d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Earth Is Flat > Gods Work
Prev1107108109110111Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Aug 24 2016 10:38am
Quote (thesnipa @ Aug 24 2016 02:18am)
Oh goody, we can now add light traveling in space as one of the things CS questions. I'm sure bogus math to prove all of the stars are only a galaxy away is next.

Light waves can travel in a vacuum, that light in a vacuum can travel infinitely is a theory and assumption, look it up. :bonk:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno%27s_paradoxes#Dichotomy_paradox

Dichotomy paradox
That which is in locomotion must arrive at the half-way stage before it arrives at the goal.– as recounted by Aristotle, Physics VI:9, 239b10

Suppose Homer wishes to walk to the end of a path. Before he can get there, he must get halfway there. Before he can get halfway there, he must get a quarter of the way there. Before traveling a quarter, he must travel one-eighth; before an eighth, one-sixteenth; and so on.

And so with this logic, one can never reach their destination since you can do this for infinity -

#infinite travel explained

This post was edited by card_sultan on Aug 24 2016 11:06am
Gold: 4.00
Aug 24 2016 11:04am
Quote (card_sultan @ Aug 24 2016 12:38pm)
Light waves can travel in a vacuum, that light in a vacuum can travel infinitely is a theory and assumption, look it up. :bonk:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno%27s_paradoxes#Dichotomy_paradox

Dichotomy paradox
That which is in locomotion must arrive at the half-way stage before it arrives at the goal.– as recounted by Aristotle, Physics VI:9, 239b10

Suppose Homer wishes to walk to the end of a path. Before he can get there, he must get halfway there. Before he can get halfway there, he must get a quarter of the way there. Before traveling a quarter, he must travel one-eighth; before an eighth, one-sixteenth; and so on.

And so with this logic, one can never reach their destination since you can for this for infinity -

#infinite travel explained

That paradox is more of a thought experiment. We know this because we can in fact travel and successfully reach a destination.

But it doesn't matter what people tel you, you will always disagree because it's the hipster thing to do
Gold: 2,504.69
Aug 24 2016 11:08am
Quote (card_sultan @ Aug 24 2016 10:38am)

ok, so lets assume for a second that a vacuum does have some drag on light as it travels. In either case the drag on light in a vacuum versus the drag on light in a body of water will still be drastically different.

What i mean to say is that your assertion that its fishy that light is stopped by 200 ft of water isn't really grounded IMO. Even if light doesn't travel infinitely in a vacuum it still travels exponentially more efficiently in a vacuum than in water on earth.

To me the only point of fact that matters is that light travels incredibly efficiently through space, and not efficiently through solid objects or liquid objects by comparison. Measuring how light travels through a vacuum would require advanced technology and a perfect vacuum, so of course its an assumption. Even if light doesn't travel infinitely its closer to infinity than it is the measurement from water.
Aug 24 2016 11:09am
Quote (PuA2 @ Aug 24 2016 07:04am)
That paradox is more of a thought experiment. We know this because we can in fact travel and successfully reach a destination.

But it doesn't matter what people tel you, you will always disagree because it's the hipster thing to do

So your trying to be a hipster? Wow your so cool.
Aug 24 2016 11:12am
Quote (card_sultan @ Aug 24 2016 01:09pm)
So your trying to be a hipster? Wow your so cool.

No you are, you literally just say words in an order that you think proves your idea regardless of current facts or that they don't even apply to what you are talking about, used to work with a guy just like you man, I'm so used to this

This post was edited by PuA2 on Aug 24 2016 11:14am
Aug 24 2016 11:16am
Quote (PuA2 @ Aug 24 2016 11:12am)
No you are, you literally just say words in an order that you think proves your idea regardless of current facts or that they don't even apply to what you are talking about, used to work with a guy just like you man, I'm so used to this

was his name PuA?
Aug 24 2016 11:20am
Quote (thesnipa @ Aug 24 2016 01:16pm)
was his name PuA?

Lol no and

I'm callas25 I changed my name to troll pvp east sub forum
Aug 24 2016 11:23am
Quote (PuA2 @ Aug 24 2016 11:20am)
Lol no and

I'm callas25 I changed my name to troll pvp east sub forum

lol i figured you were too smart to be a real member of PuA's Legion.
Aug 24 2016 11:27am
Quote (thesnipa @ Aug 24 2016 07:08am)
ok, so lets assume for a second that a vacuum does have some drag on light as it travels. In either case the drag on light in a vacuum versus the drag on light in a body of water will still be drastically different.

What i mean to say is that your assertion that its fishy that light is stopped by 200 ft of water isn't really grounded IMO. Even if light doesn't travel infinitely in a vacuum it still travels exponentially more efficiently in a vacuum than in water on earth.

To me the only point of fact that matters is that light travels incredibly efficiently through space, and not efficiently through solid objects or liquid objects by comparison. Measuring how light travels through a vacuum would require advanced technology and a perfect vacuum, so of course its an assumption. Even if light doesn't travel infinitely its closer to infinity than it is the measurement from water.

Ok let's suppose a human can run a marathon before he collapses, how far can he run in a vacuum - infinity? Really think about how ridiculous that would be to think that. You think that light infinitely travels effectively through space because that is what you are told to think , that the sun is 93 million miles away, its all assumption, i prefer to believe what i see vs what i am told to think. It depends which you prefer - do you trust a guy in a lab coat more telling you what to think or a guy showing you actual things and teaching you how to think for yourself?

Trust is a funny thing - look at that newscaster Brian Williams - so he couldn't imagine a story from 10 years ago perfectly, doesn't everyone do that? I'm pretty sure that 2 foot fish someone caught will grow to a 4 foot monster of the deep in 30 years, memory is a shifting thing, not some file on a hard drive that can be relooked at in 10 years with the exact same data.

This post was edited by card_sultan on Aug 24 2016 11:33am
Aug 24 2016 11:38am
Quote (card_sultan @ Aug 24 2016 11:27am)
Ok let's suppose a human can run a marathon before he collapses, how far can he run in a vacuum - infinity? Really think about how ridiculous that would be to think that. You think that light infinitely travels effectively through space because that is what you are told to think , that the sun is 93 million miles away, its all assumption, i prefer to believe what i see vs what i am told to think. It depends which you prefer - do you trust a guy in a lab coat more telling you what to think or a guy showing you actual things and teaching you how to think for yourself?

Trust is a funny thing - look at that newscaster Brian Williams - so he couldn't imagine a story from 10 years ago perfectly, doesn't everyone do that? I'm pretty sure that 2 foot fish someone caught will grow to a 4 foot monster of the deep in 30 years, memory is a shifting thing, not some file on a hard drive that can be relooked at in 10 years with the exact same data.

you can't elude to optics and then criticize things the human eye can't observe. sorry. Sometimes you have to trust people who run billion dollar telescopes to make more accurate measurement of how far the sun is away than you can with the naked eye. And sometimes you have to trust people who tell us how far the approximated distance is between objects because they are but one person in a long line of astronomers who have observed and tracked movement of celestial objects for centuries in relation to each other.

It would be great if out 5 senses explained the secrets of the universe down to a microscopic level, they don't.

you mistrust everything you can't see, yet the tests to validate your theories would use many of the same tools.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Aug 24 2016 11:39am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1107108109110111Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll