d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > St. Louisan Here > Riot #2
Prev14567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Sep 20 2017 06:17pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Sep 20 2017 06:15pm)
All humans have the same set of emotions. One path is better than the other period.

God this is loaded with so many fallacies and logical dead-ends I don't know where to start.
Gold: 7,525.35
Sep 20 2017 06:21pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Sep 20 2017 08:00pm)
Now you're talking about justice as though it's an objective reality and not a construct of humans...

Thats your interpretation of what was said. Do you have any point against what I said?

For the sake of argument we can say things like kidnapping and murder are wrong according to the human construct of justice. My points appear to apply just fine, unless you plan on making an argument against them.

Quote (Skinned @ Sep 20 2017 08:02pm)
He considers his subjective reality objective.

Our senses are like flawed and stuff man *puffs* there is no real truth *puffs* thats why economics should be thrown out the window *crinkling sound as your hand reaches into cheetos bag* my feels are just as good BETTER than your logic and evidence. *crunches*
Sep 20 2017 06:52pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Sep 20 2017 06:21pm)
Thats your interpretation of what was said. Do you have any point against what I said?

For the sake of argument we can say things like kidnapping and murder are wrong according to the human construct of justice. My points appear to apply just fine, unless you plan on making an argument against them.

Our senses are like flawed and stuff man *puffs* there is no real truth *puffs* thats why economics should be thrown out the window *crinkling sound as your hand reaches into cheetos bag* my feels are just as good BETTER than your logic and evidence. *crunches*

I've actually got a lot of shit to do right now, so I'll just make one big long-winded post on why it's garbage.

1. Your pledges don't really matter. What matters if you carry them out (i.e. Nazis who helped Jews escape). Therefore, the fact that cops make pledges doesn't make them bad.

2. It treats "good and bad" as black and white, when everybody is at least somewhat bad. You can basically prove anybody is anything using this argument form. As Skinned pointed out which you ignored because it was inconvenient.

3. Laws being "just" or "unjust" is a personal opinion. In most people's opinion, the vast majority of what cops do every day isn't unjust, and cops can change their patterns of behavior over their careers.

4. You say some are "less bad", as though it is supposed to be meaningful when it applies to every situation, ever.

5. If you are a proponent of personal responsibility, the argument that all cops are anything must be dismissed out of hand, since it's an absolutist argument that ignores the characteristics of any individual.

6. What it means to be a "good cop" and "bad cop" aren't the same as being a good person who is also a cop. You're missing an entire level of connotation.

Anyway there's more, but like I said, busy. You seem to, once again, be the only person who doesn't see how crappy the argument is.

Quote (cambovenzi @ Sep 20 2017 06:21pm)

The point went totally over your head, as usual.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Sep 20 2017 06:53pm
Gold: 2,617.52
Sep 20 2017 07:04pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Sep 20 2017 08:17pm)
God this is loaded with so many fallacies and logical dead-ends I don't know where to start.

And you don't list any of them because you're full of bullshit.
Gold: 0.00
Sep 20 2017 07:22pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Sep 20 2017 06:04pm)

What did you expect from someone who is in a guild named "Black Power"?

This post was edited by JoseMcMaster on Sep 20 2017 07:22pm
Sep 20 2017 07:30pm
Quote (JoseMcMaster @ Sep 20 2017 07:22pm)

Hooray. This week's cappy right wing multi who will contribute nothing and disappear into obscurity.

Quote (EndlessSky @ Sep 20 2017 07:04pm)

You're smart enough to find them yourself.... I hope.
Gold: 0.00
Sep 20 2017 07:34pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Sep 20 2017 06:30pm)
Hooray. This week's cappy right wing multi who will contribute nothing and disappear into obscurity.

You're smart enough to find them yourself.... I hope.

Assuming posts on this cesspool subforum where delusional leftists cry left n right about Trump, equates to meaningful discussion?

How does it feel to be in a guild named "Black Power", btw? Totally dodged that point.. I wonder why

This post was edited by JoseMcMaster on Sep 20 2017 07:34pm
Gold: 7,525.35
Sep 20 2017 07:37pm
1. Your pledges don't really matter. What matters if you carry them out (i.e. Nazis who helped Jews escape). Therefore, the fact that cops make pledges doesn't make them bad.

Yes and I recognize that is a valid opinion with some caveats. Your previous reply used the dishonesty of cops* and their lack of intent to uphold unjust laws which I commented on.
I do think the meme could have more emphasis on doing worse things than pledging and contractually obligating yourself to do terrible things. But it does not necessarily follow that one cannot think that is a bad thing to do.
and I pointed out that cops who pledge one thing here and never do wrong are unicorns.

Even a nazi who helped jews escape or a cop who stops a murderer are not free from the guilt of bad things they have done.

2. It treats "good and bad" as black and white, when everybody is at least somewhat bad.

Is there an inherent problem with this that makes what he said invalid? Can nothing be black and white?

"Murder isn't good"
-"ACKTCHUALLY"
You can basically prove anybody is anything using this argument form. As Skinned pointed out which you ignored because it was inconvenient.

No, and he made some point about immortality that doesn't follow.
Recognizing that cops do bad things and aren't good doesn't mean you can prove anyone is anything.

3. Laws being "just" or "unjust" is a personal opinion. In most people's opinion, the vast majority of what cops do every day isn't unjust, and cops can change their patterns of behavior over their careers.

People can have personal opinions about what is just or unjust. A majority viewing an unjust act as just doesn't make it so.
I already eviscerated your 'majority of what cops do' talking point in a previous post. doing good or neutral and bad police actions doesnt mean we have to classify you as a good cop.

Changing behavior doesn't remove bad acts either.

4. You say some are "less bad", as though it is supposed to be meaningful when it applies to every situation, ever.

This is another weird inference you are declaring about what I said.
Some cops murder, some cops stand by and watch, some cops dont murder but do other bad things. This seems rather obvious, no?
rather than accept this you read into it something about me saying it meaningfully applies to every situation ever?? :wacko:
5. If you are a proponent of personal responsibility, the argument that all cops are anything must be dismissed out of hand, since it's an absolutist argument that ignores the characteristics of any individual.

Your logic is incorrect here as well. individuals in groups can have the same traits or actions, especially when the label of the group is based on what they do.
Being an advocate of personal responsibility does not mean i have to deny reality.

6. What it means to be a "good cop" and "bad cop" aren't the same as being a good person who is also a cop. You're missing an entire level of connotation.

That depends on what type of good you are talking about.
Someone who successfully does a cops job would be considered a "good cop" if doing the job is the standard. just like an assassin would be a "good assassin" if he successfully murders his target etc.
This isn't particularly relevant to my point.

Yes a bootlicker might personally think a cop who legally commits atrocities is "good" but we don't.

The point went totally over your head, as usual.

yet another smug false assertion. This is something you do a lot.
I chose to reply to his insipid dig that was based on what you falsely asserted with my own form of parody.
that doesnt mean i didnt understand.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Sep 20 2017 07:45pm
Gold: 2,617.52
Sep 20 2017 07:49pm
Quote (JoseMcMaster @ Sep 20 2017 09:22pm)

Good choice of music at parties.

This post was edited by EndlessSky on Sep 20 2017 07:49pm
Gold: 127.69
Warn: 10%
Sep 20 2017 10:26pm
Quote (Skinned @ Sep 20 2017 07:24pm)
Give a pansy a gun and he will shoot everything.

Lets drop your ass in the middle of st lu or chicago there tough guy :rofl:
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll