d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Low Level Dueling > Mld [lvl49] Ls Trapper Guide.
12310Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 45,000.19
Warn: 10%
Jul 17 2009 06:45pm
Light Trapper Guide.

There are several builds at 49 that are naturally stronger then most other builds. Light Trapper is one of these stronger builds.
All builds have their strengths and weaknesses. Light Trappers Strengths far outweigh their weaknesses though!

Pro's:

1. Traps auto-target.
2. Lightning Sentry [LS] Traps do massive damage, way more then Fire Traps and are especially effective vs sorc's and chars that dont have alot of life.
3. LS Trappers are great in TVT, Mind Blast and Physic Hammers (and WoF) really assist team mates in conjunction with LS.
4. LS Trappers are great vs nearly every build.
5. LS Trappers can relatively easy get massive stacked res.
6. LS Trappers dont need alot of FHR vs most builds.
7. You dont need massive FHR / FCR to do well.

Con's:

1. Less stun then Wake of Fire.
2. LS take a moment to trigger and it can he hard to hit a running target.
3. LS can be absorbed, just like every elemental attack in the game.
4. low life (around 1k -1.1k)
5. LS Trappers are at a huge disadvantage vs Bowazons.
6. BM ppl can abs you to such an extent that you do no damage.

=====================================================================================================

FCR and FHR

FCR

FCR
174*

Assassins dont really need alot of either FHR or FCR. Aim for 48FHR and 65fcr. with all setups. Examples of gear options when looking for FCR:

Vs Necro: Viper(30fcr)+Circlet(20fcr)+Amulet(10fcr)+Belt(10fcr) Or Viper,Circ,Amulet craft)15+ fcr.
Vs Paladin: (your wearing shaft) Gloves(20fcr)+ring(10fcr)+Circ(20fcr)+Amu(10FCR)+Belt(10fcr). If you need String/TG, you can live without 65 FCR here.
Useful Stash items for FCR: Stealth, Magefists, ThrangOul Goves, FCR ring, FCR Amulet, FCR Belt. Examples of gear options when looking for FHR:

Vs Necro: dual claws, each jewel will have 7fhr. (28fhr) + Belt (24fhr)
Vs Paladin: Spirit (55fhr) ~ you can aim for the next breakpoint here if you desire. +Belt (24fhr) + 1 skiller 12fhr // jewel 7fhr = 86FHR.
Useful Stash Items for FHR: Nokozan Amulet, Bloodfists, Rare dual or tri-res boots with 10fhr.
*i never tried 174 FCR, but its possible. It might help vs Necromancers.

=====================================================================================================

Now for the gear. Some of it will be easy to get, some won't.
The bottom line is you need level 8 BoS (or 42ias) and a minimum of 65fcr vs all builds.

Headgear:

2trap 20fcr 30frw + adds circ / coronet.
Optional: 3trap 20fcr 2 sox (for when you dont need FRW (i.e. vs Paladins, since they will come to YOU).

Temp:
Peasants or a 3trap 30frw circlet (and then uses magefist or ThrangOul instead of frostburns. 65fcr is what to aim for remember.
3trap 30frw (2sox).

Armour:
Vipermagi - This should be your standard armour. Res, +1 skills. i would socket with either a pruby, pskull, psaphire or a res jewel. i have several in stash for all setups.
Shaftstop - vs Paladins and amazons. You can get away without using it vs barbarians but the 30dr really helps. remember: you NEED DR vs PALA & AMA.

Optional:

Stealth (runeword) - Some assassin players like this (FRW FCR etc.) but i tend to stick with viper/shaft.
Res armour vs FoH or Cold sorcs' (x4 30 single res) but you can do without it if you can get res from claws / rest of gear.

I cant imagine you needing any other type of armour. Viper is worn 90% of the time.

Belt:
String of ears. vs Melee classes.
craft 10fcr 24fhr + adds (i use one with 10fcr 24fhr +xx life +xx mana + 30cold res.)
Thundergods, vs FoH or pure TS sorc.

Boots:
Waterwalks : Used to reach 80fr (and good life) vs ESFB's
Sanders : alot of assassin players will wear these, i dont, as i have enough frw already vs barb / ama / melee druid.
Rare : 30frw 10fhr + mana + res(cold res ideally). useful place to get stack res (and fhr).
Craft : 30frw 10fhr +rep life + res (cold res ideally). useful place to get stack res (and rep life)

Gloves:
Trang Oul gloves (for FCR + cold res)
Frostburns (Mana)
Magefist (fcr, mana regen +1 fire skills)

Rings:
95% of the time wear 1 raven + 1Soj. the only time you dont need it is vs PNB necro. (2 Sojs vs Necro)
rare 10fcr + mass mana + str/dex. a great add would be rep life and cold/light res. Vs Foh/BLIZZ/Orber.
(can use ring for added stack and str for TG, the 10fcr +20fcr gloves would replace the 30fcr from viper.)

Amulet:
3trap 100 life
2 trap 10fcr rare or craft.
crafting a 1assa / 2trap Amulet with 15+ fcr would be great. (65% fcr breakpoint) If you can get one with added light or cold res as well, yay!

Weapons:
x2 2assa 3ls Greator Talons

For my build i want at least 1 claw with2assa 3ls 1DF (DragonFlight). the best add to this would be +WoF.
However if you cant get this just put a hard point into the pre-requisits and 1 point in dragon flight. remake when you get the claw.

My primary claw (that i use 90% of the time): 2assa 3ls 1wof 2df 2free sox. (sox with either x2 +30cold + 7fhr etc or x2 30lightres + 7fhr etc.)

provided you have 42% ias (BoS) you dont need ias in any gear.

Adds to include :

+Dragonflight
+Wake of Fire
+2 sox
+Mindblast
+Weapon Block
+Shadow Warrior

Note: The highest claw block is 64% at level 49 and dex doesn't help for clawblock.

Spirit Longsword 35fcr + Insight in stash (+whitstans).

Invent: For your invent there is a cheap version and an expensive version.

Cheap version:
10skillers 1 Trap 30life.
9 sc's 3frw 17 mana.

totalling: +10 lightskills, +300 life, +27frw + 153mana

Expensive version:
4skillers +1/7frw and 6skillers +1/30life
9sc's 20life/17mana.

totalling: +10 lightskills, +28frw, +360life + 153mana

As you can see, you gain +1frw and +60life with the expensive version.
However the price is much much higher!!(sc's 20life/17mana are expensive, 200+ fg compared to 3frw/17mana that you can get 1/10th of that price.)

The Bottom line when it comes to invent: You MUST use 10 Skillers.
Anything less and your Light Sentry will be suffer alot vs Thundergods [Its Absorbs your damage]. You simply cannot afford to go with less damage.

Your Aim is to get as much life above 1K life as possible, and as much mana over 500 as possible, while keeping the maximum amount of +skill

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A quote from a HLD Guide:
"This build is all about mobility. Mobility is critical to beating any casters that are halfway decent.
Without good mobility they will always have a huge advantage over you."

This will become clear when you are dueling fast WW barbs // Necromancers.

1 space free in invent : +3 shadow amulet to prebuff BoS.

With this amulet as a prebuff you gain that little bit extra FRW and it allows for the max cast rate of MindBlast when you are not wearing 2 sojs.
Remember: lvl 8 bos is needed for max trap laying speed with greater talons.

Note: with good switch gear, you will not need to ever change your invent. (resistances).

Skill Placement:

I have DragonFlight from Gear. So i dont skill it.

1 in Claw Mastery
1 in Burst of Speed
1 in Psychic Hammer
1 in Weapon Block
1 in Cloak of Shadows
1 in Shadow Warrior
1 in MindBlast
1 in fire blast
20 in Shock Web
10 in charged bolt
1 in charged Bolt Sentry
20 in Light Senty
1 in Death Sentry

Optional:

1 in Wake of Fire. WoF is good because it really helps with stun. Getting it on your main claw would be ideal.

Note:

Fade is not needed. you are wearing Shaftstop and String vs Physical damage, and you have res claws etc vs elemental.

Hotkeys:

I'm not good enough to dictate how you should have your hotkeys, but there are alot of hotkeys involved for assassins.
What i use on my trappers (LS trapper and WOF trapper) is:

A (DragonFlight)
S (toggle run/walk)
D (MindBlast)
F (Wake of Fire)
G (Light Sentry)
z (Physic hammer)
C ...
V (toggle weapons)
Q (Shadow)
W (Bos)
E ...
R ...

Namelock:

HLD is all about namelock, MLD is not so much (since only sorc's teleport really). However, you have an assassin, and therefore namelock helps, alot.
Things to know: Dragon Flight is like Foh - it auto targets.
(This is good and bad. good : you tele-kick to your opponent. bad : if he has a minion you could tele to the minion by accident (can be fatal).)
I will nearly always try to namelock my opponent with MindBlast / DF. this can set up a chain, especially if your opponent does not have enough FHR.
Note however that DragonFlight does not work if your opponent is off screen. Think of it as a short teleport.

Chains:
Its like a combo in Streetfighter2! with the right fcr/ias and skill, you can chain an opponent until they are dead.
Step 1: DragonFlight the opponent (make sure your shadow is out!)
Step 2: MindBlast
Step 3: WoF
Step 4: If your opponent is moving away, DragonFlight, if not, cast a LS.
Step 5: MindBlast
Step 6: MindBlast/Wof/LS
Step 7: Dragonflight

Standard Tips:

1. Spirit(or claw)/ Shield vs amazon. claw/claw vs (nearly) everything else.
2. Use the map to your advantage. I nearly always like to be below my opponents in 1v1 and tvt.
3. Always recast your shadow if it dies, works especially well vs amazons (it tanks hits for you).
(Note: there is a cool down after casting a shadow, this prevents you from casting another shadow or DF for approx 2seconds.)
4. Remember where all 5 of your traps are - this is the difference between good and great players.
(you can lure opponents back to previous traps)
5. Trap Tip: Cast 5 traps on top of each other and wait for your opponent to teleport close -> Mindblast, traps hit = dead.
6. Trap Tip: Casting a trap at each of the 4 corners of you screen, leave the 5th on you (can be a wof).
(good defensive tip if you need a moment to regroup.)
7. Trap Tip: MB, LS, MB, LS, MB, LS is a easy and effective combination.
8. Wake of Fire really helps with stun, What i did for practice was to use WoF for the entire duel + Dragonflight + MB + Shadow.
(Once you can contineously chain namelock your opponent with DF/WOF/MB, start using light sentry.

Strategies vs the different classes / Builds:

Vs Paladins.

1. All paladins will at some point charge you with an Oath. therefore you need A shield and shaftstop. You will fail too many times without DR.
2. Dual claws with claw block vs paladins just does not cut it (tested).
3. Whitstans (Shael) in conjunction with a a Spirit Longsword is whats needed when the paladin is on top of you. On switch you can have either Insight (if you mana sux) or 2 claws (2/3).
4. Always have your shadow out and ensure BoS is on.
5. Cast 3-4 LS In front of you and 1-2 WoF Behind you. The wof's will knock the paladin AWAY from you.
6. When you sense your opponents approach, switch to spirit/shield slot and cast mindblast at your feet. It works.
7. Vs Hammerdins move a little away from his hammers, while staying close to your traps.
8. Keep mindblast/physic hammering your opponent, recast WoF / Ls when required (practice makes perfect).
9. If dueling vs a FoH paladin, unless you have massive stack your 1 hit dead (after Shadow). These duels will be fast.
However, 2 claws with +60light res is one way to get massive stack.
10. FRW is not needed vs paladins, so you can use a 3trap 20fcr 2 open sox circlet. (socket it with x2 light res, in case he uses foh.)
11. Dont Dragonflight a paladin that is rushing you. Both smite and Hammers hurt. alot.
12. You cannot kill a paladin that uses more then 2 items of +res. i.e. Blackhorns+GA / Blackhorns+TG / GA+TG.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vs ESFB.

Claw/Claw and insight on switch.
1. Randomly placing traps kills sorcs. fact. its sad, but true.
2. Placing traps behind you can be very effective, as well as placing traps in unpredictable locations.
3. Make sure you have at least 80 fire res (wws') after Anya. IF your opponent is above 49...hotspurs.
4. Always have your shadow out and ensure BoS is on.
5. cast wide traps out at the edges of you screen. to regroup - 4 corners trap setup and a 5th in reserve.
6. Chasing sorc's is an option, just be careful to have 2 traps in your screen at all times.
7. Mindblast in conjunction with LS destroys sorcs. Learn to namelock MB.
8. Dragonflighting Sorcs that are low on mana will help to get you back in their face, but be careful - ESFB is a very strong build.
9. wear wws. (+5 max fire res).

vs Blizz.

Claw/Claw setup.
1. See ESFB Strategies
2. A cold sorc @49 can do massive damage. You need cold stack in order to ensure that you are not 1-hit dead. try getting x4 resist claws.
3. Dragonflight works better vs Blizz then vs ESFB. just be careful not to DF into a blizzard.
4. aim for 300 cold res. Gloves, Boots, Ring, amulet, circlet, 2 claws, res jewel in armour, belt...

Vs Frozen Orb.

Claw/Claw setup.
1. See ESFB and Blizz Strategies Strategies, NOTE: YOU NEED STACK.

vs Light Sorc.

Claw/Claw setup
1. See ESFB Strategies
2. Ensure you have about 30 stacked light res in case your opponent is using facets. always keep 2-3 traps close, very similar to an orber.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vs LightTrapper.

The Better player will win.
Claw/Claw setup.
Very boring duels, cast traps, get close, mindblast them before they mind blast you. (sry i dont like these duels!)

Vs Necro.

1. Never give your opponent time to recover. Stay on top of them and be aggresive.
2. Try to lay a trap in the area that you think they will flee in...or force them in that direction.
3. Keep the shadow out at all times
4. If possible cast 1 WoF trap on the far side of your opponent
5. Do not def-whore vs a Necro, you will dis to Invis Bone Spirits.
6. some rep life would help in this duel, as would insight on switch (dual claws on primary).
7. try to corner a necromancer, this is the best way to kill him

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vs Java.

1. Place some Wof's close to you and 1-2 Ls' in your opponents direction. if he gets close, remember to WoF beside you.
2. Cast Physic Hammer/MindBlast if he starts his rush.
3. using Shield / Claw or Shield / Spirit will save you alot of the time vs Light fury. (make sure you have 75 light res!)
4. rep life helps in this duel as well, as does insight if its a long duel.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vs Barb.

1. Aim for 150+ FRW.
2. If the barb does not use tg, hes dead fast. if he does use it, and hes fast, be careful! This could be a long duel.
3. Lay traps, avoid his ww's. Using mindblast and physic hammer helps, but you have to be careful as he can still ww through either.
(I have had more success with physic hammer (instead of MB) as it knocks the barb back a moment.)
4 Try to lure the barbarian into your field of traps. (a line of traps helps).

Note: if the Barb WW Nl's you (he turns invisible and cant break out of NL until he hits you), run off screen and around a corner.
When your happy that you are no longer chased by an invisible tank, go look for your opponent.

Vs BowAmazon.

Amazons have a massive class advantage against you. Every 49'er Bowa is going to have a bow that will savage your character.
They will either have a 8fpa bow (massive damage!) or a 7fpa bow (worse, they fire faster at you).

There are 2 main ways to kill an amazon. neither way will give you a massive level of success though! This will be your hardest matchup.

Option 1: Lay traps on corners of cubes in such a way that the amazon will run into them, cast MB/LS/MB/LS. you might get lucky.
Option 2: Play aggressive and attempt dragonflighting and chainlocking.

1. Always Wear shaft + string.
2. Shield and Df claw in this matchup.
3. Try to put the amazon in a corner (walk your traps to him). if he gets close, or you get close enough to him, dragon flight + MB + WoF + LS.
4. See Stategy vs Necromancers as well.
5. Practice, Practice, Practice.

Note: i tried using x2 +6 venom claws and thrangoul as prebuff vs amazons; forget it, it doesnt work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vs Druid

(i) Rabies
1. Treat like a Ww barb, but you can actually MB/Stun them more. Never try to tank a rabies - remember - he only needs to hit you once.

(ii)Fury
1. Treat like a rabies druid, you wont meet many @49. You should never know he is rabies / fury - dont get hit!

(iii) Nado
1. Wear Shaftstop + string
2. Be careful of their FRW, and if they have + max res, they could actually be dangerous. otherwise they should be one of your easiest opponents.
You wont meet many @49.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Special Thanks to:

Leevolka
Warlocksdad
Wuben
Fraggle
Chis
ibzack

This post was edited by ferdia on Jul 17 2009 06:57pm
Gold: 6,901.36
Warn: 10%
Jul 17 2009 07:00pm
Teleport f1
fireball f2
firebolt f3
tk f4

Gold: 224.00
Jul 18 2009 02:41am
- Few spelling errors.
- Use W/S versus barbs when they are close.
- Still no mention of 67 FCR --> 102 FCR
- Using WoF is nice, but 95% of your duels you can live without.
- Lapras has 1,4K life
- A cold sorc should never be able to get a first hit in.
Gold: 1,465.73
Jul 18 2009 05:28am
Quote (Octogenarian @ Sat, 18 Jul 2009, 02:00)
Teleport f1
fireball f2
firebolt f3
tk f4

TK USELESS! F6
tele f1
met f2
fball f3
fbolt f4
firewall f5!

Quote (Wuben[NM] @ Sat, 18 Jul 2009, 09:41)
- Few spelling errors.
- Lapras has 1,4K life

a blizz sorc can :)

Gold: 0.00
Jul 18 2009 05:49am
Quote (Wuben[NM] @ Sat, Jul 18 2009, 09:41am)
- Few spelling errors.
- Lapras has 1,4K life

u know that lapras>
Gold: 4.01
Jul 18 2009 06:04am
gozu guide ferdi :) <3
Gold: 0.04
Jul 18 2009 08:36am
better guide :)
Banned
Warn: 60%
Jul 18 2009 08:40am
add pics
Jul 18 2009 08:52am
nice guide, one thing though

2tier fc crafted amus are level 51, you can only get 1 assa at 49
Gold: 0.04
Jul 18 2009 08:54am
Quote (PeterBursch @ Sat, Jul 18 2009, 03:40pm)
add pics

vouch
Go Back To Low Level Dueling Topic List
12310Next
Add Reply New Topic