d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Low Level Dueling >
Poll > Lvl 30 Throw Barb > Updated Guide By Montaress
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 5 2009 11:26am
I'm rewriting this guide with more options and more correctly. Thanks for all the comments on the old one.

Lvl 30 thrower barb is a very uncommon character plus it isn't a one hit killer slam end of duel. It is a very hard character to play which requires alot of dueling skills. It won't kill everything like a hdin or a fb sorc. correctly played it is a very fun character though
This kind of barb is very good vs character without high defence such as sorc's, ele druid's and nec's ( that doesn't remake bone armor ). And ofc it is the funniest pub killer around!
I've got a thrower barb, and I love him, he is a really fun character. As I stated before, he WILL not kill everything around, so if you cannot tolerate losing then stop reading now.

FRW = Faster Run Walk
FHR = Faster Hit Recovery
FBR = Faster Block Rate
IAS = Increased Attack Speed
FPA = Frames Per Attack
BO = Battle Orders
WC = Warcry
BP = Breakpoint
RW = Runeword

1) Goals
2) Skills
3) Stats
4) Breakpoints
5) Gear
6) Inventory
7) Strategies
8) Outro

1) Goals

Ur barb will need alot of frw. Frw makes him able to kill casters and other fast characters. You should have atleast 80 from items and inv.
He also need to get atleast 5.0 FPA
Aim for 1,5k life at minimum. You can get way higher with good scs
Aim for 1,3 k + dmg on each weapon
Minimum 7k ar on each weapon
75@ res in normal

Ok, now that I've told you some basic about the thrower barb, let's go deeper in this great build.
2) Skills

You have got 41 skills points when fully rushed to hell with all skill quest's. Now here are the different ways u can place them out:

Combat skills:

1 leap* ( optional, but imo you should put one in it, very usefull vs chargers, casters etc. )
1 bash
1 double swing /* 7 double swing / 8 double swing
1 double throw / 2 double throw ( putting more into double throw only adds ar, putting into double swing gives more dmg. It's a personal choise)

Warcry skills:

1 howl
1 shout
7/8 battle orders ( depends if you skill leap or not)
1 battle comand
Combat Masteries:

1 increased stamina
17 increased speed / 8 increased speed
1 iron skin
1 natural resistance
7 throwing mastery / 16 throwing mastery

You can also choose to put more into Mastery and less into bo if you want more dmg/ar/cs. Or more into bo and less into mastery or max increased speed if u want to be able to catch bowas, and less into bo/maxery etc. You can play around with them a little.

3) Stats

Strenght: enough for gear which will be about 27 ( for twitch. Only if using harpoons that only requires 27 str or lower) if using a high str required barb helm instead of circlet, then you will obviously need to pump this a little. Remember that twitch and sanders gives str
Dexterity: Enough for the harpoons ( 118 ) this will also give u max block of course.
Vitality: Rest goes in here
Energey: None

Optional* Put everything else into dext instead of vita for more dmg.

4) Breakpoints

FHR

With twitch/peace you will only be getting 20 fhr ( +2* 5 fhr scs you will get betting 30 fhr. Hitting 6 frames). You won't really get fhr from anything else. But you could try and hit the 48 % bp (5 frames) by adding a shael in your twitch (if not using peace) or in your circlet (if using peace). But it isn't really needed* ( we will come back to this later )

FBR
The frame we will be aiming at is 42 % FBR (frame 4. You will be achieving this with whistans shaeled or with a 30/20 3 sox kite shield with shael + other jewels
You could also just go for the lower frame ( 5, 20 % FBR ). That way you won't need to sock your shield with anything.

IAS

If you get harpoons without IAS on them, you'll get 5,5 FPA with your 50 ias from items (I'll show where you get this later in the gear section)
However, if one of your harpoons got 30 ias (try getting such) you will have 5.0 FPA. This will help.
(Remember, if using peace u'll get 6.0 FPA without IAS on the harpoons, and 5.5 FPA with IAS on them).
To have 4,5 FPA you need to get 69 ias %.

5) Gear

I will explain why I think you should use what I writte you should use.

Helm:
I think a circlet is the best. Because you can get the 30 frw you need from here, as I stated above, frw is really needed. You should atleast have 1 barb 30 frw + some other minor stats to make the circlet worth wearing.
Try getting one with some of these: mana/life/dext/ar/2 os

The circlet I'm wearing:
(Atm on my ww barb).

You could also get a barb helm with + increased speed + bo + double throw + throw mastery, life,mana , dext , 2 os (Of course not all, you can only have three different skills).
Armor:
Twitch is my personal choise, I think this is better than peace. Because it gives 20 IAS, 20 FHR, 10 str and dext.

You could also use peace armor, it will give you CS (it won't stack when throwing, but it will help when wwing. Alot) CR and FHR

A 3 sox 80 life lp/mp with max dmg jewels won't be good enough to replace twitch/peace.

Amu:
Angelics

Rings:
Angelics

You can choose using 2* Angelic rings, or 1* Angelic and 1* rare with ar, mana, str/dext and res.

Belt:
Death's

Gloves:
Death's
Boots:
Sanders

Shield:
Whistan shael with some max dmg/ar jewel or:
30/20 3 sock kite shield with 1* shael and 2* 20+ max dmg jewels

Weapons:

Now here is the interesting part.

Do not get throwing axes, not worth it. Harpoons are the best throw weapon you can get at this lvl. Good IAS, nice dmg, looks sweet.

Try getting one of them with 30 + ias. The other doesn't matter becasue your main weapon will controll the IAS. On them you should try getting +ar , high ed, maybe + WC/combat skills (if you get both with 2* WC skills you won't need to have +2 WC weapons on swap or prebo if it is allowed on your realm

DO NOT GET ETH/REP! (as your main weapons*) why? Because there are only 80 spears on a harpoon, if you are down to zero, it takes about 15 minutes to get 80 again. And if your dueling, let's say a good fissure dru lvl 30, then you will most likely end up with few spears when the duel is over, and then it isn't fun waiting. U want to be able to repair and duel again whenever you want to.
Sure it gives more dmg which is great, if they were indestructible then eth would be fine (you can't get indestructible, so don't try)
Keep two pairs of good ETH/REP harpoons for the important duels (like priv duels/tourneys etc.)

Your harpoons should atleast have 100+ on throw dmg (as max dmg ofc) and 150+ on the ETH/REP ones. If you get ones with higher dmg, then great for you.

Something really important: If you aren't gonna boost your dext max for more dmg, then have 1* sc with like 3/20/2 dext. That way you'll hit exactly 118 dext (after u've equipped everything). Then the spears will be dext bugged so they'll be invisible when you wear them, but that isn't all! here is why it is good to have that:
When you throw them they are invisible too!! Thus your opponent will be having trouble trying to dogde your spears! Be sure you get exactly 118 and not 2+ over, because it won't work.
Don't think : " hey, I can just get 108 and then sanders will give me 10 dext, then I'll have 118! " NO, you need it from charms! or it won't work.

Swap:

2* Bloodletters one with shael and the other with max/ed jewel. This is very usefull when you are FHR stunned or you need to catch a bow ama or maybe when a charger charges at you. They aren't useless, they will give you about 700 ww dmg each with good charms.

If you don't have harpoons with +WC then keep 2* spirits in your stash for prebo and maybe a +3 bo helm if your doesn't already have it (if it is BM in your realm to prebo, then don't do it in private games)

6) Inventory

If you can afford it then get 40x scs. get 3/xx/15's and 3/xx/3' , imo you should go 50/50 ( don't forget ur 1x 3/xx/2 dext )
If you can't afford that, get Gcs 9-10/xx/20-25 and 7/9-10/xx and the rest scs
If you can't afford that, you could go with plain 15 life scs, but if your that poor this build isn't for you, the barb will suck with plain lifers.

(If your really rich, try getting 30 3/xx/5's and the rest with life, that way you can get alot of FRW, which is needed. With these charms you could also stat some more in throw mastery or anything other you like than increased speed)

7) Strategies

I won't go deep in this.

WhatIi will say:
Run throw run throw, vs chargers or maybe zons you could sometimes swap to blood's and ww. Get shield vs melees
Also remember to use leap, it is very effective (if skilled).

If you have good aim u could be able to kill hdins and other characters that move fast, like sorc's.
A bowa will probably be the hardest character for you, if you see a really gozu one, just save & exit ^^

Imo you should just play alot with him, that is the best strategy, practice practice practice!

8) Outro

Your barb should end with about 1,7 k life ( atleast ) 1,5 k dmg on each spear, 5 FPA, 7k ar, ~200 mana, 170+ frw ( with skill. 230+ with frw scs ), 75@.

I hope this inspires more people to make lvl 30 throw barbs.

Here are some of the usefull links if you want to check IAS/BP's or whatever urself

http://diablo3.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english Ias calculator
http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?act=ST&f=87&t=2450747 FHR/FBR/FCR BP'S
http://www.d2x.dk/ (I know it is a danish site, but you can probably work it out, here you can check all the item stats/RW's)

I Hope this updated guide is better and easier to read. The other had many mistakes.
This could still have something wrong spelled, PM me if you see some errors, and of course leave a comment and/or suggestion :)

GL & HF

~Andy

This post was edited by montaresss on Apr 5 2009 11:28am
Gold: 0.01
Apr 5 2009 11:27am
I reallly really like that circ =)
Apr 5 2009 11:29am
Noice guide.
Gold: Locked
Warn: 20%
Apr 5 2009 11:33am
i suggest you get both high dmg eth self repair javs and non eth (repair) javs.
nice on both would be increased stack size.
Apr 5 2009 11:42am
Quote (machetebill @ Sun, Apr 5 2009, 06:27pm)
I reallly really like that circ =)

thanks ^^

@ Perz, sure ofc if u get the chance, get that, but u should not miss out on a great pair of javs only cause they are missing self rep when they aren't eth
Warn: 20%
Apr 5 2009 11:43am
Quote (montaresss @ Sun, 5 Apr 2009, 19:42)
thanks ^^

@ Perz, sure ofc if u get the chance, get that, but u should not miss out on a great pair of javs only cause they are missing self rep when they aren't eth

yea, that's true.
i voted btw.
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 30%
Apr 5 2009 12:57pm
theres a ton of diffrent set ups you can use

variations of different fpa/life/dmg/frw

and then set ups with crit/fpa/life/dmg/frw

my thrower on east is alot diff than urs

Apr 5 2009 05:53pm
Quote (luminaire_x @ Sun, Apr 5 2009, 07:57pm)
theres a ton of diffrent set ups you can use

variations of different fpa/life/dmg/frw

and then set ups with crit/fpa/life/dmg/frw

my thrower on east is alot diff than urs

i know there are a ton of builds for a thrower. I just made a guide with the build i like the most
Banned
Apr 5 2009 09:48pm
you could get such a better circ.. ask goonies
Warn: 10%
Apr 5 2009 10:00pm
good guide. if you get past where this guide takes you then you no longer need a guide.
Go Back To Low Level Dueling Topic List
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic