d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Is Corporatism The New Face Of Evil?
Prev12345618Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Jun 14 2017 07:26am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Jun 13 2017 09:30pm)
When you take into contrast the definition: profound immorality and wickedness, especially when regarded as a supernatural force.
It has got to the point where too big to fail corporations are a power unto themselves and rival those supernatural forces of evil early civilization feared.
Now see a corporation is not evil out of malice, they are evil out of the lack of empathy that comes from a group collective based on greed.
They can justify the same evils that a truly evil person would do but the corporation keeps them at arms length, no one has to take responsibility.
Sure corporations are not new, but the sheer scope of the current ones would boggle the mind of people back in the 1800's who just had to deal with your run of the mill evil robber barons and axe murderers.
These days a company like bp can kill a few million sea creatures, 7 employees and poison a few thousand more and no one bats an eye and no one takes responsibility.

Oh my god overdramatic and very wrong. People do go nuts when corporations do terrible things such as the BP crisis, 2008 everything, etc. Just because CNN isn't actively reporting on it anymore doesn't mean people don't still talk or think about it or study it. Again, you can say the corporations are corrupt and in a way you're really not wrong, but the people to blame are those in government who refuse to change the laws to limit their reach. It's actually almost entirely OUR fault for continuing to elect and reelect a congress who takes money from special interest groups. There are ABSOLUTELY congressmen/women who refuse to take money and don't bend to the corporate desires of the world. Yet, here we are, reelecting the same mother fuckers over and over knowing they'll continue to do what the corporations tell them to do. Actually, "knowing" isn't a good word since most people go to the ballot box and just vote for the familiar name, typically an incumbent. So blame the populous.

Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 13 2017 08:01pm)
I disagree. You likely would be seeing a much larger backlash from republicans. I mean hell, trump was calling for a second amendment solution to a hillary victory...

That's just biased shit and you know it. Either side would be flipping the fuck out.

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Jun 14 2017 07:27am
Gold: 1,002.00
Warn: 10%
Jun 14 2017 08:35am
this reminds me to transfer my saving to the Triodos bank. Less profitable, yet suiting my morale on the subjects it invests in.
The one I'm using now is obviously evil, solely focused on profits, with massive bonuses in the past to the top when they are reached. (they are capped by the government now, thankfully).
/e my bank invested in ND pipeline :/

Ofc, this is not as bad as the AAA rating fraud causing the crisis, I seriously don't understand how ppl did not end up in jail for that.

This post was edited by Knaapie on Jun 14 2017 08:44am
Gold: 500.00
Jun 14 2017 08:37am
Quote (Knaapie @ Jun 14 2017 09:35am)
this reminds me to transfer my saving to the Triodos bank. Less profitable, yet suiting my morale on the subjects it invests in.
The one I'm using now is obviously evil, solely focused on profits, with massive bonuses in the past to the top when they are reached. (they are capped by the government now, thankfully).

Ofc, this is not as bad as the AAA rating fraud causing the crisis, I seriously don't understand how ppl did not end up in jail for that.

cuz they rich
we should get rich too and we'd be above the law
Retired Moderator
Jun 14 2017 08:38am
Quote (Knaapie @ Jun 14 2017 09:35am)

I'll give you that one for sure. The fact that no one from Moody's or S&P were jailed for fake ratings is absurd.
Gold: 1.93
Jun 14 2017 11:36pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 15 2017 12:26am)
Oh my god overdramatic and very wrong. People do go nuts when corporations do terrible things such as the BP crisis, 2008 everything, etc. Just because CNN isn't actively reporting on it anymore doesn't mean people don't still talk or think about it or study it. Again, you can say the corporations are corrupt and in a way you're really not wrong, but the people to blame are those in government who refuse to change the laws to limit their reach. It's actually almost entirely OUR fault for continuing to elect and reelect a congress who takes money from special interest groups. There are ABSOLUTELY congressmen/women who refuse to take money and don't bend to the corporate desires of the world. Yet, here we are, reelecting the same mother fuckers over and over knowing they'll continue to do what the corporations tell them to do. Actually, "knowing" isn't a good word since most people go to the ballot box and just vote for the familiar name, typically an incumbent. So blame the populous.

That's just biased shit and you know it. Either side would be flipping the fuck out.

The thing is the bp oil spill has blown over completely but the damage is still going on, and it has been 100% proven that bp has gone out of their way to cover it up.
As a high level employee of bp i can tell you outright that the only regret in the power structure here is getting caught.

I agree that governments are complicit, but in my case its not the government of my country and despite my government not doing enough to limit corporate powers here i myself vote greens, so there is little i can do about the corporation issue now is there?
Fact is that regardless of who caused it corporations have become the white collar version of godzilla.

This post was edited by Plaguefear on Jun 14 2017 11:39pm
Retired Moderator
Jun 15 2017 07:28am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Jun 15 2017 12:36am)
The thing is the bp oil spill has blown over completely but the damage is still going on, and it has been 100% proven that bp has gone out of their way to cover it up.
As a high level employee of bp i can tell you outright that the only regret in the power structure here is getting caught.

I agree that governments are complicit, but in my case its not the government of my country and despite my government not doing enough to limit corporate powers here i myself vote greens, so there is little i can do about the corporation issue now is there?
Fact is that regardless of who caused it corporations have become the white collar version of godzilla.

I've seen you post about people forgetting about BP. I mean even Hollywood made a movie about it in 2016, it's not like people forgot. Plenty of people still care and I think the vast majority of people would agree that BP covered it up big time. I know all about how they used dispersants to give the illusion of clean water but really it just added more shit to the water and not "dawn dish soap." I'm certainly not an uninformed sheep about it.

Again man, I get that many corporations do really shady shit from banking to oil companies to proctor and gamble to drug companies and everyone inbetween. What you're totally disregarding is that if Phizer doesn't inflate costs of their drugs, GSK and AstraZeneca will absolutely murder them financially. If Morgan Stanley doesn't invest in a shady equity and Merril Lynch does, they could go out of business that way, etc. It is absolutely on the GOVERNMENT to make it an even playing field so that if one company can't go one sketchy way, none of them can. That way, companies who want to do the "right" thing, can, and won't be penalized for it in the form of loss of revenue.

For a basic analogy, let's say a certain type of steroid wasn't on the banned substance list because it's technically chemically different. The league hasn't banned it yet, but they're going to within the next 2 years as they review. If a baseball player uses this substance, they'll likely outperform their similar players, right? Of course. Now if you want to be a legitimate player and not use them because you know it's wrong, dangerous to yourself, dangerous to those invested in your success, etc., you can choose not to use them, but you'd be a fool because now everyone else is going to outperform you. The league absolutely has the capability of banning it immediately and taking quicker action, but they don't, so if you don't take this steroid, you're going to get absolutely fucked and might be out of a job and certainly will make less money in future contracts.

Do you kinda get what I mean by saying, don't blame the corporation, blame the government for lack of action as it's THEIR JOB to prevent corruption?

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Jun 15 2017 07:28am
Gold: 1.93
Jun 15 2017 08:00am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 16 2017 12:28am)
What you're totally disregarding is that if Phizer doesn't inflate costs of their drugs, GSK and AstraZeneca will absolutely murder them financially. If Morgan Stanley doesn't invest in a shady equity and Merril Lynch does, they could go out of business that way, etc. It is absolutely on the GOVERNMENT to make it an even playing field so that if one company can't go one sketchy way, none of them can. That way, companies who want to do the "right" thing, can, and won't be penalized for it in the form of loss of revenue.

Do you kinda get what I mean by saying, don't blame the corporation, blame the government for lack of action as it's THEIR JOB to prevent corruption?

The bolded is the entire point of my post, corporations are the new face of evil because by their very nature they are amoral and will do whatever they can get away with no matter who it hurts.
Governments do allow it to happen, but no one is forced to corporatize, they do it out of greed, they want to be billionaires, they want to have power and market shares.
I believe both are equally to blame.
You also have to consider the symbiotic relationship between the corporations and the government, between donations, lobbyist jobs etc.
Its a revolving door and it is corrupting society to its core, and the corporations take as much advantage as they can get from it.

This post was edited by Plaguefear on Jun 15 2017 08:01am
Retired Moderator
Jun 15 2017 09:25am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Jun 15 2017 09:00am)
The bolded is the entire point of my post, corporations are the new face of evil because by their very nature they are amoral and will do whatever they can get away with no matter who it hurts.
Governments do allow it to happen, but no one is forced to corporatize, they do it out of greed, they want to be billionaires, they want to have power and market shares.
I believe both are equally to blame.
You also have to consider the symbiotic relationship between the corporations and the government, between donations, lobbyist jobs etc.
Its a revolving door and it is corrupting society to its core, and the corporations take as much advantage as they can get from it.

You are making it like corporations aiming to increase value is a bad thing. God forbid they become billion dollar companies and help the 401k accounts of all of us everyday people who invest in them. Your point I think though is that they're willing to do really fucked up things to add a penny to their balance sheet. Alright, fair, but again, unless ALL corporations stop being shitty, then the few that take the moral route will likely fail. That's what I think you aren't realizing.

Corporations have to take advantage of every opportunity, especially in today's world. You have to realize that if say, Kellogs finds a way to make cereal boxes for $.001 cheaper than General Mills does, that could absolutely be a difference why investors would bail on General Mills and see Kellogs as the leader, just to give a simple example. So yeah if corporations follow their moral compass, they'll end up being destroyed. There's no choice honestly, which is sad, and most CEOs will say that's really sad, but it's how it is and there is no getting around it.
Gold: 119,903.34
Jun 15 2017 09:32am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 15 2017 10:25am)
You are making it like corporations aiming to increase value is a bad thing. God forbid they become billion dollar companies and help the 401k accounts of all of us everyday people who invest in them. Your point I think though is that they're willing to do really fucked up things to add a penny to their balance sheet. Alright, fair, but again, unless ALL corporations stop being shitty, then the few that take the moral route will likely fail. That's what I think you aren't realizing.

Corporations have to take advantage of every opportunity, especially in today's world. You have to realize that if say, Kellogs finds a way to make cereal boxes for $.001 cheaper than General Mills does, that could absolutely be a difference why investors would bail on General Mills and see Kellogs as the leader, just to give a simple example. So yeah if corporations follow their moral compass, they'll end up being destroyed. There's no choice honestly, which is sad, and most CEOs will say that's really sad, but it's how it is and there is no getting around it.

Avarice needs to be genetically removed from humans.
Gold: 18,470.03
Jun 15 2017 09:41am
Corporate cronyism is the old face of evil. Cultural Marxism is the new one.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345618Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll