d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Is Corporatism The New Face Of Evil?
Prev123418Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 500.00
Jun 12 2017 07:34am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Jun 12 2017 06:29am)
The poor's votes used to matter a lot more, these days politicians do not care what their electorates want.

i blame an apathetic voter base

bernie sanders was their chance to elect someone with a shred of integrity
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Jun 12 2017 07:36am
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ Jun 12 2017 08:16am)
Defrauding investors and continuing a zero sum game to line up your pockets , you can't just stay there's no blame for them.

The sheer fact nobody was prosecuted for the fraud committed that lead to the 2008 crash is just so depressing.

Also when these corporations have former CEO's become Secretary of the Treasury, how can you expect the government to protect its citizens.

It's just so depressing that a very small amount of people are responsible for billions of dollars and by extension untold damage that causes to the population resulting in higher suicide rates and lives being torn apart just from the risk taking of a small group and crippling the entire world economy.

But our government not only bailed out the banks while the common citizen gets fucked and instead of the people who caused the crisis being prosecuted for fraud , they get bonuses and cash out when they basically were responsible for economic ruin and even death.

Who puts former CEOs into those positions? Government. Who put Rex Tillerson as SOS? Government. Who failed to prosecute these execs even in the age of Sarbanes-Oxley? Government.

What people don't realize is that if you're Bank of America and you see Citi, JPM Chase, Wells Fargo and even smaller players getting involved in a shady form of investing their capital, but borderline legal/illegal, if you don't go that route too, their profits may absolutely destroy yours. Then, the average American gets upset with Bank of America for not producing for them and having their stock rise less than 1% every quarter while Citi, Chase, Wells, etc., all are experiencing 5-10% growth.

My point is, they really don't have any choice because if they don't, they won't be able to compete, and they'll fail anyways. That's why government exists. To set standards and regulations that allow them to be profitable, but not stupid. That is why in my opinion it's about 99% on the government and 1% on the corporation.

As far as the bonuses, that's totally peanuts in the grand scheme. Keep in mind too, the government bailed them out but wanted to get paid back. The government made these deals with guys like Dimon and Pandit and basically said, keep the economy afloat and we'll make sure you're compensated and don't see jail time, anddddd we don't obliterate you in fines because we need you to be profitable so the world doesn't collapse into economic despair. The popular/unpopular thought at the time was, we want to fuck over these banks for making stupid decisions, but if we just tank them all, the economy fails, so instead we have to give them barrels of money and play nice and cross our fingers.

If it were me, I'd say let them fail. We would've survived, just would've stung a lot. Just giving you the reasoning for why it went down the way it did.

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Jun 12 2017 07:40am
Gold: 500.00
Jun 12 2017 07:42am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 12 2017 07:55am)
Blame the government, not the corporations. A business's #1 goal is to create growth and profit for their shareholders. It is the government who is supposed to look after its people and ensure businesses don't do anything to harm their people, which includes allowing businesses to function and make money to generate tax revenue, etc.

Corporations will drink the alcohol that the government pours. No alcohol to drink, no alcohol to spill, so to speak. I could give hundreds of examples, but here are a few:

1. The US permits Enron to use Mark to Market accounting, which allows them to book future revenue today and report it to their shareholders before it's in the bank. You'll see similar types used today such as VSOE among others, but Mark to Market is essentially what allowed the Enron scheme to ramble on for 2-3 years longer than it should have.
2. The US permits banks to put relatively unsafe low credit score mortgage loans into double and triple A rated bonds, far different than the ones in the 1980s and 1990s. Then, they allow these banks to overleverage to the point that if loans default, they'll never be able to pay them back. THEN they allow AIG to insure these for far beyond what AIG would be willing to pay back in the event of a crisis. Thus, 2008 happened.
3. The Icelandic government permits Glitnir Bank (now Íslandsbanki I think) and Kaupthing Bank and others to overextend themselves far beyond the cash cow they were already, similar to what happened in the US in some ways, resulting in the 2008 crisis.

Again, you can blame the corporations/banks if you really want to I guess, but it isn't fair in my opinion. Banks and businesses will find loopholes if they exist, and go as far to the edge of laws as they can. The government has to create these "cliffs" that businesses cannot go beyond.

tl;dr - don't blame the corporation, blame the government who allowed them to operate that way, knowingly.

we've all seen the studies on wealth vs influence over policy
blaming government officials for what amounts to taking bribes to enact policies in favour of large corporations does not absolve said corporations of their responsibility for creating the problems we are facing
Gold: 68.99
Warn: 10%
Jun 12 2017 08:59am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Jun 12 2017 12:53pm)
Most western nations are now oligarchies ruled by the rich.

Quote (Leevee @ Jun 12 2017 02:27pm)
They are now, and they always have been.

I don't know where you live, but where I live we have laws and democratic institutions.
The fact that not each and every one of your wishes has been fulfilled as soon as they first came to your mind does not mean that the rich are behind it.

Quote (Plaguefear @ Jun 12 2017 10:46am)
But this was all pretty much certain to happen under the current system where corporations have no real responsibility to do anything that does not benefit shareholders.

This is an important point in giving them legal personhood.

This post was edited by Gastly on Jun 12 2017 09:00am
Gold: 285.00
Jun 12 2017 09:12am
Prison sentences for BP execs please.
Gold: 5,016.77
Jun 12 2017 09:14am
Quote (Skinned @ Jun 12 2017 10:12am)
Prison sentences for BP execs please.

Retired Moderator
Jun 12 2017 11:10am
Quote (duffman316 @ Jun 12 2017 08:42am)
we've all seen the studies on wealth vs influence over policy
blaming government officials for what amounts to taking bribes to enact policies in favour of large corporations does not absolve said corporations of their responsibility for creating the problems we are facing

The same people who say "corporations are evil and pay off politicians" are the same people who whine and say $175k a year for a public office position is overpay for a senator.

I already said twice in this thread, the corporations of course share the responsibility, but so much time and effort is wasted on pointing the finger at the corporation for proposing the corrupt deal instead of the politician who accepted it. Like drugs kids "just say no."

That's okay I'm sure half the people in this thread will post something positive in an Occupy Wall Street thread whining at the wrong people like usual.

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Jun 12 2017 11:10am
Gold: 9.87
Jun 12 2017 11:27am
The poor's votes used to matter a lot more, these days politicians do not care what their electorates want.

Not when there were land, property, or tax requirements to vote.
Retired Moderator
Jun 12 2017 11:29am

Yeah I mean except for you know, 7 months ago when poor working class came out to give Trump arguably the biggest upset victory ever for the presidency.
Gold: 25.20
Jun 12 2017 05:53pm
Corporations will always seek profit. No matter how much finger pointing and blaming that happens it will always be that way. It's useless to do so.
Definitely need to look to the government to do their job or the people need to do a better job in deciding who gets their money.

This post was edited by FroggyG on Jun 12 2017 05:55pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123418Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll