d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > MOBA > League of Legends > The Pro's And Con's Of Working At Riot
1238Next
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Topic New Poll
Gold: 500.00
Apr 25 2017 09:05pm
well, they fit the exact image i had in mind when i said they grew from being a group of amateurs much too quickly without developing professionally several years ago
https://www.glassdoor.ca/Reviews/Riot-Games-Reviews-E247538.htm
I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros
- Amazing cafeteria and campus. You won't want to go home.
- Open PTO policy. No need to feel bad about taking PTO for sick days!
- There are some VERY good people here and you'll make lifelong friends.
- There are many resources available to you if you're interested in learning. I've never known a company so focused on education!

Cons
I'm echoing everything else that has been said in other negative reviews. It's a sad and sobering fact that none of them are overly dramatic. This place is extremely toxic.
- "Bro culture" and harassment run rampant and pervades leadership. You know those Uber stories going around recently? Riot is a half-step down from those experiences. Your clout and stability are directly proportional to the state of your abs (I'm only somewhat kidding about this). Leadership is filled with privileged men who do not recognize their own privilege and destructively wield their lack of awareness.
- In order to be successful at Riot you have to do one of two things: 1) deal with an absurd amount of nonsense (this is the majority of Rioters) or 2) play the political game of backstabbing, befriending the right people, and focusing on presentation rather than results or expertise. Nepotism is your friend. It is incredible how many incompetent, unproven people have risen their ways through the ranks just from smooth talking and agreeing with the people around them.
- Senior leadership is the layer of cancer that infects the rest of the company. More and more "mercenaries" are being hired who are looking to not do much and take a lot of credit. There's an obliviousness/naivety to these kinds of mercenaries from leadership (yet obvious to everyone else), and they're always surprised when one leaves the company for more money somewhere else. Some have stayed long-term since they've discovered there isn't a lot of hard work to be done. All they have to do is ask some "powerful questions" to cast the illusion that they're adding value.
- As progressive as Riot is in its employee policies, HR remains the same as every other company out there. They will not help you. They will only help the company. Do not bother bringing to their attention the problems you've experienced; they'll just run you around conducting interviews and not actually address the issue, especially if you have a grievance towards one specific person and that person has a powerful manager.
- Practicing what you preach is not followed at Riot. Leadership loves to say that it's on you to call out bad people, experiences, people who are "misaligned", etc, but god forbid you challenge a leader when they're being hypocritical or doing a bad job. Your career at Riot will end if you rock the boat, even when it's clearly coming from a good place (like being player-focused). If you're perceived as "complaining" about an issue, you're done (doubly so if you're a woman). Leadership is void of empathy and loves to spin everything so that you're part of the problem when you bring something up. Phrases like, "Why don't you do something about it?" "Is this the appropriate way to bring it up?" are thrown at Rioters when they appropriately call out red flags, ignoring the facts that they have already taken the right steps or them calling it out IS doing something because they don't realistically have the power to affect it.
This also relates to the privilege part I wrote out above: leadership sings about merit and disregards any real struggles people have when the odds are stacked against them. They fail to recognize that people don't "rise to the challenge" in their eyes because they have made it a hostile, unsafe environment to do so, or that issues like sexism make it impossible for people to tackle problems.
- "Misaligned" is a word thrown around by leadership to easily fire people, which really just translates to: "They hurt my fragile ego and I have more power than them so I'll abuse it right now."
- Diversity is not taken seriously. There is a diversity initiative, but the truth is leadership is not empathetic of diversity and doesn't fully internalize the positives of hiring minorities. They fall into the misguided attitudes of, "More minorities should just apply" without, again, recognizing that maybe minorities don't want to for good reason.
- If you're a woman who is looking to succeed, you're expected to act like a type-A man yet you cannot be TOO loud. The line is extremely fuzzy, so it's easier to err on the side of a female "yes man." It was commonplace to find that feedback included gender-based slurs for women, but not for men.
- An open feedback culture is encouraged but you cannot give negative feedback to certain people or you will be shown the door. They will ignore the fact that the negative feedback you give is actually constructive and intending to improve the company, but you will be painted as a negative person yourself. It's a very simple, easy defense tactic from higher-ups, and it's employed frequently. Fragile egos, again. Witch hunts are common. Prepare to be called "difficult to work with" if you give constructive feedback to the wrong people.
- It takes forever to get anything done. Trust is not widely available and there are too many stakeholders at any given point, so don't expect to come out of this job with a resume with tangible deliverables.
- You'll be brainwashed to ignore all of these issues. If you can give into that, I envy you to a small degree.
Gold: 1,990.00
Apr 25 2017 09:09pm
I doubt Riot will still be there in 10 years.
Gold: 8,437.45
Apr 25 2017 09:09pm
Leadership is filled with privileged men who do not recognize their own privilege and destructively wield their lack of awareness.

Diversity is not taken seriously. There is a diversity initiative, but the truth is leadership is not empathetic of diversity and doesn't fully internalize the positives of hiring minorities. They fall into the misguided attitudes of, "More minorities should just apply" without, again, recognizing that maybe minorities don't want to for good reason.

holy shit at the pathetic SJW cuck that wrote this

fucking cali liberal whackjobs BTFO. Prob that phaggot zenon who wrote this
Gold: 1.69
Apr 25 2017 09:16pm
Quote (Wizardmstr @ 25 Apr 2017 23:09)

I'd agree with you if the rest of the comment wasn't so well written and constructed. There may be some misconceptions due to perspective but it is really well wrought, hard to say something so well thought out could be wrong.
Gold: 1,495.80
Apr 25 2017 09:17pm
working @ a game company in 2017 lul
Gold: 0.00
Apr 25 2017 09:17pm
Quote (Wizardmstr @ Apr 25 2017 10:09pm)

to be honest I work for a semi small San Francisco company and it sounds just like ours to an extent.

Without all of the SJW shit in that post.

You are expected to get along with the culture of the company. Partying, drinking, being fit and in shape is not unique to Riot it is huge every where out here.

I have been to the bar with my CEO and other employees. The ones who are really liked do indeed move up faster.. it is how the world works.
Gold: 110,124.89
Apr 25 2017 09:34pm
theres a champion who has a brolaf skin and makes mom jokes

are you surpised?
Gold: 1.69
Apr 25 2017 10:09pm
Quote (Flopps @ 25 Apr 2017 23:34)
theres a champion who has a brolaf skin and makes mom jokes

are you surpised?

sppolf
Gold: 40,000.00
Apr 25 2017 10:11pm
does glassdoor ever hold weight?

was a good lulz

This post was edited by Soccergoal10 on Apr 25 2017 10:11pm
Gold: 8,437.45
Apr 25 2017 10:28pm
Quote (kennysum111 @ 25 Apr 2017 23:17)
to be honest I work for a semi small San Francisco company and it sounds just like ours to an extent.

Without all of the SJW shit in that post.

You are expected to get along with the culture of the company. Partying, drinking, being fit and in shape is not unique to Riot it is huge every where out here.

I have been to the bar with my CEO and other employees. The ones who are really liked do indeed move up faster.. it is how the world works.

Are you telling me people who have more social skills climb the corporate ladder faster?

Shocking!

It's funny though, I tried partying, drinking being in shape at my job and all I did was get fired :P I gotta move to cali
Go Back To League of Legends Topic List
1238Next
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Topic New Poll