d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Your Gun Control Proposal
Prev1234525Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 83.30
Oct 5 2017 10:17am
Quote (Goomshill @ Oct 5 2017 04:11pm)
Nothing at all. The chips wouldn't be designed to be tamper proof, just tamper resilient at best. Ideally with a tracking system, if someone disables the chip, you can be (eventually) alerted to the chip going off the grid.
Such tracking would be far more useful at weeding out handguns off the street than a determined mass shooter

You're far better off etching/milling an ID into the gun, and registering those in a national database. Trade would require adjustment of the database.

NFC/RFID is a possibility but far too easy to tamper with. GPS is not applicable, the power draw is huge.
Gold: 22,189.49
Oct 5 2017 10:20am
Quote (balrog66 @ Oct 5 2017 10:17am)
You're far better off etching/milling an ID into the gun, and registering those in a national database. Trade would require adjustment of the database.

NFC/RFID is a possibility but far too easy to tamper with. GPS is not applicable, the power draw is huge.

It is now, but you have to plan around the kind of technological advances we'd have in the time to set this up. Could someone conceivably come up with low power draw cell phone tower based chips, or passive long range chips that could triangulate position?
I think we can do a lot better than IDs with what tech we've already got.
Gold: 9,276.00
Oct 5 2017 10:21am
Quote (Goomshill @ Oct 5 2017 09:04am)
I've said the same thing for years: Black boxes tagging and/or trackers.
We have the technology to tag and track wildlife but when it comes to guns? It would drive the libertarian kooks wild as they call it the New World Order, but for 95% of reasonable average gun owners it would be a way to keep guns from getting stolen, create a trail when guns go off the grid, etc. Now the exact specifics and logistics are limited by technology and economic viability and would have to be hammered out, would it be mere data recording locally like black boxes, or chips with NFC tech, or 4G, or GPS? I'd like to imagine a world where police on a scene could instantly have a radar-style map of all nearby legal gun owners, where they could know anyone they stop with an untagged gun is carrying illegally, where they can know right away when guns are stolen or suspicious amounts of guns go off the grid in one area.
And if the anti-NWO nutters care so much, come the revolution they can just rip the chips off their guns all at once.

Not sure what this would accomplish besides big brother knowing a whole lot more about you. This would drive the prices up, and honestly if i'm a perp i can just smash the tracker and be on my merry way perping around.

This wouldn't really prevent the mass murders that we've seen in Vegas either. Or maybe if you can create some algorithm with some complex metrics lets say that would red flag someone with multiple, high capacity semi-autos going into a densely populated area, but idk. To maintain the gun registry, the tracking, the algo alarms, etc would be expensive AF in my opinion.

Not only expensive but the margin of error would be pretty high i'd think, even with a refined algo.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Oct 5 2017 10:23am
Gold: 2,617.52
Oct 5 2017 10:24am
Mandatory gun ownership for adults 24+.
Gold: 5,016.77
Oct 5 2017 10:25am
Quote (Goomshill @ Oct 5 2017 11:04am)
I've said the same thing for years: Black boxes tagging and/or trackers.
We have the technology to tag and track wildlife but when it comes to guns? It would drive the libertarian kooks wild as they call it the New World Order, but for 95% of reasonable average gun owners it would be a way to keep guns from getting stolen, create a trail when guns go off the grid, etc. Now the exact specifics and logistics are limited by technology and economic viability and would have to be hammered out, would it be mere data recording locally like black boxes, or chips with NFC tech, or 4G, or GPS? I'd like to imagine a world where police on a scene could instantly have a radar-style map of all nearby legal gun owners, where they could know anyone they stop with an untagged gun is carrying illegally, where they can know right away when guns are stolen or suspicious amounts of guns go off the grid in one area.
And if the anti-NWO nutters care so much, come the revolution they can just rip the chips off their guns all at once.

How would that work with the guns already in circulation?
Gold: 22,189.49
Oct 5 2017 10:27am
Quote (IceMage @ Oct 5 2017 10:25am)
How would that work with the guns already in circulation?

Id imagine you'd have a period of phasing it in, followed by several years where guns must be tagged to be removed from your house / carried, and then maybe it could be eventually be mandatory for all guns.
Gold: 17.00
Oct 5 2017 10:31am
i'd start by coinciding mental illness records with the federal background check system. and a general fix to the background system in general. to many examples of most mass shooters legally buying guns with red flags in their records. you could be a known schizophrenic be on record for treatment of this and records of odd behavior and still buy a aresenal.

This post was edited by Historic on Oct 5 2017 10:32am
Gold: 30.00
Oct 5 2017 10:34am
How about decreased spending on drug and weapon penalization and an increase in mental health care for all people. I think a social movement in the direction of the collective mental health of all citizens is what this country needs most.
Gold: 1,803.00
Oct 5 2017 10:36am
Made a new amendment that overrules the second amendment ;)
Gold: 7,525.35
Oct 5 2017 10:36am
Quote (Magicman657 @ Oct 5 2017 12:11pm)
You don't actually know that the studies will necessarily tell us that more gun control will even be effective. That's presupposing a conclusion without having access to the data to support it.

What i think it would show has no bearing on whether i oppose it or not.
Im quite content stopping the gun control agenda in its tracks and not forcing americans to pay for studies to dig up anything they can to push for more gun control.

What they show and what they are used for are two different things.
Time and again 'studies' and crappy government projections are used and cherrypicked to push agendas on flawed grounds.

The idea that the CDC will objectively "science the shit out of it" and give moral authority to dictate policy based on it is also ridiculous.

“We need to revolutionize the way we look at guns, like what we did with cigarettes,” Dr. Mark Rosenberg, who oversaw CDC gun research, told The Washington Post in 1994.“Now [smoking] is dirty, deadly and banned.”

Rosenberg’s statement coincided with a CDC study by Arthur Kellermann and Donald Reay, who argued guns in the home are 43 times more likely to be used to kill a family member than an intruder. The study had serious flaws; namely, it skewed the ratio by failing to consider defensive uses of firearms in which the intruder wasn’t killed. It has since been refuted by several studies, including one by Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck, indicating Americans use guns for self-defense 2.5 million times annually. However, the damage had been done—the “43 times” myth is perhaps gun-control advocates’ most commonly cited argument, and a lot of people still believe it to this day.

obama already had them conduct some studies. it didnt have favorable results for the gun control crowd.

The CDC should stick to controlling and preventing disease, not going on gun control witch hunts at the behest and control of leftist hacks to push an unconstitutional and immoral political agenda

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Oct 5 2017 10:38am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234525Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll