d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > How To Get To Heaven When You Die
Prev123479Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 186.16
Mar 10 2012 07:16pm
I never said that baptism was needed to enter heaven. I said that baptism cannot get you there.
Gold: 152.00
Mar 10 2012 07:16pm
Quote (xfrodobagginsx @ Mar 10 2012 08:05pm)
Well, no one can force another person to become a Christian.  This isn't Islam. In order to become a Christian, one must accept Jesus Christ willingly from their heart.  Just saying the words isn't enough.  God knows your heart.  Romans is a great place to start for people wanting to learn about how to get to heaven.

Wow that's not at all offensive to Muslims, you bigot.
Mar 10 2012 07:18pm
[QUOTE=Voyaging,Mar 11 2012 01:16am]Wow that's not at all offensive to Muslims, you bigot.[/QUOT

Does it bother you when muslims murder Christians in other countries as much as it bothers you that I said "This isn't Islam"? Is what I've said true or false?
Mar 10 2012 07:19pm
Quote (bigbody989 @ Mar 11 2012 01:16am)
Yeah but what is baptism? Being dunked under water? "Cleansing yourself" in Christ?

Baptism is a picture of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It's something we do after salvation to publically profess Jesus.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 0.00
Trader: Trusted
Mar 10 2012 07:19pm
Quote (bigbody989 @ Mar 10 2012 09:16pm)
Yeah but what is baptism? Being dunked under water? "Cleansing yourself" in Christ?

Essentially. It's mostly a symbolic gesture (dying in sin and being raised anew). That's where the "born-again" name comes from. But based on scripture you also receive the gift of the Holy Spirit through baptism (and repentance). So according to how I interpret the scriptures, baptism is essential to salvation. But of course denominations formed over this issue and not everyone agrees.
Mar 10 2012 07:23pm
Quote (Dune1 @ Mar 11 2012 01:19am)
Essentially.  It's mostly a symbolic gesture (dying in sin and being raised anew).  That's where the "born-again" name comes from.  But based on scripture you also receive the gift of the Holy Spirit through baptism (and repentance).  So according to how I interpret the scriptures, baptism is essential to salvation.  But of course denominations formed over this issue and not everyone agrees.

According to scripture, it's not part of our salvation. That's why paul said "1Co 1:17 ¶ For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect."
It is the Gosel that saves Ro 1:16 ¶ For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Retired Moderator
Mar 10 2012 07:28pm
Quote (xfrodobagginsx @ Mar 10 2012 09:23pm)
According to scripture, it's not part of our salvation.  That's why paul said "1Co 1:17 ¶ For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect." 
It is the Gosel that saves Ro 1:16 ¶ For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

The cool thing about the bible is when you keep it all in context.. it makes more sense. You can't just pick scriptures out to battle other scriptures. If it were not essential, Jesus wouldn't of said it to the apostles during the great commission.

Matthew 28:16-20
New International Version (NIV)
The Great Commission

16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

And it also was a commandment during the day of Pentecost -

38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

Not to mention the fact that almost every conversion story in the NT ended with a baptism.. so yeah. Seems pretty essential to me. You can't receive the Holy Spirit with out (according to Act 2:38).. so...

Mar 10 2012 07:32pm
Quote (Dune1 @ Mar 11 2012 01:28am)
The cool thing about the bible is when you keep it all in context.. it makes more sense.  You can't just pick scriptures out to battle other scriptures.  If it were not essential, Jesus wouldn't of said it to the apostles during the great commission.

And it also was a commandment during the day of Pentecost -

Not to mention the fact that almost every conversion story in the NT ended with a baptism.. so yeah.  Seems pretty essential to me.  You can't receive the Holy Spirit with out (according to Act 2:38).. so...\

The baptism came AFTER the salvation, because it's the faith that saves, NOT the water.  The baptism is a public profession of faith.  The theif on the cross wasn't baptized.  I know you've heard that before.  If baptism were necessary for salvation, why isn't it even mentioned in 95% of all of passages that address how to be saved?

I'm not denying that they baptized people, but it wasn't for salvation. It is an ordinance like communion. So when you list verses where people were baptized, it doesn't mean that that's the gospel. The Gospel saves that's why Paul said that he wasn't sent to baptize, but to preach the gospel and it says that the gospel is the power of God unto salvation. Why doesn't it include baptism there?

This post was edited by xfrodobagginsx on Mar 10 2012 07:35pm
Retired Moderator
Mar 10 2012 07:36pm
Quote (xfrodobagginsx @ Mar 10 2012 09:32pm)
My response is in bold

Baptisms were not essential before Jesus was saved because JESUS himself could save you. That was what we saw on the cross with the thief. Whether it is mentioned in 95% of all scriptures on how to be saved is irrelevant. The scriptures still mention baptism as the way you get the holy spirit. It also mentions baptism in almost every conversion account. If it were not essential, why did they baptize everyone? Why did Jesus command it during the great commission. Whether baptism was mentioned once, or 100 times in relation to salvation makes no difference. It is mentioned, therefore it must be done. Again we cannot do in the bible what the more "popular" choices are.. We have the read the NT in it's entirety and draw from it what we can.

Quote (xfrodobagginsx @ Mar 10 2012 09:32pm)
I'm not denying that they baptized people, but it wasn't for salvation. It is an ordinance like communion. So when you list verses where people were baptized, it doesn't mean that that's the gospel.  The Gospel saves that's why Paul said that he wasn't sent to baptize, but to preach the gospel and it says that the gospel is the power of God unto salvation.  Why doesn't it include baptism there?

Again, you're refuting the bible, with other parts of the bible. Jesus COMMANDED it and so did Peter during the day of Pentecost. Are you saying those are not relevant? Why doesn't it include it there? Why doesn't it include repentance in areas where it says "confess with your mouth"? Does that mean all you have to do is confess with your mouth and not repent?

This post was edited by Dune1 on Mar 10 2012 07:40pm
Gold: 152.00
Mar 10 2012 07:38pm
Quote (xfrodobagginsx @ Mar 10 2012 08:18pm)
Quote (Voyaging @ Mar 11 2012 01:16am)
Wow that's not at all offensive to Muslims, you bigot.

Does it bother you when muslims murder Christians in other countries as much as it bothers you that I said "This isn't Islam"? Is what I've said true or false?

Does it bother your when Christians murder Muslims in other countries as much as it bothers you that Islam isn't a faith that forces conversion?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123479Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll