in 2016 to D+1.2, WI from R+2.9 to R+2.3.)

Heathcare: A service based on both physical and production-based labor. Everything involved requires compensation. Taxing the young to pay for the old doesn't help the young. How EXACTLY is healthcare not Trump's strong suit? Why should a 20, 30, 40, 50 year old pay six figures a month for some random 90 year old who wants to live one more month? Why are WE supposed to pay for THEM to be afraid that much longer?

Racial Relations: Obama primed the public to be suspicious of anyone not black for 8 years. Now, any time any black person is killed, even by other black people, it's because racism. What? What does Trump have to do with fuckall?
Gold: 21.93
Jun 19 2020 02:40am
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Jun 19 2020 06:11pm)
Heathcare: A service based on both physical and production-based labor. Everything involved requires compensation. Taxing the young to pay for the old doesn't help the young. How EXACTLY is healthcare not Trump's strong suit? Why should a 20, 30, 40, 50 year old pay six figures a month for some random 90 year old who wants to live one more month? Why are WE supposed to pay for THEM to be afraid that much longer?

Racial Relations: Obama primed the public to be suspicious of anyone not black for 8 years. Now, any time any black person is killed, even by other black people, it's because racism. What? What does Trump have to do with fuckall?

Six figures a month? You need to nationalise healthcare, i pay about $60 a week.
Gold: 4,404.67
Jun 19 2020 03:03am
Quote (Plaguefear @ 19 Jun 2020 10:40)
Six figures a month? You need to nationalise healthcare, i pay about $60 a week.

He's talking about end of life care for morbidly sick 90 year olds. Six figures per month might be a big excessive, but this type of patient does indeed create huge costs. Five figure costs a month is totally realistic for these patients.
He's basically touching the subject of overtreatment in really old patients, which is a valid issue, but talks about it in a really tasteless "can we pull the plug already"-way. ;)

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 19 2020 03:03am
Gold: 17,384.69
Jun 19 2020 03:05am
Quote (InsaneBobb @ 19 Jun 2020 10:11)

Once these values are lost you can also expect to fall into some kind of authoritarianship where you will have an inplant in the butt injecting your amphetamines & hormones and forcing you to work 16h/24h 365/365 until prematury death.

This post was edited by Saucisson6000 on Jun 19 2020 03:06am
Gold: 21.93
Jun 19 2020 03:10am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 19 2020 07:03pm)
He's talking about end of life care for morbidly sick 90 year olds. Six figures per month might be a big excessive, but this type of patient does indeed create huge costs. Five figure costs a month is totally realistic for these patients.
He's basically touching the subject of overtreatment in really old patients, which is a valid issue, but talks about it in a really tasteless "can we pull the plug already"-way. ;)

Legalise euthanasia, half of these people do not want to be kept alive.
Gold: 17,384.69
Jun 19 2020 03:14am
Quote (Plaguefear @ 19 Jun 2020 11:10)

eutha-bullets are 100% reimbursed
Gold: 10,485.00
Jun 19 2020 03:20am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Jun 19 2020 05:10am)

THAT is a fact. It's a sick society that forces people to stay alive, so they can pay more hospital bills. :/

/e My father spent 4.5 years in a wheel chair after his 2nd stroke. Numb on one side, paralyzed on the other. I definitely would not want to go through that.

This post was edited by Ghot on Jun 19 2020 03:46am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev11081091101111121036Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll