d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > What Religion Actually Does To People - Part One > Childhood Indoctrination Is Child Abuse
Prev123441Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3,100.00
Jan 21 2015 12:02pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jan 21 2015 12:51pm)
Nope, I dropped out because I couldn't afford it.  I'm starting back in May.

I'm in the sweet spot of financial aid recipients, where my parents can't afford it and Uncle Sam thinks they can.  Good times.

I'm in that spot too, sucks.
Gold: 500.00
Jan 21 2015 12:05pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jan 21 2015 12:44pm)
Definitely not.  Having principles/values that emphasize feelings of victimhood/envy are counterproductive, but having conservative principles of hard work and grit are incredibly beneficial.  The idea of looking to the government when times are tough is completely laughable to me.

every corporate entity that got bailed out would laugh at you for laughing at this

despite how much right wing media perpetuates these myths that all welfare recipients are liberals and all people who have jobs are conservative, the reality is that support for social assistance does not make laziness a liberal principle anymore than opposition against social assistance makes hard work a conservative principle

Gold: 5,016.77
Jan 21 2015 12:23pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Jan 21 2015 01:05pm)
every corporate entity that got bailed out would laugh at you for laughing at this

despite how much right wing media perpetuates these myths that all welfare recipients are liberals and all people who have jobs are conservative, the reality is that support for social assistance does not make laziness a liberal principle anymore than opposition against social assistance makes hard work a conservative principle

I'm not a corporate entity... why would I have their perspective?

I didn't say laziness... I said ideas of victimhood and envy. Can you really tell me with a straight face that the liberal ideology doesn't focus on the perceived "victims" of our society? You think these "victims" don't feel envious towards those of us who have succeeded financially in this society?

I'm approaching this subject from a personal perspective, since that's what we were talking about. The conservative message is a no excuses, non-entitled, get the fuck to work narrative.

E - Glad we could de-rail Scaly's thread. :D

This post was edited by IceMage on Jan 21 2015 12:23pm
Jan 21 2015 12:57pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jan 21 2015 01:23pm)
I'm not a corporate entity... why would I have their perspective?

I didn't say laziness... I said ideas of victimhood and envy.  Can you really tell me with a straight face that the liberal ideology doesn't focus on the perceived "victims" of our society?  You think these "victims" don't feel envious towards those of us who have succeeded financially in this society?

I'm approaching this subject from a personal perspective, since that's what we were talking about.  The conservative message is a no excuses, non-entitled, get the fuck to work narrative.

E - Glad we could de-rail Scaly's thread.  :D

one of the things liberals are concerned about is evening the playing field and a lot of people feel this every day which is why they are on board with things like affirmative action in an america where the odds of a black guy getting a job is just as good as that of a white felon provided that they both have equal qualifications

the conservatives simply deny that the the playing field is uneven to begin with which is why their demographic is largely composed of old white males

it's easy to preach about hard work and making no excuses when you've got quite an advantage over what would have been your competition
Jan 21 2015 01:18pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Jan 21 2015 01:57pm)
one of the things liberals are concerned about is evening the playing field and a lot of people feel this every day which is why they are on board with things like affirmative action in an america where the odds of a black guy getting a job is just as good as that of a white felon provided that they both have equal qualifications

the conservatives simply deny that the the playing field is uneven to begin with which is why their demographic is largely composed of old white males

it's easy to preach about hard work and making no excuses when you've got quite an advantage over what would have been your competition

Conservatives don't deny that some people are racist.. or that lower class people have a disadvantage in life... we just believe it can be overcome.

I didn't get my current job by being white, I got it because of my past experience, my knowledge, and my interviewing skills. I didn't have any advantage over any other race, because my boss isn't racist, and the vast majority of employers are not. I certainly don't live in a liberal state either.
Jan 21 2015 01:37pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jan 21 2015 02:18pm)
Conservatives don't deny that some people are racist.. or that lower class people have a disadvantage in life... we just believe it can be overcome.

I didn't get my current job by being white, I got it because of my past experience, my knowledge, and my interviewing skills.  I didn't have any advantage over any other race, because my boss isn't racist, and the vast majority of employers are not.  I certainly don't live in a liberal state either.

no one is saying your employer is racist, direct discrimination would get him in legal hot water anyway

i'm talking about institutionalized discrimination

and yes this can be certainly overcome but i'm not opposed to introducing measures aimed to correct these obstacles even if the measures themselves are somewhat discriminatory in nature
Jan 21 2015 01:39pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Jan 21 2015 02:37pm)
no one is saying your employer is racist, direct discrimination would get him in legal hot water anyway

i'm talking about institutionalized discrimination

and yes this can be certainly overcome but i'm not opposed to introducing measures aimed to correct these obstacles even if the measures themselves are somewhat discriminatory in nature

Like what?

How did I have "quite an advantage" over a black person with similar experience/knowledge/skills?

This post was edited by IceMage on Jan 21 2015 01:40pm
Jan 21 2015 01:50pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jan 21 2015 02:39pm)
Like what?

How did I have "quite an advantage" over a black person with similar experience/knowledge/skills?

i just mentioned one example with the white felon/black people thing

i'll link you to study later if you're interested, gotta get going right now
Gold: 260.11
Jan 21 2015 02:22pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jan 21 2015 01:39pm)
Like what?

Well for one simply by not having a stereotypically black name you will get called back for a job interview twice as often. That's something....
Gold: 0.00
Jan 21 2015 02:28pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jan 21 2015 02:39pm)
Like what?

I decided to try to work on myself at least by identifying some of the daily effects
of white privilege in my life. I have chosen those conditions which I think in my case
attack some what more to skin-color privilege that to class, religion, ethnic status, or
geographical location, though of course all these other factors are intricately
intertwined. As far as I can see, my African American co-worker, friends and
acquaintances with whom I come into daily or frequent contact in this particular time,
place, and line of work cannot count on most of these conditions.

1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the
time.
2. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing
in an area which I canafford and in which I would want to live.
3. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or
pleasant to me.
4. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be
followed or harassed.
5. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see
people of my race widely represented.
6. When I am told about our national heritage or about “civilization,” I am shown
that people of my color made it what it is.
7. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the
existence of their race.
8. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white
privilege.
9. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race
represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my
cultural traditions, into a hairdresser’s shop and find someone who can cut my
hair.
10. Whether I checks, credit cards, or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work
against the appearance of financial reliability.
11. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not
like them.
12. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without
having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty, or the
illiteracy of my race.
13. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.
14. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.
15. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.
16. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color who
constitute the world’s majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such
oblivion.
17. I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and
behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.
18. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to “the person in charge,” I will be facing
a person of my race.
19. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I
haven’t been singled out because of my race.
20. I can easily buy posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys,
and children’s magazine featuring people of my race.
21. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling
somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard,
held at a distance, or feared.
22. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having co-workers
on the job suspect that I got it because of race.
23. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race
cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places I have chosen.
24. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against
me.
25. If my day, week, or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode
or situation whether it has racial overtones.
26. I can choose blemish cover or bandages in “flesh” color and have them more or
less match my skin.

Taken from: https://www.isr.umich.edu/home/diversity/resources/white-privilege.pdf

This post was edited by -Kenny on Jan 21 2015 02:28pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123441Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll