d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Graphic Design > Digital Painting Progress Thread
12317Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 16,390.15
Jun 23 2015 04:00pm
Hey guys! I will post all of the digi paints I do here in this thread. Feel free to give me feedback, cnc, etc. MAKE ME BETTER! :banana:

Here is my first painting:

Next I followed a tutorial on how to paint a wolf. I don't feel awesome about it, basically only because I painted the wolf exactly the same way as he did in the tut because I didn't have a grasp on how to blend colors realistically.
I only got to the color blending step, the rest was stupid advanced. I will definitely revisit it, here is how far I got :

Next I took a succulent of my wifes and took a picture of it on a bench. I painted this based off of the picture!

This post was edited by Lwe12345 on Jun 23 2015 04:02pm
Gold: 120.00
Jun 23 2015 10:41pm
1. nice job for a first, very well done I'd say. I'm guessing you have some art background and/or have dabbled in other mediums?

2. Its seems as though you traced a picture of a wolf? and possibly color picked such colors?

3. this is clearly your best yet, line-work is excellent. Very great overall use of photoshop tools. A very unique style.

Please dont every color pick from your reference photo ( as much as you can ). This will vastly improve your eye for correct colors. Tracing isn't cool. Overally, very nice work. I'm going to track this page, which I dont ever, so I want to see lots!

Draw as much as you can.
Jun 24 2015 01:46am
Quote (UncleMuscles @ Jun 23 2015 09:41pm)
1. nice job for a first, very well done I'd say. I'm guessing you have some art background and/or have dabbled in other mediums?

2. Its seems as though you traced a picture of a wolf? and possibly color picked such colors?

3. this is clearly your best yet, line-work is excellent. Very great overall use of photoshop tools. A very unique style.

Please dont every color pick from your reference photo ( as much as you can ). This will vastly improve your eye for correct colors. Tracing isn't cool. Overally, very nice work. I'm going to track this page, which I dont ever, so I want to see lots!

Draw as much as you can.

1. I have not, I started tagging on these forums (I'm sure you remember when I started) before that, from ages 7-12 I drew a lot. I really loved concept art in books and for games. My first time being super inspired was looking at diablo 1s booklet that had the concept art for the characters in it! That was around 1996 or so, so I was 7 or 8. I never took an art class or anything, I just have always loved it and never had the courage to try and actually make something out of it. So here I am, finally doing that!

2. I used the base drawing and drew an incredibly rough outline. I also color picked the colors. It's definitely not something I am super proud of, but all of the lines and coloring and blending I did. We'll say #2 was an exercise in what not to do and nothing more ;)

3. Thanks!! I only color picked from my reference once. I couldn't get the shade of the blinds right, they had this weird blueish tint to them and I didn't have the skill to blend them well while using my own eye for the colors. I ended up not even using the blue I color picked and stuck with grey.
I tried not to pen tool or use shift to create straight lines either. All of the lines in the painting are my own! (I used pentool for the blinds)

I've been doing these every day :

http://imgur.com/a/kMuZh

Also the other day I drew these from a reference :

This post was edited by Lwe12345 on Jun 24 2015 01:46am
Gold: 178.48
Jun 24 2015 06:42am
good stuff.
Gold: 200.00
Jun 24 2015 11:34am
first painting reminds me of TELLTALE games artstyle. Nice.
Gold: 7,300.00
Jun 24 2015 01:59pm
Lwe I love you
Awesome stuff man
Jun 24 2015 03:47pm
Quote (Arcaeus @ Jun 24 2015 12:59pm)
Lwe I love you
Awesome stuff man

:love:
Gold: 0.00
Jun 26 2015 07:12pm
Good stuff, glad to see someone on this forum putting some time into it, hope you keep with it.

Couple things -

You figure drawings show promise, especially for someone new. But you're outlining. You want to have a strict order of operations, by jumping straight into the little anatomy bumps, you're skipping vital decisions. Even starting with just ovals for head, ribcage, and pelvis, and lines for arms and legs is a massive help. We can break it down much more though and get much more accurate if you are interested.

I would recommend you start with value before doing a lot of color stuff, which means greyscale. Values really make any image way more than hue. For example, your wolf reading as flat has nothing to do with colors or it being blue or brown or pink or red. It has to do with the values.

Keep hustling cuz and if you have any more questions or are looking for resources, let us know.
Jun 27 2015 02:19am
Quote (humari @ Jun 26 2015 06:12pm)
Good stuff, glad to see someone on this forum putting some time into it, hope you keep with it.

Couple things -

You figure drawings show promise, especially for someone new. But you're outlining. You want to have a strict order of operations, by jumping straight into the little anatomy bumps, you're skipping vital decisions. Even starting with just ovals for head, ribcage, and pelvis, and lines for arms and legs is a massive help. We can break it down much more though and get much more accurate if you are interested.

I would recommend you start with value before doing a lot of color stuff, which means greyscale. Values really make any image way more than hue. For example, your wolf reading as flat has nothing to do with colors or it being blue or brown or pink or red. It has to do with the values.

Keep hustling cuz and if you have any more questions or are looking for resources, let us know.

Thanks a ton, super helpful

I started a new painting today but I will redo the colors I've done so far in greyscale
Will post in the next day or two
Jun 29 2015 06:38pm
Took a break from my greyscale painting to do this :

Go Back To Graphic Design Topic List
12317Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll