d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Your Gun Control Proposal
Prev13456725Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 745.69
Oct 5 2017 11:51am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Oct 5 2017 01:44pm)
Are you blind? I'm literally an anarchist who has tens of thousands of posts opposing big government. pretending this is the one thing i oppose is obviously invalid.

Having an ideological opposition to gun control does not mean there is no good reason behind it.
The government stealing from us to fund studies to look for more reasons for gun control is particularly objectionable.

You keep saying that with the assumption that any study that's done is absolutely, 100% going to be used to further gun control, and I keep telling you that you can't possibly know the outcome of such a study before it's actually done. If the government was so hell bent on just banning guns, why the fuck would they bother doing studies in the first fucking place?

Sorry, but I am not a zealous ideologue like you and nothing you've said is a legitimate argument against funding research to help us make informed decisions on public policy. I majored in science and I work with data every day. As someone who believes in logic and reason above all else, I value information and I make decisions based on data whenever possible. That's literally the most unbiased possible way to make a decision, and anyone who opposes a fact based approach to decision making can go fuck themselves.
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Oct 5 2017 11:51am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Oct 5 2017 01:44pm)
Basically follow in Australia's footsteps.

Semi and fully automatic weapons are banned also. I always run across two gun nut types, the "I need guns to hunt" and "I need guns to fight against that government whose ass I'm constantly licking"..neither needs a weapon like that.

And to the people that say well if you ban it, that just means only criminals will have them and it'll still be the same..okay, let's just not have any laws at all since they won't work.

Hunting actually plays an important ecological role in many parts of the united states. I don't know why you consider them gun nuts...

This post was edited by DCSS on Oct 5 2017 11:52am
Gold: 40.64
Oct 5 2017 11:53am
Lets assume we are talking about the US here.

Some of the ideas in this topic first need to tackle the constitutionality of their proposal. For a lot of that stuff to become law the constitution would first need to be altered, which is quite hard.

Just one example is the people talking about having people's medical information searched or putting tracking devices in guns. The Fourth Amendment prevents that from happening:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

This means no searches, tracking, wiretapping, or surveillance without probable cause to believe that a crime as been committed.

This post was edited by NatureNames on Oct 5 2017 11:57am
Gold: 287,160.50
Oct 5 2017 11:55am
First put that retrograde constitution in the garbage, then we can have a talk.
Gold: 77,846.23
Oct 5 2017 11:56am
I'd make changes to policy and possibly request additional funding for SWAT. Having teams on stand by at major cities/gatherings and having cities pay for this (possibly lowering security costs). I was surprised we didn't see a sniper deployed in this specific situation, and clearly every officer on the ground was helpless. I have yet to see a single solution to prevent copycats in the future, which is both scary and frustrating.

The police department and SWAT were unprepared for this. Period. In all honestly if this was a man hellbent on doing everything he could to kill people, he could have ambushed the officers who arrived in the room. Very strange the standoff ended the way it did.
Gold: 127.69
Warn: 10%
Quote (Xandriia @ Oct 5 2017 01:47pm)
https://i.imgur.com/sqsU2KU.png

Basically follow in Australia's footsteps.

Semi and fully automatic weapons are banned also. I always run across two gun nut types, the "I need guns to hunt" and "I need guns to fight against that government whose ass I'm constantly licking"..neither needs a weapon like that.

And to the people that say well if you ban it, that just means only criminals will have them and it'll still be the same..okay, let's just not have any laws at all since they won't work.

Probably the NRA's secret agenda. Use this whirlwind of jargon to sweep everyone into a blackhole of worthless discussion until we get rid of all laws.

Working as intended so far.
Gold: 7,525.35
Quote (Magicman657 @ Oct 5 2017 01:51pm)
You keep saying that with the assumption that any study that's done is absolutely, 100% going to be used to further gun control, and I keep telling you that you can't possibly know the outcome of such a study before it's actually done. If the government was so hell bent on just banning guns, why the fuck would they bother doing studies in the first fucking place?

Sorry, but I am not a zealous ideologue like you and nothing you've said is a legitimate argument against funding research to help us make informed decisions on public policy. I majored in science and I work with data every day. As someone who believes in logic and reason above all else, I value information and I make decisions based on data whenever possible. That's literally the most unbiased possible way to make a decision, and anyone who opposes a fact based approach to decision making can go fuck themselves.

you are on some daft crusade against 'ideology'. examine your own shit. i dont have time for it.
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Oct 5 2017 11:57am
Quote (NatureNames @ Oct 5 2017 01:53pm)
Lets assume we are talking about the US here.

Some of the ideas in this topic first need to tackle the constitutionality of their proposal. For a lot of that stuff to become law the constitution would first need to be altered, which is quite hard.

Just one example is the people talking about having have people's medical information searched or putting tracking devices in guns. The Fourth Amendment prevents that from happening:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

This means no searches, tracking, wiretapping, or surveillance without probable cause to believe that a crime as been committed.

Phones have tracking devices and they don't get flak from the fourth amendment. People are consenting to a tracking device when they buy the thing, it's no more a violation of the fourth amendment than all the smart tv's that openly spy on you because you agreed to it.

Also windows 10

This post was edited by DCSS on Oct 5 2017 11:58am
Gold: 745.69
Oct 5 2017 12:01pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Oct 5 2017 01:56pm)
you are on some daft crusade against 'ideology'. examine your own shit. i dont have time for it.

I'm not for or against gun control laws because I wouldn't be so stupid as to pass a law without having data to show that the law will actually be of benefit. Zealous ideologues are biased as fuck and don't give a shit about the truth or about solving problems; they just blindly oppose anything and everything they perceive as a threat to whatever they worship (in this case, guns), even if that opposition is totally illogical and counterproductive to society. Anyone with a brain understands that.
Gold: 40.64
Oct 5 2017 12:02pm
Quote (DCSS @ Oct 5 2017 10:57am)
Phones have tracking devices and they don't get flak from the fourth amendment. People are consenting to a tracking device when they buy the thing, it's no more a violation of the fourth amendment than all the smart tv's that openly spy on you because you agreed to it.

Also windows 10

OK the key difference here is that Samsung, Android, Windows, etc are private companies, not the government. The forth amendment only pertains to prohibitions on governmental power.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13456725Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll