d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Trophy Hunting
Prev1111213141516Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 90.58
Nov 17 2017 05:12pm
Quote (Skinned @ Nov 17 2017 03:58pm)
Sympathy and compassion...a patient I had to fight yesterday beat a dog to death and tried to suicide by cop before he fell in my lap. I guess that's okay because the dog population needs controlled.

I have to remind myself from time to time that most folks, especially here, are incredibly sheltered.

Yes, I understand how you feel, it makes more sense now. Just saying a statement like "Humans need culling" w/o any backstory just seemed kinda odd

but godspeed to you sir, you have a tough job and that's understandable

If there are more downs instead of ups with your job I recommend trying to maybe ask if you can work at a different position (temporarily or whatnot)

This post was edited by JohnMiller92 on Nov 17 2017 05:12pm
Gold: 285.00
Nov 17 2017 05:26pm
Quote (majorblood @ Nov 17 2017 06:06pm)
that's an insult, not an argument

Well I'm not hurting animals for enjoyment, pissing the bed, or playing with fire, so I'm good.
Gold: 8,933.00
Nov 17 2017 05:28pm
Quote (Knaapie @ Nov 17 2017 06:10am)
I've read that, but it really doesn't matter. I'm not against every type of hunting, hunting for food is fine, animal population going out of control -> not great but fine.

But this is something different. Let's say you are extremely poor, and I'd pay for keeping your home in one piece (habitat), if you'd allow me to kill your kids and hang their head on my wall as a trophy.
I'd be sick having a need to kill children in order to proclaim my alpha male status.

This isn't rocket science. really.

I really want to know why it matters what is done after the killing has been performed. If it's legal to kill it for food, <in my best Hillary Clinton voice> what difference does it make if they don't eat it afterwards?

For your analogy to be apt, it would be better to claim that poor people were offering up their cattle to be slaughtered when they could be eating them. Well the problem here is that people were eating their "cows" instead of conserving them.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Nov 17 2017 05:30pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ 17 Nov 2017 22:21)
its false that nothing changed. I linked proof.
Nor is the obama admins policy inherently good or bulletproof, even if there are problems in africa.
People can reasonably disagree on whether a policy is preferable or not.

you say there is "proof" that something changed - where exactly is it? what i read in the quotes you provided are things like "can be", "should", "potential", "could be", "will" - which are exactly the same predictions made before the ban. just to avoid confusion: big game hunting in zimbabwe is not illegal, just importing trophies to the US was - lifting the ban will undoubtedly further incentivise it - and particularly the abuse of 'problem animal' permits to obtain more "impressive" trophies. the unfortunate truth is that populations keep declining (admittedly not as quickly as previously, maybe thanks to obama's policy(?), but still: http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_releases/2017/elephant-11-16-2017.php ) and that the economic impact is wildly overstated ( https://www.ifaw.org/sites/default/files/Ecolarge-2013-200m-question.pdf - https://conservationaction.co.za/resources/reports/lions-share-economic-benefits-trophy-hunting/ - https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2015-08-20-op-ed-is-trophy-hunting-really-sustainable/#.VfFjS7SLFeo ).

so sure, you can agree with this policy, and you can act reasonable while doing it, but if you have to ignore these unfortunate facts and take hopeful predictions as "proof of change" in order to do so, it's not an approach i'd consider particularly fair. but hey, opinions are opinions and i'm glad we're at least discussing the topic for a change...

Quote (thesnipa @ 17 Nov 2017 22:23)
oh that's literally all you wanted answered? that's quite easy in an absolute sense.

Some law abiding hunters won't spend money to hunt if they can't taxidermy a trophy. Some tags go unfilled as a result, and some non-law abiding hunters go in their place to smuggle trophies back home and are obviously more likely to poach or use more questionable hunting techniques.

Im sure your next ploy is to ask for a source.

always assuming the worst while trying to come across as reasonable... most of what you say in the first part is obviously common sense, even though i'm not a hunter it's not hard to imagine that the trophies are a major incentive - someone who takes pride in shooting an animal obviously will have to prove they really did it. the second part, however, is not such an easy sell because it's just one side of the coin: what's also common sense is that when trophies are involved, 'problem animals' permits and similar bending of rules is more likely to happen. so i guess the question is what is more likely: smuggling a trophy and risking a massive fine, potentially prison even - or spending a couple of extra dollars (that will 'help' just one person and significantly damage conservation efforts) to kill a particularly beautiful specimen?

Quote (majorblood @ 17 Nov 2017 22:50)

same thing as before: a bunch of hopeful rhetoric that looks good at first glance but little to no data to back it up. a lot of "could be", "appears to be", and "indications" though. why not let it play out and wait for PROOF of change rather than acting on promise alone. why not insist zimbabwe shows that, despite widespread corruption and political instability throughout the country, they can and will adhere to this set of rules? i assume european and asian hunters are still taking their trophies home, so why not wait and see if they can deliver on their promises, why rush this now and risk further endangering a threatened species?
sorry, but this press release has all the hallmarks of trying to prevent / contain public outrage by offering some nicely formulated phrases and some fancy sounding acronyms. i particularly like the part where it refers to the elephant census, states a number, but for some reason fails to provide a context as to how this number relates to previous years...
Gold: 200.83
Nov 17 2017 05:30pm
Quote (Skinned @ Nov 17 2017 03:26pm)
Well I'm not hurting animals for enjoyment, pissing the bed, or playing with fire, so I'm good.

have you read Haidt or any papers on disgust and morality? I think it's an interesting part of the social sciences
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2562923/
Quote (fender @ Nov 17 2017 03:30pm)
you say there is "proof" that something changed - where exactly is it? what i read in the quotes you provided are things like "can be", "should", "potential", "could be", "will" - which are exactly the same predictions made before the ban. just to avoid confusion: big game hunting in zimbabwe is not illegal, just importing trophies to the US was - lifting the ban will undoubtedly further incentivise it - and particularly the abuse of 'problem animal' permits to obtain more "impressive" trophies. the unfortunate truth is that populations keep declining (admittedly not as quickly as previously, maybe thanks to obama's policy(?), but still: http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_releases/2017/elephant-11-16-2017.php ) and that the economic impact is wildly overstated ( https://www.ifaw.org/sites/default/files/Ecolarge-2013-200m-question.pdf - https://conservationaction.co.za/resources/reports/lions-share-economic-benefits-trophy-hunting/ - https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2015-08-20-op-ed-is-trophy-hunting-really-sustainable/#.VfFjS7SLFeo ).

so sure, you can agree with this policy, and you can act reasonable while doing it, but if you have to ignore these unfortunate facts and take hopeful predictions as "proof of change" in order to do so, it's not an approach i'd consider particularly fair. but hey, opinions are opinions and i'm glad we're at least discussing the topic for a change...

always assuming the worst while trying to come across as reasonable... most of what you say in the first part is obviously common sense, even though i'm not a hunter it's not hard to imagine that the trophies are a major incentive - someone who takes pride in shooting an animal obviously will have to prove they really did it. the second part, however, is not such an easy sell because it's just one side of the coin: what's also common sense is that when trophies are involved, 'problem animals' permits and similar bending of rules is more likely to happen. so i guess the question is what is more likely: smuggling a trophy and risking a massive fine, potentially prison even - or spending a couple of extra dollars (that will 'help' just one person and significantly damage conservation efforts) to kill a particularly beautiful specimen?

same thing as before: a bunch of hopeful rhetoric that looks good at first glance but little to no data to back it up. a lot of "could be", "appears to be", and "indications" though. why not let it play out and wait for PROOF of change rather than acting on promise alone. why not insist zimbabwe shows that, despite widespread corruption and political instability throughout the country, they can and will adhere to this set of rules? i assume european and asian hunters are still taking their trophies home, so why not wait and see if they can deliver on their promises, why rush this now and risk further endangering a threatened species?
sorry, but this press release has all the hallmarks of trying to prevent / contain public outrage by offering some nicely formulated phrases and some fancy sounding acronyms. i particularly like the part where it refers to the elephant census, states a number, but for some reason fails to provide a context as to how this number relates to previous years...

for more details
https://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/enhancement-finding-2017-elephant-Zimbabwe.pdf

This post was edited by majorblood on Nov 17 2017 05:32pm
Gold: 2,009.99
Nov 17 2017 05:33pm
Quote (Skinned @ Nov 17 2017 06:26pm)

Be honest mate

You pee your pants
Gold: 285.00
Nov 17 2017 05:37pm
Quote (majorblood @ Nov 17 2017 06:30pm)
have you read Haidt or any papers on disgust and morality? I think it's an interesting part of the social sciences
for more details
https://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/enhancement-finding-2017-elephant-Zimbabwe.pdf

That looks very interesting thanks for the read :thumbsup:
Nov 17 2017 05:39pm
Quote (Skinned @ Nov 17 2017 03:37pm)
That looks very interesting thanks for the read :thumbsup:

not sure if sarcasm
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Nov 17 2017 06:03pm
Quote (majorblood @ 18 Nov 2017 00:30)

no i haven't, and neither have you apparently, because not even experiment 4 (which you have to be referring to, generously assuming you haven't just read the title) even remotely applies here.
you can just go ahead and say what you want to say though. no need be so cryptic with your ad homs...

Quote (majorblood @ 18 Nov 2017 00:30)

read it - and then formulate a counter-argument supported by it.

Quote (Skinned @ 18 Nov 2017 00:37)
That looks very interesting thanks for the read

pretty sure it's not because it's quite interesting indeed, ignoring the fact it's not in the slightest bit topic related...

This post was edited by fender on Nov 17 2017 06:05pm
Nov 17 2017 06:31pm
Quote (fender @ Nov 17 2017 04:03pm)
no i haven't, and neither have you apparently, because not even experiment 4 (which you have to be referring to, generously assuming you haven't just read the title) even remotely applies here.
you can just go ahead and say what you want to say though. no need be so cryptic with your ad homs...

read it - and then formulate a counter-argument supported by it.

pretty sure it's not because it's quite interesting indeed, ignoring the fact it's not in the slightest bit topic related...

I wasn't referring to anything you said when I replied to skinned with the papers. I am simply discussing and referencing an idea I find interesting with someone on this forum who studies a relevant field. I think Skinned has more insight on these types of social sciences than anyone else and therefore I value his opinion on it. Every topic on pard enters a flow state of discussion, it wont end here

This post was edited by majorblood on Nov 17 2017 06:35pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1111213141516Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll